why?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tekkengod, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

1st off i don't want anyone to throw a ****y fit, not trying to offend anyone, but heres my question. in all reality, why boxing? why? why something so basic? i'm no boxer, but i've fought and trained with plenty, and they all seem to be the same. dictate range, sweep the leg, down they go, on the ground they die. it just bugs me that they have no ability to gaurd low and kicking techniques that dictate range always have the same effect, they have no idea what to do so they bum rush in an attempt to bypass my range and get in punching range, and by then they're stuck in the clinch. and given all the blocking with the outter arms, why isn't limb hardening prevelant. i've heard that originally back in the 1700s and such boxing was a very well rounded art that included punching, kicking, locks and a small bit of grappling and weapons! what the hell happened that put it in the state it is today? anyone can throw a punch, nothing unique. once again, please no angry rants, just an opinion and some questions, if you feel the need to yell at me and argue, feel free to PM me. i love to debate.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Anyone can throw an incredibly bad punch, throwing a decent one's a different matter entirely. If you want an all-rounded art the cross-train, if you want to learn good punching technique and footwork, then boxing's a good choice.

3. jjpp

jjpp New Member

I agree with you certainly boxing is not a very well rounded MA, but its a sport that a lot of people like to do, because its always been very popular and because they feel that a fight will work like that, standing up throwing punches. It might well do until you meet a proper streetfighter who will kick or take u to the ground and then the boxer will just get killed.

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Considering the tone of your post I would suggest that if you don't want people to rant back at you, you probably shouldn't rant at them... Starting off with "why boxing? why? why something so basic? i'm no boxer" seems like a good way to get people annoyed.

From your description the boxers your sparring with are not the best exponents of their sport. That aside boxing as a style may not focus on a huge variety of techniques but the techniques it does focus on are functional and boxers learn them well (quality not quantity). Add to that a dizzying array of combinations, dodging, weaving, guarding and footwork and I would say its not as basic as you imagine it to be. I don't think boxing coaches just say "well you all know how to punch so just punch"...

I don't do boxing but I have alot of respect for boxers because generally speaking they train hard and from watching professional boxers fight its clear that boxing is a very technical sport its not just two guys standing together thumping each other. However, an important thing to note is boxing is still a sport it makes no pretensions to being anything else... yes they don't focus on leg defences but I think most boxers are also aware of that (aside from the ones you spar apparently). On the street a boxer could get took to the ground but so could anyone; so the solution for boxers would seem to be the same as for everyone else- train grappling. Lots of more complicated styles have theoretical techniques for defending on the ground but its a matter of opinion as to how practical such techniques are.

Out of curiousity what style do you practice?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I would refer you to the following quote:-

So its resonable to assume that, similarly to Judo, certain techniques were removed to make the art "safer" as a sport.

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

First of all, I don't understand the question (if there is one)

From this it seems like you are fighting MMA rules with a boxer.
    Boxing is a sport with rules. These rules are different to MMA.
    You may as well say "why judo? It's got no punches for Gods sake." Judo is a sport with rules. These rules are different to MMA.

Neither a boxer or judo player will play with rules that are outside their sport (TakkenGod- some people do MA for sport not just self-defence)
    Would you blame a soccer player for not being able to dunk a basketball? No? Why, because as a sport, a soccer player has no interest in being able to dunk...ITS JUST NOT IN HIS SPORT!

Or maybe you are just too gifted http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25282 See 2nd post.

:rolleyes:

7. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Asinus asinorum.

This sounds kinda familiar...

I'm sure some of the kickboxers remember this guy...

:woo: :bang:

8. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Bluce, it will sound familiar. Its the same language; Trollish. ;)

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's really pretty simple tekkengod. It has everything to do with why people train. If they're training to participate in the sport of boxing, then they're not training against takedowns or leg attacks. Those aren't part of the sport of boxing. And would be a waste of their time. If they're training to incorporate boxing into a bigger, more complete fighting methodology, then they're likely crosstraining with something else. Or should be. So that they can learn to contend with some very likely attacks.

In either event, your observations aren't very conclusive. You're either dealing with people for whom defending against certain attacks isn't a priority or with people who haven't gotten there yet.

