Wht material is appropreate for yellow belt?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by selfdefensepath, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selfdefensepath

selfdefensepath Banned Banned

Hi, I know this might sound wrong, but... Ive taken several years of stand up martial arts (mixed system) but Ive nevr wrestled or done a lot of juijitsu except the couple years I was in the army and I just got the basic one week course. Im in the process of developeing my own system but the prolem is I dont want this to be a strictly stand up system It must incorperate ground fighting and for that Im turning to juijitsu and catch wrestleing. So as a guy that believes in practiceing what he preaches I intend to develope my system then achieve dan rank, so my question to all you juijitsu badasses is what juijitsu material is yellow belt level and where can I find legit test requrements from white belt to black belt, again the process im currently engaged in is challengeing to say the least, Ive tried to do this right, I believe that a system is like a fish tank and I dont want to steep in a bad environment if you get what I mean. I thank you for reading.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I suggest you don't triple post. Good lord, are you using dial up?

3. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

:cry:

Attached Files:

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Please post a thread only one time in the relevant forum. Posting the same exact thing 3 and 4 times is not only highly annoying but also against the Terms Of Service you agreed to when you became a MAP member.

I've removed your other posts... this one stays up. One is all you need.

5. Ero-Sennin

This is the second time this has happened on MAP today, could there be another problem causing this?

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's useless to try to develop your own system when you haven't developed yourself first. Go join a Judo/Jujutsu/BJJ school and give it a decade or so.

7. selfdefensepath

I dint do that on purpose, sorry Im not sure why that happened.

8. warriorofanart

To develop your own system you need to escape this world of materialism and go deep into the mountains nearest to you.

There you need to observe the gentle fluttering of the butterfly; mimic it.

The gracefulness of an eagles as it swoops to catch its prey, whether on land or water; make every opportunity count.

The silent running of the wolves as they pass through the grass like the wind; be silent, but deadly.

...and the shrewd art of making inflammatory or obviously stupid comments of trolls; practice until you perfect it.

The art will basically build itself afterwards.

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I'd say at bare minimum you should get the equivalent of a teaching license in the style of grappling you intend to teach or hire someone who fits that bill to teach for you before even thinking about putting together a curriculum.

That'd be purple belt or so in BJJ or an actual teaching license or menkyo kaiden in many JJJ.

A big part of putting together a curriculum hinges on how much pressure testing/resistant training you intend to have at any given level.

The way grading for a rank is done in my school may work for you. There is a collection of different categories, like clinch throws, sacrifice throws, armlocks, chokes, escapes, leg takedowns, exotics, etc. Each category has a number for each rank. When testing for a rank, the student has to demonstrate that many separate techniques for each category.

So for brown belt someone might have to demonstrate thirty leglocks, fifteen leg takedowns, twenty five armlocks, ten escapes, and so on.
    And then everyone rolls with eachother.

Mostly this is just an opportunity to show off because when you roll every day with a person you know pretty much what level he or she is at, and if the person isn't ready for a green belt, he's not going to get to test for one anyway.

EDIT: Also, obligatory SAMBO advert: Try SAMBO too. It meshes well with striking, has a solid takeodwn game geared towards self-defense and usually doesn't skimp on groundwork like Judo schools sometimes do.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. selfdefensepath

Well youve missed he spirit of what Im actually doing here. First off I dont beleive in classic system philosophy that states you need to train a decade to know how to fight, I can give a rats **** about unimportant to combat cultural neuances. I just need some help in getting my hands on some material, do you know where I can get that.

11. Kurtka Jerker

Uh, glappling schools?

