Why did you choose Boxing??

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hades, Aug 18, 2005.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW SAME HERE!!!!!! :D lol

2. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

MA/boxing chose me as well, the only thing apart from LFC i have ever been into(apart from women that is :D )

3. Developing

Developing Valued Member

When I was growing up I was one of those kids who was really good at "slapboxing" but never really wanted to go over to the gym and "play" with the big boys in the ring. Anyway years later I met a guy who won the golden gloves twice I think, and he had a set of students just like any kareteka, judoka or any other martial artist teacher does and he offered to teach me boxing for free. How can you say no to that? Also it does wonders for us recovering asthmatics. What SlipTheJab said cannnot be overemphasized the wind of a boxer is spectacular.

4. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Best looking reason I've ever seen my friend. :D

5. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

nothing more to be said my friend, nice :D , keeps me consistent

6. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I don't know how to describe it. I didn't really choose it, but it didn't choose me either. My one instructor, Gary Schroeder, just told us all one night that it was time we learned to kickbox(MT style) and learn western boxing, and since he's been a high ranking fighter in both styles I figured alright, so now I guess you could say I do MMA along with my TKD and FMA. But I have to say, after the first night I really thought about backing down and chickening out, but I didn't and I'm so glad I didn't. Boxing is a part of me, it's a very nice fighting system, and when you fight those "chavs" as ya'll call um, it comes in great handy, especially when it's one that thinks he can "box".

7. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Just b/c dad told me to learn or get hit otherwise! I didn't take his lessons too seriously until a boy in elementary school beat me up on my first day at school in some early grade. He was a skilled little pugilist! I can laugh about it now, but it really hurt back then. Needless to say, I sheepishly asked dad to teach me again and promised that I'd be more attentive and enthusiastic :D That boy did me a favor in retrospect and I've been practicing boxing amongst other MA forms ever since. A nice happy ending :)

8. Ron Thomp

Ron Thomp New Member

:eek: I thought I would be the only one! lol

Hades, "Hajime No Ippo" is an excellent anime/manga about boxing. Google it sometime! (Or just order the series from an anime store. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I'm also sure BoxBabaX would agree too lol.) :D

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Sounds like you started boxing for the wrong reason! :D

10. Ron Thomp

Ron Thomp New Member

lol :p

Well, Hajime No Ippo was more of an inspiration, sorta like the movie "Rocky" is for some people. It made me want to experience the challenge of boxing; the difficult training, the skills needed, finding the weakness of an opponent and exploiting it. A thrilling sport indeed. :D

11. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

...'Cause I'm a ruffian. :p

Western boxing was my first intro to MA. I liked it because I went from complete inexperience to full contact...good way to condition a person mentally for never giving up, and controlling his fear...even better way to learn how to take punches to your face and body. :)

And on the side, you get healthy with high endurance levels and increase in muscle.