Whips [Split from: World Kali Eskrima Arnis Organisation]

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, May 16, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Latigo and the scars on your own body are the truth if you have done much of it. ouch... :(

I was at a swap meet for several hours this morning and it has sometimes many of the items that use to show up years ago before the craz of FMA in this area.

I have been asking about various items of some of the ones that come there that do leather work, I have a guy who is going to bring me a used, nice (his words) one next week for my eyes only...Sure...we'll see.

When you are talking Latigo around horseman it can mean many things I am thinking you are talking a whip. That is what I am talking.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. Whip. I was just joking about the facial scars though. It was a reference to the last Indiana Jones movie. Where they explain how Indy got that scar on his chin.

*shrug* Obscure reference I guess. :D

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I get you ;) (I've got the Indiana Jones box set :) ).

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I have a good book about the whip written by a guy who is very dedicated to it. American writer, Andrew Conway, a great "whip man". The whip is one that I like to practice. Same technique as with other arts that have to do with the swinging of your arm's, body and wrist, to extract the best form to accomplish what is needed.

Bought it from LaRue books LOL as in "Lash LaRue" I met and talked to Lash years ago when he lived in an area I worked in, back in the 60's, (had some loose horses in the area) he was one of the parties who were concerned about the horses safety. Got to talk to him on many an occasion.

Funny story:
    http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/lash.htm

Horses, whips, ropes, yo-yos, along with knives, swords, sticks bows and arrows, and... Guns, all kinds from the blow gun to the machine type, have always been something I've enjoyed. :woo:

Good stuff :D

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Freeform with the save! Thanks mate. :D

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I trained very briefly with a guy in Richmond, Virginia who practiced the whip. He was very interested in FMA, but I don't think he learned the whip there. As far as I could tell, at the time, he'd mostly just been exposed to Lameco via seminars. Now, I think he's aligned with Sayoc Kali. But he's got some videos out on the whip.

I noticed also, at the last black belt testing for my Doce Pares school, there was a bloke who had 'specialized' in the whip. Seems it's enjoying a bit of a renaissance. (Did I spell that correctly? If I did, it's probably the first time ever.)

Stuart

8. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I have been considering the fma whip part...
    but I have never seen it in actual use.
    I have been taught how to use western whips,but I need to know more about the P.I uses.
    A lot of people seem to think that the long bullwhips are the ones to fight with,but thats a massive crock.
    Snake whips are about the best to use and Signal whips would come a close second.
    Now,if you are wanting to BIND with a whip,then the longer bullwhips would be better.
    But who wants to try and bind 4 or more people?!
    A whip the size of a Snake whip is more ideal to fighting.
    It's smaller and more compact,but packs a NASTY sting and a hell of a lot more manouverable!

Just my 2 bits for now :D

Damien

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sounds reasonable to me. But then my preference is almost always for a shorter weapon. (Yeah, yeah.) I'd rather have the olisi than the sibat. With the length of whip I've seen trained, I can't help feeling like, if they didn't snipe me with the first shot, I'd be on top of them.

That could be hubris.

The Dog Brothers video on mixed weapon matches does show a very small segment of whip versus olisi. He doesn't get a chance to reload after the first shot. But as you point out, Damien, it's a bullwhip. I think he'd get off another shot or two with a smaller variation.

Stuart

10. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

If this is true, someone PM me with their web address!

If this is true, someone PM me with their web address!

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If what's true?

12. Freeform

They fought with a 12 and 6 ft bullwhip. Both agreed that the 6ft whip was better as it allowed for 'barrages' to be fired. The 12 ft took too long to 'reload'.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ah. There ya go.

And, having been busted right in the eye socket with a yo-yo back in college, I can attest to the effectiveness of that weapon. Carried a shiner for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Cool

15. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Let's start up a thread about whips as I feel this is going off the original topic dont you think, but it will be interesting to discuss with so little knowledge and personal expeariance from the majority of people posting about whips it might be good to get some links up and going too.

Surely if we have gone off topic so much on this thread we should split this in to a relevant thread? After all this thread has nothing to do with what was being discussed here.

Just a thought

Pat

16. Freeform

I've split this from the World Kali Eskrima Arnis Organisation, you are now all free to talk about whips! :D

17. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

As I have stated in other areas before, I got cocky as a teenager and tried learning with an 8ft bullwhip.
    I tried an overhand cut (which I had all of 6 minutes training on!)
    and the backlash across the face was astounding!!
    The pain was on a level I have NEVER felt since!
    It hurt so bad, I felt nothing for about 6 minutes. My brain said " screw that.we are NOT dealing with that pain"!
    Then it set in.....
    We won't go there now. :eek:

After that, I found the 4 footers were supreme.
    Especially for rapid fire shots re-directing at a moments notice.

When I see these people spar with them,i.e; the dog brothers...
    I must admit,It makes me quite shocked.
    These things CAN strip flesh like you would not believe!
    So far, I haven't seen anyone take a proper hit and I am of the mind that if they do get one....they will get ONE!
    You have to remember; the tip is breaking the sound barrier,or somewhere there abouts.
    It will shred WEKAF armour like paper.

But damn....they are fun!!!
    And if you had to use one today for defense (like there is such a thing with a whip! it just screams offence!) you have to take into account the psycholigcal
    effect as well.
    SCA-RRRY!!!!

I am out of practice,but all this talk has wet my appetite a bit ;)
    I see a black snake in my future....

:D

Damien

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Quite right Pat. Sorry about that. I was reading the tutorial on splitting threads, then had to leave work for the day. Thankfully Freeform took care of it, as I'd probably have made a pig's ear of it on my first try anyway.

Cheers!

Stuart

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I know it's not a whip, but yo yos fall under the category of flexible weapons. They're certainly flexible, though I have to admit that, prior to this forum, I wasn't aware that they were considered weapons. The silly sod who hit me in the eye wasn't part of any arnis group. He was just doing yo yo tricks in an office, whizzing it past my head. I though my best chance of not getting socked was sitting very still.

I was wrong about that.

So, if people don't mind extending the whip thread to yo yos (and perhaps cadena), can anyone confirm for me that these things are actually regarded as weapons? It seems almost absurd to say. But I've seen repeated references.

I'm seriously considering testing with my original Doce Pares teachers. And we're supposed to choose a weapon to "specialize" in. Perhaps I should start practicing "walk the dog."

Stuart

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

one of the best fma whips i've seen is the buntot ng pagui or the mumified tail of a stingray.

pretty whippy. good flexible weapon.