12. Ero-Sennin

Dear:

[x ] Longtime member
    [ x] Global/topic mod
    [ ] Practitioner of another style
    [x ] Experienced martial artist
    [x ] Sports martial artist
    [ ] Mixed martial artist

You Are Being Trolled Because:

[ x] I have learnt how to fight from DVDs/videogames/books
    [ ] I know iron body techniques, but won't tell you
    [ ] I want you to tell me how to do iron body techniques
    [ ] I want to know, is tae kwon do all about kicks
    [ ] I would like to know what is the best school in my area
    [ ] I would like to discuss katanas being used to slice meteors in half
    [ ] I would like to find my nearest stockist of smoke bombs
    [ x] I do not know how to use the search function
    [ ] I think MAP is crap
    [ ] I want to know, who would win in a match between style X & style Y
    [ ] I reckon that the mods are biased and do a crap job
    [ ] I would like to know which is the best way to condition my shins, kicking lamp posts, or using rolling pin
    [ ] I found this wicked funny site, www.realultimatepower.com, check it out!
    [ x] I have come to the realisation that practicing martial arts is stupid and has no benefit in a fight
    [ x] I found a X vs. Y video, this fight proves X is better than Y.
    [ ] I would like some advice on traditional hea... Liddell beats Couture by submission!
    [ ] i cnt/dnt hv tim 2 rite proply
    [ ] My sensei said he can fly
    [ ] UFC is not realism
    [x ] Also I train with and regularly beat the Gracie's, and I can flap my arms faster than a hummingbird
    [ ] I would like to tell everyone that lifting weights makes you slow
    [ ] Bruce Lee said boards don't hit back
    [ ] I THINK YOU ARE ALL SUXXORS!!1!

Therefore, You Must:

[ x] Spend no time answering my question, and just correct my grammar
    [ ] Streak through this thread
    [x ] Lock the thread
    [x ] Sinbin/ban me
    [x ] Post amusing pictures, totally off the topic at hand
    [x ] Pwn me to the extreme
    [ x] Make me cry, through hyperflaming
    [ ] All of the above

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] You're lucky it's my bedtime
    [x ] I will make a website with crap background music wading people off MAP
    [ x] scru u gys, im goin hme
    [ ] Bruce Lee is God
    [ x] Watch your back, I'll be lurking in the shadows constantly
    [x ] I'm telling my mum on you
    [x ] ^&*%#$&*^&
    [ x] U R A11 LAM3, LAM3 SUXXORZ!!!!
    [ ] All of the above.

13. selfdefensepath

Ok heres the thing, I totally agree that I should be qualified to teach all the material that I intend to present to students, but Im also not looing for the complete juijitsu system, just the meat and potatoes.

14. Kurtka Jerker

Yeah about five years in a CACC, Judo or SAMBO school would fit the bill, then.
    In order to be a competent teacher, you have to be a competent grappler. There's more to it than just having an instructional on hand. You say you were in the military. I mean really, would you trust a guy who just bought a home-defense book to teach you how to clear houses?

15. warriorofanart

I am glad I didn't go to bed early! Just the meat and potatoes? Muhahahaha!

There have been brave souls such as yourself Selfdefensepath that sought to walk the long untrodden path of developing a newer, more effective style of self-defense.

There names are recorded in the annuals of MAP's history as those who failed but at least did an entertaining job about it. I hope you'll be one of those. :D

KJ, you're humoring him too much.

16. Kurtka Jerker

Yeah, but it's breaking up the slow parts in Skyrim and I might get a chance to ramble aimlessly about sambo, so eh.

17. selfdefensepath

OK heres the deal I just wanna know whre to find the material im pretty sure its out there but I havent found it. Im not sure if the uy who tauht me how to clear a room had ever really done it or not, he showed me once then gave me a machine gun and toldme to do it so anyway about that.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Since apparently what I just said didn't sink in let me rephrase it in simpler language.

Don't create a system when you currently suck. Train and give it time so you don't suck.

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If he's clearing rooms with an actual machinegun then yes he's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is why if you're gullible you don't make friends through your World of Warcraft account.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Which machine gun was that, if you don't mind me asking? And what was the method used? I've never heard of a room-clearing technique that one person could demonstrate.

Anyway, you're not taking this teaching thing very seriously if you don't want to become proficient in something before you teach it to people. It sounds like you want something you can regurgitate to impress the simpleminded rather than any actual substantial material to teach.

How would the grappling fit into the bigger picture of your self defense curriculum? Would the emphasis be on submissions, remaining standing, grounded positional dominance, grounded striking or would it be purely a backup method to return to standing fighting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.