Will Mayweather actually retire this time?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Van Zandt, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

An announcement made on the BBC Sport website on 6 June:

"American great Floyd Mayweather Jr has announced his retirement from boxing.

Widely considered boxing's best pound-for-pound fighter, Mayweather retires unbeaten with a record of 39-0.

The 31-year-old's final bout was in Las Vegas last December when he knockd out Britain's Ricky Hatton to retain his WBC welterweight crown.

Mayweather's retirement is a blow for Manchester's Hatton, who had been targeting a rematch with the five-weight world champion in 2009.

In May last year, Mayweather said he would quit boxing after beating Oscar de la Hoya in Las Vegas to claim the WBC light-middleweight title.

He subsequently changed his mind and was expected to meet fellow American de la Hoya in a rematch on 20 September.

"This decision was not an easy one for me to make, because boxing is all I have done since I was a child," Mayweather said in a statement.

"These past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport," he said.

"I am sorry to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner (the proposed de la Hoya fight)."

"But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time."

Mayweather won a bronze medal at the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world titles at super-featherweight, lightweight, light-welterweight, welterweight and light-middleweight."

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7441343.stm.

Who thinks he will actually retire this time?

If he did fight again, who do you think it should be?

2. duffman

duffman New Member

I think he will fight again and it should be against Miguel Cotto without a doubt. Provided Cotto stays undefeated until mid next year.
    I wouldnt be surprised if Mayweather tried to cash in on a warm up with Hatton in early 2009

3. Nails

Nails Valued Member

He think he will wait to see if Pacqiauo will beat De La Hoya and maybe fight Pacqiauo if he wins.

4. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

I'd say that would be about right, although dlh should be too big for manny..

5. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Guess not... :)