White history month?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hiroji, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

some have different opinions, adds to the spice and variety of life :p

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I suppose so. Every village has it's idiot, right? ;)

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Every day is white history day!

[​IMG]

4. southern jester

southern jester New Member

although dont watch a lot of tv (old fashioned book reader) have no problem with watching 'black programs' any more than 'white programs'. would rather see tv shows that have diversity of race like 'house' or 'csi'.

not a racist by any means. yet have to argree with kenpodavid that blacks in america keep talking about equality yet insist on having thier own television channel, college fund, history month, etc. and if whites did the same it would be called racism.

perfect example. have never called myself euro-american or some other kind of nonsense. why african-american then? what is problem with everyone here being called just americans?

5. NaughtyKnight

I think the whole "African American" thing is a white thing.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Does anyone actually 'insist' on racially-oriented TV programs, or is it just the way that the networks organise it? :confused:

Surely it's because the USA is basically a nation of immigrants? So you've got Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans etc, etc.

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

glad you have taken it on the chin :D

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

We have whole networks devoted to it like BET (Black Entertainment Television).

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Wow! :eek: I never heard of that.

Do any other groups have their own 'dedicated' networks? :confused:

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Dutch-Irish-Catholic Sports Network?
    Amish Music Video Channel?
    Polish-American Jewish Cookery Network?

11. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

:confused: :confused:

Is it because I is Welsh?? :D

12. bcullen

The Hispanic population has about as many if not more channels as they would if they were in Mexico. Although, considering our proximity to the border what would you expect. I know that they at least have one channel for Latin programming in any state and we have some channels that alternate programming, mostly Asian; it will be Korean from like 12:00 to 3:00 and then go to Chinese, Thai, Japanese, it even does some Russian and Middle Eastern programming occasionally.

We even have BBC America, so we can get the true flavor of British culture by watching EastEnders. :D

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm glad to hear that the Roman-American community isn't being neglected! :D

Would you Adam and Eve it! :eek:

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

BET for African-Americans
    Univision is Latino/Hispanic
    LOGO is LGBT programming

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

24 hours of Will and Grace!?! :eek:

:D

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Depends on who you ask. "Survivor:Cook Islands" is the perfect example. A majority of the contestants were actually drafted from local malls and shopping centers and didn't go through the standard application procedure. Why? Mark Burrnett wanted a racially diverse cast, amd apparently he wasn't getting much diversity in the applications. So we ended up with 5 Latinos, 5 Asians, 5 African-Americans, and 5 Caucasians. The most racially diverse cast ever, 4 minorities in the final four.

Were people hapy about it? Depends. Some groups thought it was very noble of CBS to seek out a racially diverse cast, others saw it as nothing more than a sheer marketing ploy, and others were offended that CBS ignored the applications and drafted folks. It didn't offend too many people, though, because the most recent season was set up the same way originally, but changed at the last minute due to a Caucasian contestant dropping out as the boat landed on the island.

Another example would be the CW. "Girlfriends", "Everyone Hates Chris" and other Monday nite programming aimed at the African-American community. This was formerly UPN and the WB, and both stations did try to get the minority viewers. Otherwise, most of the shows aren't per se geared at minority viewers, although many organizations do keep tabs on the number of minority characters on major network television. The numbers have gotten better, apparently.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Nope, lots of original programming (and reruns of "Queer as Folk"). There is also "Here TV", another gay channel, which has a lot of "Melrose Place"esque type serials. Also a lot of documentaries, music, news shows, etc. I don't get eirther channel, I refuse to get digital cable just for queer tv.

18. bcullen

D'OH!
    I missed the "o" at the end; kind of like NK's girlfriends. :D

19. NaughtyKnight

LMAO!

thats because its an "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well lets look at the historical impact of the spear. Before the spear the ability to kill large game was about digging pits and chasing them in. This was a hit and miss affair so I rate the spear pretty highly in technology terms.
    The mud hut again what we are talking about is the ability to manufacture dwelling near useful resources before this humans had to travel back and forward to the resources. Another massive technological leap.

I'll add a couple of my own:
    The is a good chance writing was first done in africa.
    The wheel if not invented had many important improvements by the africans.

Also lets add some interesting african civilizations:
    Egypt, Carthage, Numidia, Abbysinia.

I haven't even began on cultural significance.

The Bear.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007