Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitlov, Mar 14, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No it's not. You're trying to claim there is some sort of potential for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 and Nokia's Lumia range. I've pointed out to date Microsoft have amassed a whopping 1% global market share for Windows Phone 7 and nobody wants the Lumia.

You're reasoning. Windows Phone 7 is a "US centric OS" and the Lumia 710 is the bottom of the range. And it'll all get better once the 800 arrives in the US? That's a straw man right there. You have nothing but your own opinion to suggest Microsoft's and Nokia's fortunes will change with the release of the Lumia 800 is the USA.

When it comes to smart phones where apps are often less than a dollar it's the global market that counts. That's were the big money is. That's why Apple and Samsung are suing each other in multiple countries. It's not enough to be successful in one big market as Microsoft discovered with their Zune media player. Which never really made it out of North America.

Now Nokia are struggling with their whole Lumia range globally. Why would Americans want it? What's different about America?

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Fair point. But only half the people who tested it like it enough to recommend it? That's still not a great result.

Yes :)

So far as I know you won't have a choice unless you stick with Windows 7 on the desktop. Which brings back the headache Microsoft have with XP users refusing to upgrade. Except this time it will be Windows 7 users refusing to upgrade.

I don't like Gnome Shell or Unity either. I can see how they would work well on a tablet. But I'm not using a tablet and almost nobody using Gnome for their desktop uses Gnome on a tablet. But I do think they mix the tablet interface and desktop interface more successfully than what's proposed for Windows 8.

Not at all. And my opinion was not based on just the PC World survey. You're just talking bollocks now.

Awesome for you. :cool:

The patents are trivial. They're suing Barns & Noble using patents for things like loading a back ground image in a web browser. And I agree Apple's whole "rounded corners" trip is ridiculous.

It makes no difference if Microsoft impress me or not. The point I was making is they've failed to impress the bloggers they use to create their public image. That is a problem they have to fix.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It matters because of confirmation bias. If you are deadfast against Microsoft as a whole, you rearrange what you see inf the world to fit that preexisting dislike. That's how you can look at the fact that AnandTech (one of the leading tech blogs for the past 15 years) really liked Windows 8 Consumer Preview and "Jamie's Mostly Linux Stuff" blog didn't, and come to the conclusion:

That said, we'll just have to wait and see how Nokia does when they re-enter the US smartphone market with their full lineup. I think they'll do quite well. You don't. We'll see. I'll have to admit--I'm personally quite taken by the Lumia 900 (which appears to be a US-only flagship model) from what I've seen and read.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The anger is seething in your posts. We're talking about a phone operating system, not your mother, for pete's sake.

As for different tastes, you really don't think Americans and Europeans have, on average, different tastes in consumer goods? Compare Sony and HP laptop sales on each side of the Atlantic. Europeans love Sony; Americans don't. Compare Chevrolet versus Fiat sales on either side of the Atlantic. My gut feeling--and I always said it was a gut feeling--is that the Windows Phone's interface and Metro aesthetic was going to be more successful with American audiences than European. Everyone I've shown my phone to (all Americans) have fawned over Metro...including my wife, who generally is an Apple loyalist but now owns a Windows Phone as well.

For now, Windows Phone is held back by a lack of high-end hardware and a lack of a major advertising blitz about the OS. We'll see how it does when the big push comes (my understanding is that there's going to be a major Windows Phone push in Q3 2012, when Windows 8 drops for computers and tablets and when there's higher-end Windows Phone hardware available on the market, such as the Lumia 900).

About your latest link: this thread is first and foremost about Windows Phone, and the first sentence of the post demonstrates that she loves her Windows Phone. She only expresses disappointment about one thing. Not about Metro, or Windows Phone itself, or even Windows 8 itself. It's about which of the two OSes she thinks should go on tablets. She wants Windows Phone, not Windows, on tablets. That's it. That's her sole complaint. I'll admit it's an unusual choice to not use a phone OS on a tablet (that's what Android and iOS tablets are, basically), but it could turn out fantastic, and regardless, it doesn't mean that the desktop OS is bad or that the phone OS is bad. Indeed, the fact that she wants Windows Phone on tablets means she really likes Windows Phone, and this thread is about Windows Phone, right?

Incidentally: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...rd-wide-web/whatever-years-most-annoying-word

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Incidentally, a nice little bit of product placement in the video for "We Are Young" by Fun ft. Janelle Monae (great song, by the way):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMFF_yts"]Fun.: We Are Young ft. Janelle Monáe [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube[/ame]

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think maybe the debate over the dual personality of Windows 8, the desktop OS, deserves its own thread (that's what that link was about). This isn't a thread about Windows 8 or any desktop OS for that matter. It's a thread about Windows Phone. The phone operating system. Windows Phone is Metro all the way through (and it's a simple, easy-to-use, great phone OS as a consequence). There's no dual personality in an HTC Titan, Nokia Lumia, or Samsung Focus S.

Whether someone likes or hates the idea of having a dual-personality desktop OS (and I see both sides of that argument) has literally nothing to do with whether Windows Phone is a good smartphone OS. This thread is about the latter. I think it's a brilliant smartphone OS and was trying to start a discussion about it, because frankly, not a lot of people know about it at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Couldn't care less now. I'm clearly too biased to debate anything. :rolleyes:

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Okay, bye.

