Why train?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47MartialMan, Jul 27, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Over many years, I have had this conversation with students, teachers, and colleagues about why some and some do not, continue to practice a given martial art. Although, long after some have obtained proficient skill to achieve certain initial reasons of training. These initial reasons or goals, of training are also diverse but common. The initial reasons are self defense, confidence, comradery , a desire to compete, , and exercise.

Can you give a somewhat in-depth reason why you still train?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I train for the process itself rather than the ends. I like to sweat, to be put under pressure to surmount pressure and to have the truth of myself exposed through a certain amount of physical adversity. When people talk of the spiritual virtues of martial arts I think the grind and rigor of contact training is where that is manifest for me. I love the feel of living purely in the moment of a roll or spar and the sensation of stretching off my battered body after a session.

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Gets me out of the house!

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I like to hug dudes.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Since I'm rather new to it I'm not actually the target audience, but I can give the statement of one of my teacher: Because he enjoys doing it.
    An awesome reason in my opinion.

6. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

I've only been training for 5 years which I guess makes me a relative newbie but I liked your question so thought I would answer it.

I train because I enjoy it, because it takes me out of my comfort zone, because I learn different things about myself (many of which apply to other parts of my life), because I like a challenge, because I have young-ish kids and exercise is part of extending my shelf life and because it's good for my mental health (Mr Bee says I'm an easier person to live with when I am training - this is undoubtedly true).

My work involves sitting still, thinking, talking and typing so I definitely need the contrast that kung fu gives me.

7. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I continue to train because it's my anchor.

I've seen my fair share of hardship in life (we all have our stories) but at each obstacle I had that one thing to ground me and keep me centered and not forget who I am.

I started in martial arts at the age of 13. I began training at my current karate dojo at 14 after trying Judo and JJJ. My Karate instructor became a father figure for me. My dad wasn't around and I don't have a very good relationship with my mom. My instructor gave me all the life lessons that built the character I have now. I am who I am as a direct result of training in martial arts.

I continue to train because I'm a martial artist. No matter what else I do in life I've decided that is something I want to stay constant. So in the face of depression, the seizures and whatever else comes my way I still have that anchor that keeps me who I am and that choice I make that allows me to have some semblance of control over my life. I continue because I don't know any other way, I can't imagine my life without Karate as part of it.

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

For me its a nice change of pace from work and home life. Also, I get to beat the stuffing out of people legally and with consent.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I still enjoy training, that is the main thing for a lot of people I think. IME, most of the people who have been at it 10+ years are doing it because they still enjoy it, or are making money at it, or both of the aforementioned.

10. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

When I started my parents saw I had a interest and thought it would help discipline me and control my then pretty bad temper.
    21 years and minus the temper I train for a number of reasons
    1)Increase my combative skills and awareness
    2)Fitness, I sometimes run into old school friends who have not done any form of physical pursuit apart from lifting fags and pint glasses and they look at least 10 years older than me..scary!
    3)Self expression. I love the art of it and the feeling of pulling off a complicated throw/submission/strike and only in the last few years have I developed an appreciation of kata which I hated and if I am honest turned my nose up for most of my time training. Doing flow drills/combinations is one of my favourite ways of relaxing, my wife hates it through.
    4) I love it, my wife when we were first seeing each over wanted me to find another pastime as I was always bruised or injured, I told her I had been married to my martial arts longer than I had known her so best not make me choose. She knows it part of who I am now and we are looking to put my son into formal training when he is ready.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I train because I love it and I want to stay in reasonable shape until I die of old age. There are reasons why I love it, but that doesn't really matter. If I didn't enjoy what I was doing, I'd quit because life is too short to waste on things you don't like if you are in a position to choose something else to do in your free time.

12. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Why train? Well, looking back at my adult life I've learned that I really need some kind of goal to exercise for daily, a passion for learning and improving towards something.

Without a passion, I just get very depressed.

So, throughout the years I've been doing things like playing guitar or writing music or learning Japanese or how to program computer games ir whatever. It's arbitrary but I need something to occupy my minds need for reason and growth.

M.A. just kinda..came across at my path this year and it just clicks. It keeps me in shape and active and gets me out of the house.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I second Count Ducky's sentiments.
    I'd also add that I also train to serve as an "active lifestyle" role model for my kids.
    And in addition I get to punch other people's little kids without anyone complaining. :)

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is how I started 40+ years ago. This was told by a friend of my mother's. She said; "Put him in Judo like I did Brett, his attitude will change just like Brett's did"

Except for me, I had a resentment at first rather than a interest, which came days after