Wing Chun forum?/new forum suggestions?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Adam, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Seeing as about half of the posts in the Kung Fu section are about Wing Chun, how about setting up a seperate section for that particular style of kung fu?

Just a thought :)

Any other suggestions for new forums?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

We've been asked this before Adam.

At the moment, the answer is no, as WC is just one of thousands of KF styles.

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

(Just pretending I didnt read the last post)

I would have to agree with Adam that its worth giving a Wing Chun forum some thought. There seems to be more posting on it than there is on some of the styles that have their own specific forum- capoeira for example. The Kung Fu or CMA section is also one of the few regionally seperated forums so while it is fair point to say it is only one out of thousands of Kung Fu styles. You could also say Aikido is only one out of thousands of Japanese styles its just there is no Japanese style section...

Oh yes and another reason would be it would stop making me feel guilty posting about Wing Chun on the Kung Fu forum. The forum is getting flooded with Wing Chun threads at the minute and like you say Wing Chun is only one style of Kung Fu. There was even a thread posted just because people wanted to escape Wing Chun discussion... http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8463

4. Andy Murray

Like I sad- "At the Moment"

Some members like to be insular and stick to their own topics only. That's fine. Look at the other arts around you though.

We'll be dividing up the Karate section into;

Kyokushinkai, Shotokan, Shuko-Kai, Shoto-Kai, Goju Ryu, Sh1to Ryu, Isshin Ryu etc at this rate.

5. CKava

I think thats a good point but equally its a bit like saying, oh you practice JKD well we dont have a specific JKD section so maybe you should broaden your horizons... (and I do realise there is a JKD forum Im just illustrating a point).

I dont think wanting to discuss the style you practice is necessarily insular either, a TKD practitioner can post their TKD specific enquiries on the TKD forum then pop off and visit the other sections; surely this would be the same if there was a Wing Chun forum PLUS it would give the Kung Fu forum some non-WC space. Well anyway I take your point "At the moment" and I appreciate there is not enough space to give every style its own section, I just think maybe there is a big enough demand to warrant a Wing Chun specific section but c'est la vie... (maybe a poll to find out if theres any interest or if theres a large enough amount of members might be an idea).

6. Andy Murray

I'm not dis-counting what you say CKava,
    I can see that recently, yes, there has been a lot of WC activity, but if you take a step back and look at the kF forum, you'll find that, not only is it the largest of all the TMA forums on MAP, but is made up of many different styles.
    Lau Gar, ShouShu, Hung Gar and Choi Lee Fut are also major contributors.
    Should they have their own section?

7. CKava

All good points. Well youve been here longer and i guess you are in a better position to judge how necessary a seperate forum is, so i defer to your judgement...

8. CKava

Thanks for the link itsari, Ive just signed up- looks like a nice board should be very good when they get a few more members. Maybe you could post a thread about it on the Kung Fu forum? (that is if the MOD's don't mind...)