Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by hanchard, Sep 6, 2003.

1. hanchard

hanchard New Member

When i was 5 i started Judo, later during the more aggressive early puberty stages, I dabbled in boxing and Muay Thai, tried Wu Shu for a while (way too flowery) and went to Lau Gar for a while, started Aikido- but now have to work every night it is on in Derby, so will have to start something else I love most Japenese systems, and have never been keen on chinese Kung Fu.

Is Wing Chun in its style going to be more flowery like Kung Fu or clean, simple and pecise like the Japanese arts ?

Also any suggestions of something similar to aikido taught on mon, tue or wed nights in Derbyshire area would be seriously appreciated.

Matt.

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Wing Chun is very direct, and definitely non-flowery. :D

Not all Kung Fu styles are as you describe, take a look at some of the Southern systems. I can understand why you might think this from Lau Gar and Wu Shu.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Wing Chun has none of the flowery wushu that you wsh to avoid, so in that sense, it's worth a look. If you didn't already know, WC was Bruce Lee's root style though I guess it'd be hard to tell that by watching his films (so why mention it..?).

It's a close-in system with more hands than feet. You train sensitivity, speed and maneuverability. You could do a lot worse.

Shame about the work schedule - good luck with whatever!

Rgds,
    David

4. hanchard

hanchard New Member

Thanx for the reply, realise i might have been a bit narrow minded RE: Kung Fu, will have to look in to Southern at later date, but I'll def. give Wing Chun a try.
    surprised at fast reply i got though. Work and Uni permitting timewise I should be able to stick with it if i enjoy it.
    Jet Li aswell (remake of 'legend of a fist.' is great)

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Yeah, cos Jet Li ain't 'flowery'... hehe

-David

6. hanchard

hanchard New Member

went to wing chun, really enjoyed it. Still prefer aikido but the movements seemed quite similar. very simple, very clean. deflection not redirection, but good fun though. def going back.
    stupid questin, but i saw blade the other day, dont suppose you know, apart from eskrima and capa' what snipes uses for close in, or his choreographer. someone said hung gar, but i don't believe 'em.
    He seems surprisingly good for a film star though.

7. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

Wing Chun is very direct,and yes it was Bruce's root system.
    Although i do not agree with the statment about his films, just look at the final fight in fist of fury with Bob Baker, the Dungeon sequence in Enter the Dragon, the Fight with Chuck Norris.

Snipes does Kali,Kempo and various others, you can see the Kali at the start of Blade 2 quite clearly, same with the Bourne Identity.

8. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Bruce Lee started with Tai Chi Chuan then he found Yip Man and began his journey with Wing Chun.

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

No he didnt he was a cha cha fighting master before Tai Chi Quan:D

BTW Hanchard good luck finding a class to suit your work schedule:)

10. KungFuGrrrl

did so

the book THE BRUCE LEE STORY by Linda Lee

Page 27

Bruce told Black Belt Magazine in October 1966:
    "I was a punk and went looking for fights" fights would start over little or nothing......shortly after attending La Salle College in California Bruce came home (according to HIS mother) and said he wanted to train in martial arts.

His father practiced tai chi chuan Bruce joined his father but the slowness of the movements did not appeal to Bruce's nature.

His mother agreed to pay the tuition His teacher was the renowned master Yip Man.............:cool:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  11. johndoch

johndoch upurs

LOL, I was joking thats why there's smileys after the sentence. Anyways Cha cha is a form of dancing not a fighting art.

12. KungFuGrrrl

DOH!
    I realised that after I sent my post!!!!! DUHHHHH