Who Controls?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Apr 4, 2013.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

What was the punishment?

JWT, as you said, they can legitimately claim to do shotokan, so where is the problem? I am talking about frauds here.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

They were closed down.

3. puma

puma Valued Member

No fine or anything? Was there anything to stop them starting elsewhere, or under a different name?

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It never went to court or anything, they hadn't really got established, they'd only been open for a couple of weeks. I think they just told them to wind it up or they would be prosecuted.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Any links to the group - or would you prefer to keep it hypothetical?

6. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I dont think thats what Puma means here when the question was asked. :) Puma means mcdojos and other people committing fraud, me thinks, not people legitimately teaching Shotokan who have a bit of a difference in it.

7. puma

puma Valued Member

8. John Titchen

There are some things about that club that I don't like, the sword stuff for example, but it's a children's club and the beginner and senior grade standards are what I'd expect of a children's club. It's also EKF approved, so the instructor will have had to have provided proof of legitimate grades.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

The sword stuff was dreadful!!!

Haven't watched many of the others clips - but that doesn't bode well.

Why do people do that?

Gary

10. spaced

spaced Valued Member

Regardless of whether there is a case or not, its things like this that give Martial Arts, Clubs and Associations a bad name

11. puma

puma Valued Member

As if you have to have proof of grades with the EKF! That was funny! Look at some of the groups they licence. It's a joke. This Steve Perry bloke has no Wado grades, I can assure you. He is a disgrace. There is no excuse for him. If it is a kids club, well, they are useless and wasting their time with him! Anyone training with him and reading this, you are being conned! And don't let him teach you sword. It's dangerous!

12. John Titchen

I've obviously been misinformed. I was recently told that for any Dan grade awarded by an EKF affiliated body, the EKF would be informed and that they would kick up a fuss over any irregularities.

Do you have evidence for this?

13. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, who taught him? There is no Wado in those videos. Fantastic Bassai-dai team kata though!

14. puma

puma Valued Member

The association is the B.M.A.K.G, and there is no Wado links. Or Ju-jitsu for that matter as Mr Perry claims.

See, this is the problem. The EKF are actually backing frauds like this. This is just one example out of thousands.

15. John Titchen

Steve Perry has a 2nd Dan in Wado Ryu according to the club's facebook. I can't find (and I'm not prepared to spend time searching in depth) any outside online source verifying that - but then I'd hardly expect to. He could have been a member of any number of Wado groups and I wouldn't expect them to have had all of the Dan grades they've ever awarded online - most Karate groups don't.

You seem to be on here with an agenda. If you're calling people out as frauds you should be prepared to step up with your qualifications for doing so. If you won't you're simply creating a malicious web presence for that individual without proof.

16. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, if he is graded by a Wado sensei, who was it? Someone, somewhere must know. As I said, this guy is just one example. But why are you defending him? There is no excuse. The evidence was in the videos. This is just one example of what is going on out there, and they just get away with it.

17. John Titchen

I want to know what gives you the right to call him out when you've no evidence he's not got the grades. It is unusual that he doesn't have a short bio on his website, but there's no law against that. Are you a Wado instructor? If so, who are you?

I'm happy to call people out here because my identity is known, my training background published. I do so on the basis of openness.

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Look I've no dog in this fight , but , the guy has a fairly sketchy web presence , for example you wouldn't find my teachers grading history that easily online , that doesn't prove he's a fraud , neither do the videos , just that they're not very good.

Someone likely does , just not on this forum.
    Is he he competitor to your school ? you do seem to be getting quite passionate about this particular club/instructor.

19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Actually , after watching more of the videos , the competition kata isn't bad , the "self defence" was awful , and from my (limited) experience , the sword work is pretty dreadful.
    Just seems like an average club that focuses on young kids , not the gold standard for sure , but hardly gkr.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Oh, I've seen better GKR students - and that really is saying something.

No, I'm not an instructor, so he isn't a competitor. That is my point. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I made a living out of lying to people. I didn't think Martial Arts was about this, but obviously others think it is okay.

JWT, you say your identity is known, but that means nothing. I have never heard of you, so you could call yourself anything and it wouldn't make any difference to me. It wouldn't matter. You have been trying your best to be a nuisance since the start of the thread. But that's okay. The Steve Perry thing is a good example I feel of what I mean. This man claims to teach Wado, but has no Wado links whatsoever. No reputable Wado club I know has ever seen him train. But still there are people like you out there who will defend them. In other jobs you have to prove you have the qualifications to do that job before you start it. You are saying that this guy must be legit because there are no signs of lineage to a proper Wado instructor whatsoever, and his standards are clearly appalling. That doesn't make any sense. There is probably a reason he doesn't mention his Karate history. There isn't any. Are you really saying you would take your kids to train with someone like this? Is this the sort of level that can be found at your club? Is that why you are siding with him? Forget him anyway, he has had more attention than he deserves. But now I see how people get away with it. There will always be an excuse, and once standards slip, once people let them teach, there is no way back.

I think I might grade myself to 4th dan Goju tomorrow and open some classes. Never done it, but what the hell? There is money to be made!