As part of a larger context, boxing is a great training methodology. As is grappling. And neither is diminished for the fact that they don't address knives or gunplay or multiple attackers or any of the myriad other things that people like to bring up to try and disprove the validity of one viewpoint or another.

By the way, if you've got video of these sparring matches with boxers, I'd personally LOVE to see them.

Stuart

10. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

You seem to think its VERY basic and its not.....as semphoon said not evryone trains for self defense why would thety be learning to kick etc when they do boxing you sort of showed yourself up by that post "in all reality, why boxing? why? why something so basic?"......

11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Most amateur boxers could could into most other MA classes and wipe the floor with most students, simply becasue it is a very effective hand-striking art and constantly uses sparring during training.

12. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

In self defence situations in my experience you are often only in a position to use your hands (eg attacked when seated, in moving vehicle such as bus or train) and to use a few simple hard hitting techniques. Boxing is exactly tailored to this! Add some cross training in grappling and you are soon better able to defend yourseld than with a lot of training in a lot of other combat sports. Plus the hard training gets you fit and toughens you up, which is also important for self defence.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Semphoon has hit the nail on the head really.

Boxing is a sport, who's students do not train for leg kicks; but this does not mean it's of no use.

For example, ground fighting isn't allowed in Thai Boxing fights; this does not mean that Thai boxing is useless.

Boxing is, however, a very simple, direct and effeciant cut out the rubbish striking art who's effectivness has been proved many many times; and if you take a martial artist , and teach him boxing, how to use his hands, then he will improve greatly.

I remember how fast I progressed when I took up boxing along side kickboxing. Because it was all hands orientated, I really began to get comfortable at fighting close range.

14. punchfast

punchfast New Member

Why Boxing

Yukimushu nailed it. Boxing is just another style with it's own nuances. Funny how most martial artists eventually want to learn "boxing" movements, and say they've gotten better because of it.

15. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

boxer

Answer: A good boxer can knock a man out in a split second and is always dangerous.

Obviously if you are fighting MMA or no rules versus a boxer who has no concept of other fighting ranges- and you do- like the first poster on this thread- you can make a boxer look silly- like in UFC1- but if he is cross trained and educated or you make a mistake BEWARE.

16. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

The answer to "Why" is simply "Because" ;)

The reason I got into boxing was because of my mother's side of the family; my Grandfather was a boxer, my uncles were boxers, and even my aunt was a boxer (she won the Golden Gloves a few years back). Actually even my father was on his schools boxing team. The way I got into boxing was from my family teaching me all the time, then when I got older I started going to boxing gym's and such.

I didn't really choose it over any other MA, but none the less boxing has some of the best hand striking out of all the fighting styles, and it makes you into a tough SOB. True, there is no grappling or kicking, but that's why I cross train. I did Wrestling and Shaolin Kempo when I was a kid. I honostly don't think Shaolin Kempo has ever helped me in a fight despite the years I spent training as a young lad (though I'm still glad I did it because my flexibility and acrobatics were off the charts). Boxing with an occasional wrestling move got me out of all my fights when I was little. Many MA styles simply don't defend well against the strikes you throw in boxing.

Now that I'm older I cross train in different styles, but when I'm in a real fight about 70% of my hand strikes are still the ones I learned in Boxing. If you really beat these so called "boxers" so easily then they probably aren't very good ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok. sorry, maybe i should rephrase my post. what i'm saying is, WHEN it is used in an MMA type of situation, i think they lose alot, as far as technique. no doubt that they could win by KO, but the reason i posted to begin with was i watched 2 of my friends spar, and #1 was really good but he was reluctant to make contact, so he just came in with a flurry of punches and #2 pulled him into the clinch, then #1 tried to pull away with punches to the abdomen and #2 just fired away with one solid straight knee. and it was over. it bothered me cause i've seen him kick. and grapple and lock, and punch well too, but he got slaughtered, i guess what i'm saying, is
    enlighten me to the intricacies of boxing.

18. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I guess the best advice is - go train at a decent boxing gym for 2 or 3 years.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

just for the hell of it, i just might do that.

20. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

What other styles have you done?

Considering the fact that you're a Martial Artist I doubt it will take as long as 2 or 3 years for you to change your views on Boxing. I predict that if you train for a few months in a real boxing gym you'll change your veiws completely.