Which style can be mastered alone ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by martian_warrior, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

That site is all well and good but just remember you have no one to tell you if you're doing it correctly or not. You may think you are, but you won't be. That's just how it works. When it comes to home training with no teacher, you generally end up with two outcomes:

1. You think you know what you're doing, but the only people you train with are your other inexperienced friends so you have no one more knowledgeable to correct you.

2. You eventually join a school thinking you're further along than you would have been if you'd not tried to train via the internet, and you have an extremely difficult time unlearning all the bad habits you taught yourself; you end up progressing slower than you should be.

As long as you're aware of the potential harm involved, and you feel the pros outweigh the cons, then go for it. At the very least, following the instructions on that site with a heavy bag and incorporating some daily running or jump-roping would probably be fine if you HONESTLY have no other place to train in your area and moving is out of the question.

2. martian_warrior

martian_warrior Valued Member

I don't wanna brag. But to get the best opinion I have to mention some facts.

I am quiet strong & have a lot of energy. I know reaching higher levels of martial arts is just not possible at home.

Just wanna learn four things :

1) How to block a punch

2) Effective way of punching back.

3)How to block kicks & finally

4) How to kick properly.

That's all I wanna know. Remember even if I get into a street fight my opponents are all ordinary guys.

Correct me if I am wrong, one thing that I have realized by training with weights all these years is the fact that having strong triceps or pectorals doesn't mean that your punches will be powerful also.

^ Thats what I am talking about. What do I do to be able to apply my actual body strength while punching & kicking ?

Despite having a descent amount of muscle strength I still don't feel confident enough. I have seen weak guys beating the crap out of some strong fellows with the help of killer instinct, speed & reflex.

By the way I have started some basic things like jabs by reading boxing4free.com.

3. Boom Headshot!

Boom Headshot! Valued Member

I'll start by saying I don't do kung-fu at all (since you alluded to it in your first post). You are correct in saying physical power may not help you out, as I've sparred stronger guys in karate and judo, and one clear thing is physical power can work against you if you throw it around. Anyone can punch, kick and block, it's easy but the hard part is getting the strikes to be fast, powerful, well-timed, well-placed and reflexive. That all takes practice, even if you train by yourself.

You're correct that large muscle mass will not necessarily help you. One thing any instructor will tell you is you don't punch with your arms and fist, it will be weak. Instead, you need to punch with your entire body, starting with a strong stance to twisting the hips and body to throwing from the shoulder to stiffening your wrist to hitting with the knuckles. You can test the comparison yourself and see it will be a harder hit, however, you still need proper timing and placement of each movement for it to be a harder strike. The same goes for the kick, only you hit with the foot, hell, toes or shin.

To train by yourself, the best you could do is increase the power of the strikes, such as using weighted gloves for shadow-boxing and a punching bag. If you have someone else just hold pads, you can have them move around to give a more realistic scenario and develop speed. Unfortunately, even this won't get you far enough unless that person has considerable training. The blocks are something you cant train by yourself. A problem with any form of training by yourself is you may do something wrong and it will be difficult to "unlearn" it in place of the correct technique.

4. Osu,

Hummmmm, I don't know about that...
    Every once in a while, a human newborn comes with exceptional abilities and the ability to retain his child's genius in spite of the "education" adults push on him...

I have no doubt things were somewhat refined (then diluted) by further generations, but it is my conviction that most would have been born to existence by one person at some moment.

Osu!

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You cant learn how to block a punch properly without someone trying to punch you. because you'll never know the speed and angle of the reflex.
    and how to punch correctly (and more efficiently) is something that many people after years of training are still learning

Here some anyway, if they dont spar, dont join. because that seems to be what you're after:

Ashish Mitra, 6th, Dan Black Belt Japan, Kolkata, West Bengal.
    Call: 098 30 576199.
    School Of Martial Arts, 25, Rajani Mukherjee Road, Near New Alipore Petrol Pump, Rajani Mukherjee Road, Kolkata, West Bengal.
    Call: 033 2403 0014.
    JU Karate and Martial Arts Club, Jadavpur, Kolkata, West Bengal.
    Call: 098 31 500334.‎

Probably the best one i could find was this:
    http://www.academyofaikido.org/contacts.htm
    They do Judo, Aikido and MMA

(Also Fredinchina... wtf, you made no sense. please speak in smaller words and then maybe ill understnad :p)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's a vast difference. In martial arts, you're trying to triangulate the truth of something without actually engaging in mortal combat. You approximate it through various abstractions, but you don't actually do what you're trying to emulate.

