Wing Chun striking vs Muay Thai striking for street fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Tman

Tman Valued Member

2. Tman

Tman Valued Member

A lot of it depends on the school and instructor, as well as the training in each style. You might prefer to work out on bags MT style, as opposed to the form work in WC. I'll add to what I said above that MT is also very effective on the street for many reasons.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Now be nice when you reply folks.

4. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I didn't see anything not nice in the persons post that you warned about.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

There's nothing not nice in that post. It's the frank responses to the content I'm worried about. :Angel:

6. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Ah, I see what you're saying.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My money is on Muay Thai in general, not because the art is superior, it's just that it's practiced in such a way that you can practice at almost full strength against a fully resisting opponent. I also think that you're partially right about groin strikes. I have never really thought too much about hitting someone in the groin in a street fight, but I'm confident my other techniques would work better anyway.

8. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

While training Muay Thai, we spent time on things(quit a bit some days) that are not ring legal.
    Also I've always wanted to know how eye gouges and throat are practiced under pressure and at higher speeds?

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

In a street fight, what strikes would you use that would have you off balance if they did not land? Unless you're going for head kicks, which is a big no no in a street fight anyway, there is very little that would have you off balance if you are throwing your techniques properly.

So far I can throw most techniques I have learned in shadow sparring, at varying degrees of power, including kicks. Not once do I ever feel like I would feel vulnerable or off balance.

There have also been times when I have gone for Thai Pads and the holder would move the pad, I still never felt off balance.

The rules in Muay Thai do not restrict it's application as a martial art for self defence.

If you believe they do so, please give an example of how.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You're wrong. At least in terms that this is a problem that is somehow specific to Muay Thai and not a problem that exists in any martial art. If you overcommit yourself and miss, you'll lose balance no matter what technique you are doing.
    Yes. Because Wing Chun practitioners think that their opponent is going to hold still whilst you massage them to death.
    The real difference is that if you did full contact sparring in Wing Chun, you'd realise it is rubbish.
    Any one who has ever sparred in Muay Thai knows that there is no shortage of groin strikes. As unintended as they may have been.
    Yawn.
    The real difference is that sports rely on effectiveness and martial arts like Wing Chun rely on the students believing every word the instructor says.
    And you'll be just at risk of losing your balance as the Muay Thai guy. The difference is, the Muay Thai fighter is practicing throwing his full contact punches at a moving target whilst the Wing Chun fighter is sitting on his butt watching Bruce Lee movies.
    That's funny, given you've clearly never done any Muay Thai. What do you like most about it? The shorts?

11. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

any technique that commits bodyweight and is not supported by a sound structure by the end of it compromises balance. why we see it most in muay thai and not wingchun is that

> muay thai has more exposure to competitive aspects that gives a big incentive to commit weight to strikes.

>wing chun has little exposure to competition and demos do not usually feature full body mass commitment.

PS full body mass commitment in strikes within a competitive ruleset is what is usually called "full-contact fighting"

funny thing though. there was a leitai competition in the 1920's and in the finals was iirc a xingyi guy and an iron body guy. the xingyi guy won, and it was concluded that the main difference is that the iron body guy broke bricks every training while the xingyi guy SPARRED (aka a SPORTIVE/COMPETITIVE endeavour. one could not kill his training partners every training, right? so they had RULES for safety, just like sports)

both are martial arts. one practiced within the context of a martial SPORT. guess who won? :google:

again, BOME, i have never been given a fullweight blow by any WC guy. very close are the haymakers they throw. very sloppy and full of LI and not JIN, if you ask me. the only knockdown i've witnessed were sneaked blows, and it caused them to backpedal and stumble. but i've been knocked down by kickboxers THROUGH MY FOREARMS.

P.S. the only difference between what some people call "martial art" and the martial sports is that the martial sports have an expressed clear goal(knock the other guy out), a parameter (do not get hurt while knocking the other guy out), an incentive(prizes; a sense of domination, expertise,etc.) and most important of all: IMMEDIATE AND FACTUAL FEEDBACK.

KO'ed the other guy+safe and conscious=success.
    getting yourself KTFO'ed= epic fail.

you can excuse away, but it doesn't change the RESULT. and such, the CREATIVE PROCESS(by which human progress) is readily applied to martial sports, leading to its evolution and constant improvement. and all of these is fueled by the GUT KNOWLEDGE, not brain knowledge, of the PRICE OF FAILURE: a world of hurt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  12. Tman

Tman Valued Member

Id definitely agree with that aspect of MT training, going full power with the training without holding back. Sparring work is also incredibly valuable. To add to my previous comments, in my opinion that's the advantage of martial sport training. Yeah groin strikes, I've come up against this in a street fight, its good to be prepared. Another valuable aspect of WC training is defence against multiple opponents. Bullies usually work in groups. Weapons defence also.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

As for rules: "if you can't win with rules, what makes you think that you can win without them" ~Master R. Isla

i agree with his statement.

14. Tman

Tman Valued Member

Moderator, am looking at this on my phone but it seems my posts and the OP's are being grouped together.

15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Can't agree with that statement. Some people are more creatively violent than others.

16. Tman

Tman Valued Member

holyhead jch try and calm down and read my posts, I was giving respect to MT. One should be able to openly discuss the pros and cons of a training style without anger.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Tman

Tman Valued Member

[QUOTE The rules in Muay Thai do not restrict it's application as a martial art for self defence.

If you believe they do so, please give an example of how.[/QUOTE]

Could you name for me the specific technique in MT for groin defence? As far as I know there is none. Similarly WC lacks in ground fighting. All the martial arts have strong areas and weak areas. I've had 2 street fights open with a kick to the groin. Basic judo has also turned a street fight around for me, when I was losing on strikes(was doing Tae Kwon Do at the time, we didn't train for face punches) Being trained in ring fighting rules doesn't work for me. But that's my experience and I advise the OP to try both as they are great styles.

18. holyheadjch

I read your post, and responded to it. I'm not angry, I'm not even surprised, I've long gotten used to the delusions of the 'my style is too deadly to train properly' cult. That doesn't mean I'm going to let their ravings go unchallenged.

19. holyheadjch

You defend your groin in the exact same manner that you defend your inner thigh. Next I suppose you'll be telling us that Muay Thai has no defences against strikes to the inner thigh.

20. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Couple of things to think about, from a MT point of view:

1 - MT isn't always taught 100% for the ring. My gym does occasional 'street-specific' lessons, covering lower-risk strikes and tactics, also wearing street clothes, so it's not like we don't do self-defense situations. We also cover 'group vs group' sparring, and multiple attackers vs single defender, all going at regular MT sparring pace, so I'd say we do get a little preparation for those situations. There's all kind of varations to simulate different things too.

2 - Not every technique we learn is street legal. I've been taught dozens that are not legal in the ring, and MT is also a sport that has some 'grey areas' to be exploited.

3 - I'm trained to hit moving, resisting guys with a whole bunch of different techniques. If I can kick a guy anywhere from his calf to his head, with either leg, from either stance, what makes you think I can't kick you in the balls?

4 - Similarly, if I'm trained to prevent experienced fighters from getting in on me with things like a quick jab or leg kick (basically low risk, high speed moves), what makes you think you're going to land an eye gouge, throat strike, or groin shot?

Edit: point number 2 should say ring legal, not street. . lol