white belt "knows it all"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by abby, Mar 31, 2004.

1. abby

abby New Member

we have a new student that supposedly was a black belt somewhere else. (although if she was a black belt, it must have been a mcdojo because she has no power or speed whatsoever.)

i may only be one rank higher than her now, but she tries to tell me how to do everything..... except "her way" is totally different from my instructor's. (example: one of our one-steps you put a leg behind the other person and push them over. she's was like telling me "no, don't push them, sweep them down!". even though the correct way is the be stationary and push.)

i guess i'm not the only one she does that too, but i'm not sure if our instructor has noticed. she doesn't do it when he's around. do you think i should mention it to him? how should i bring it up?

2. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Ignore her, she'll be caught in her own bullshido eventually.

3. Relosa

Relosa New Member

You can also simply tell her "I'm going to do what our instructor says. And if he tells me to listen to you then I will." and leave it at that.

4. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Scream at the top of your lungs,"Shut up you complete, utter, maladjusted, delusional twit!!! The Instructor told me a different way, quit trying to confuse me!!!! " Then scream,"AAaaaaargh!!!!!" as you clutch your chest falling to the floor(helps if you foam at the mouth to really sell it). That should get everyones attention and show them there is an issue. :eek:

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well, while I wouldn't do it exactly the same as Nekogami, he has the right idea. I think CALMLY telling her that she is confusing you with how the instructor has told you...may work. Or, ask the instructor to come over and request a clarification, the white belt says to do it this way, and the instructor says that way, which is it????? Put her on the spot... Let us know what you do and what happens okay?

6. abby

abby New Member

I usually just tell her "this is how arlen [my instrutor] told me to do it" and proceed with doing it the correct way.

but... there are a couple younger students that may not know to ignore her. (since she's older than them, they may think she knows what she's talking about.)

7. abby

abby New Member

Kwajman, that sounds like a good plan.

8. Goju Dale

Goju Dale New Member

Mind you her way plus a bit of your instructors (i.e a foot sweep combined with a push/pull of the opponent) way is a viable way to knock your opponent down as well. However, the instructor wants you to learn the technique as he displayed it and may go onto the more advanced application later.

If you are that worried about the other students then tell the instructor your concerns in private.

as for her having no power or speed, it does not mean that she came from a "McDojo" . If you are referring to speed & power when it comes to high kicks in TKD, then I would be just as miserable. However give me a low kick or any hand work and there is where my power & speed is. But my art's (Goju Ryu Karate) focus is not on High kicks but on subtle lower kicks, elbows and knees and grappling. I find Goju better for me, where you might find TKD better for your body physics. She (the new student) may be more suited to a style that has less "high" movements

Sorry to Ramble

Dale

9. abby

abby New Member

her "suggestions" are on one-steps, which progress in technique as you get to higher belts. this is a orange-white one-step, so it is pretty basic in technique. i could possibly understand in free-sparring her "sharing" her techniques, but i didn't think it was appropriate for one-steps. (there are some later one-steps with sweeps, but not these.)

i refer to her power in speed for everything. punches, blocks, low and high kicks.

not to mention our instructor stressed the "traditional" tkd, but she doesn't seem to want to do tradiational. i dunno, maybe it's just annoyed by her.... she has an attitude, which magnifies anything she does that i can nit-pick.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  10. Goju Dale

Goju Dale New Member

Out of curiosity sake, what is Traditional TKD? Does forcus on tournaments like most TKD (& sport Karate for that matter) or is the focus on practical self defence??

Not bashing, just curious.

Dale

11. abby

abby New Member

we go to tournaments (i haven't gone yet, higher belts go). we concenrate a lot on doing it exactly the way it is shown for forms and one-steps. free sparring is more liberal, but for the basics, they must be exactly as the instructor shows. our kicks are more with flexed ankles and we hit with the ball of our foot or our heel, as sport you hit with the top of your foot more. (for sparring and tournaments, some sport techniques are used because they are safer, according to my instructor. you can't do as much damage with the same amount of power.)

i hope that made sense. i haven't ever really watched sport tkd much, but that's kind of how i was told the differences were. i'm not guarenteeing 100% accuracy of the above, i haven't ever had to compare and contrast the two before, but it's the best i could do for right now.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Definately come across no-it-alls, not just about martial arts either ;)

Ever come across a parent that like to tell everyone how everyone else is mis-raising there children? And I mean EVERYONE, best friends not omitted....

Head over to the religion thread and you get a different type of no-it-all.

Being a business Owner I have gotten a lot of "you should...."s about that as well. In fact I think when I was opening Everyone I knew had some advice...

Sadly they are something that can't be gotten away from. Sometimes you get good advice, most times just ignore it. But let them give it, cause you never know :D

Unless they start getting to pushy, as your "friend" is. Then either end it, or loose them.

13. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

She should know better, really. It's not fair on you to confuse you. There are bound to be 73,452 ways of doing the technique you're talking about, but as you've realised, you need to be able to do one of them well first and it doesn't sound like she's helping. Do what Kwajman says. She'll probably calm down after a bit.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

It might sink in when she fails her gradings ;)

15. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Probably not ;)

Most people with this attitude tend to either lose it pretty fast, or get lost :D

16. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

You do TKD.

You are speculating about another school being a mcdojo.

All i'm saying is, think very carefully about those two things.

17. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Hedge, you were born in 1984.

I was watching and enjoying the movie Ghostbusters when you were born, and remember it as if it were yesterday.

All I'm saying is, think very carefully about what Dr. Peter Venkman would do.

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

LMAO! :D

Ahh, them were the days!

I had my first Happy Meal after watching Ghostbusters at the Cinema.

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

It always surprises me when I'm watching Ghostbusters nowadays how much they smoke during the film. They never stop!! Just shows how times have changed. Can you imagine Max Steel lighting up a B&H every 3 minutes? :D

20. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Wow, what a great thread hijack. *pats self on back*