In parkour, there's no abstraction. You either clear the obstacle or you don't. There's no pretense of it being a stand-in for something else. And it can be a solo activity. Whereas, in martial arts, a solo activity (training alone) is often used to try and gain insight on a clearly group activity (fighting). Much bigger leap in logic.

By the way, I'm having a really hard time accepting that there are no martial arts schools in the third largest city in one of the most rapidly growing economies in the world.

7. Osu,

Not sure what you are talking about there Ap_Oweyn? :)
    [edit] - sorry, I found out ---- my stupid question, my bad!

Osu!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nah, that was my fault. I should have made it clear that I was switching gears.

9. Anazoth

Anazoth Valued Member

It will work if you just want to show off and look good. If you get attacked though, you are not going to know how to defend yourself and will have no experience in doing so, so you will just look good while getting your ass kicked :D

10. martian_warrior

Look, the fact is that there used to be a lot of good martial arts schools here but they all kept shutting down.

All people wanted to do was bodybuilding & now thats gone too. The gyms too are getting closed due to losses.

The gym I used to workout in is now a beauty spa for women :D

Believe it or not it seems like nobody wants to learn martial arts any more.

All people wanna do is make money. The schools those are left are either in very bad shape and most probably the teachers there are under trained themselves.

@zaad

Thanks. I will check those out.

11. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Yeah that MMA thing dried up pretty fast I hear.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Yes. Eventually a Japanese (or later Chinese) handy man will come along and mentor you, explaining the real essence of what you've been doing wrong in your solo training.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

india? what about kalari payattu?

i'll be honest man. the only self-defense you can teach yourself is awareness and escape. running can be self-taught.

14. martian_warrior

Unfortunately no kalaripayattu in Kolkata.

That & may be workout regularly ? That way one may not develop any defensive skills but he can at least hit hard. :fight1:

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Because some people are always trying to ice - skate uphill.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

too bad. but with many martial arts styles in india as much as in china i'm sure there is something there for you. after all if stories are to be believed, martial arts of china came via india (migration theory).

hit? no need to hit. run. run fast. run far. if you must hit, practice the one thing that you can do like a headbutt, then run. practice it 1000000000000000000 times against a punching bag or something. practice it until it is reflex. punching, many things in your hand can break if NOT DONE CORRECTLY (HENCE WE GO AND LEARN HOW). too man small bones in your hand. your forehead is one big bone. less likely to break. i opt for elbows and knees myself but I HAD TO GO AND LEARN HOW to do it efficiently and correctly without any pain nor injury to myself.

17. englishinsiam

englishinsiam New Member

You can always learn the dynamics of a punch but what about when you make contact? It hurts when you punch a face unless you punch with the fist correctly i.e. flexible then your less likely to break your knuckles.

Most streetfighters have what they know works one or 2 techniques only. And that technique for them is different to another streetfighter.

When training you need to consider the following

You don't want to learn to defend against a perfect straight reverse punch they don't come in the street. Street fighting is ugly unco-ordinated messy and did I say ugly. You need to have only a handful of responses so you don't need to think.

Have different people in front of you everyone attacks differently and feels differently the more different body and ability types you have in front of you in training the more chance you have on the street as you wont be fazed.

Regular sparring as real as you feel safe to allow don't worry it you get smacked or kicked it's gonna happen on the street so prepare yourself for it and you wont freeze when it finally happens.

All these things you cannot learn alone you need numerous people

So the answer is no mate no book or dvd or website will teach you to be Bruce Lee or even capable of taking care of yourself.

And on a final point your right big biceps/triceps don't ensure a heavy punch for starters a bicep is a pulling muscle that'll put the brakes on a punch.

However long strong triceps push the punch out and in fact push it out longer so you get better reach. Punch straight with a vertical fist this allows you to punch further and safer than a Karate twisted punch. And use the elbow for your power push from the elbow and keep your centre of gravity low.

18. Mangosteen

Kusti is available in most states.
    Just that many people don't want to participate because its considered "low class"

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Low class or not, it looks pretty awesome to me.

Best regards,

-Mark

20. Mangosteen

Pehlwani and Kusti are actually amazing styles.
    Unfortunately ppl who wanna start MA's and especially MMA in india dont realise that its better to start with these arts rather than travel 80 miles to an MMA gym.