Back to the the topic at hand, after two weeks with Windows Phone (one week with an HTC Trophy, which I returned when I decided to switch carriers, and a second week with an HTC 7 Pro, a similar phone but with a slide-out keyboard for texting and emails), I can't rave enough.

The good

The interface is smooth, rock-solid, and polished. Easy to use, easy to read, attractive, and just in general makes interacting with a smartphone a pleasure instead of a hassle.

Looooooove the look. My wife has lime green tiles on a white background; I'm using deep red tiles on a black background. Both designs are easier to read, and in my opinion more attractive, then the mess of tiny icons you get with iOS and Android.

Zune continues to be awesome. I've downloaded hundreds of dollars in new music recently, all for free with a $9.99/month pass. I can listen to it in my car (by plugging my Windows Phone into the Aux In port), while walking the dog (with earbuds), or at home (by plugging my laptop into external speakers. There's no mobile device besides a Windows Phone that can play Zune Subscription downloads.

Live tiles are great. I love that my calendar tile says what my next appointment is without even clicking on it.

The bad

Neither HTC model have a great screen. The viewing angles suck on both. This is one reason why I'm clamoring for more high-end hardware running Windows Phone.

Third-party app selection really is poor compared to what you can find in the Apple app store, Android Marketplace, etc. An inherent problem with an OS that isn't a big piece of the pie yet.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I think this is pretty much destined to change - the store of developers using .net (particularly the hobbyist type who'll develop apps for a phone) is somewhat large than those using Objective C, or java. I've been doing a bit of Android development and frankly it's clunky and awkward (or was until AIDE became available), but being able to use Visual studio for WP dev is going to give it a huge boost when it gets going.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Haters gonna hate. The Lumia 900 hasn't even hit the US market yet. How can you call it a failure?

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The last link isn't just a "hater" as you put it. It's the blog of a former Nokia exec.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

He's got a hatred of American companies and an incredible love affair with Symbian. Of course he's going to hate on Nokia dropping Symbian and adopting an OS from an American company.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...join-google-android-or-microsoft-phone-7.html

Like I said: haters gonna hate.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Call him what you like. He knows the market better than any of us. He knows Nokia better than any of us. And he's right about at least four things.

1. Nokia are insane not to release their flag ship super phones which run Symbian and Maemo in the US. Especially after the US press lavished them with praise.

2. Nokia should be giving the Chinese all the assurances they need. They'd be really dumb to let anybody take any market share from them in China.

3. Windows Phone can't do all the stuff Symbian or Maemo can do. Therefore it's not ready to replace Symbian or Maemo.

4. Nokia should be leveraging their own manufacturing plants.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People didn't think Android would succeed when it was first announced.

You should never count Microsoft out.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Funny, I remember there being quite a bit of anticipation on the build up to Android. The web was rife with rumours of a Google phone years before Android finally emerged. At this stage I don't think Windows Phone 7 is going to make any massive impact on the market. In the USA or anywhere else. There are Windows Phone 7 handsets in the USA already and they're just not selling. So it's not as though the US market hasn't seen Windows Phone in action.

It's not even just Windows Phone 7 that's struggling. Microsoft have been struggling in the mobile device market for a long time. Zune basically failed. It never even came close to competing with the iPod and iTunes. Kin phone failed outright. Windows Mobile 6.5 while disappointing to some, was good enough to actually block adoption of Windows Phone 7. And the less said about the Sidekick debacle the better. And then of course Windows Phone 7 got off to a bumpy start to say the least. At one point it was losing data. Then it was chewing through customers data allowance. And then OS updates were either failing to download or failing to install properly leaving customers with bricked phones. And then there was the issue with the way Windows Phone used SD cards. It basically reformatted them in such away they couldn't be used with any other device.

Now I fully accept any of this stuff could have happened to HTC or Apple or Samsung. And indeed they've had their share of problems. Some of them very serious. The difference with Microsoft however is all of their problems have come relentlessly one after the other. And then they allowed themselves to be late to the smart phone market. And of course Apple and Google & Co. have managed to produced a tablet PC people actually want to use at a price point people are willing to pay. Something Microsoft has failed to do for over a decade now.

That sort of performance damages confidence. It creates a negative perception, not just of the product. But also of the company. I really don't think Nokia's Lumia range is going to change that. People know Nokia have the technology to build a more feature rich and capable phone than the Lumia range is offering. And for that reason they'll keep waiting at least until Windows Phone can more or less match Symbian and Maemo on feature parity. And in the mean time the iPhone and Android will keep getting better.

Microsoft have a very steep hill to climb.

19. marcwagz

marcwagz New Member

i have a samsung focus

great operating system prefer it over both iphone and android

you say it has worse apps, but all the games I want are on it and I find it has better games than the iphone

Iphone COPIED fruit Ninja and gave it a stupid name I can't remember

20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/28/nokia-unveils-the-lumia-800c-in-china/

I have hopes that the CDMA-ready 800C will make it to US Cellular, the largest CDMA provider in the US.