Which Karate style?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by badad123, Feb 6, 2007.

1. badad123

badad123 New Member

Hi this is my first post and i just wondered if there was anybody who can give me some good advice?
    Ive wanted to start a striking martial art and i decided upon trying out karate but i dont know the differences between any of the styles.
    Ive read that the four main styles are Shotokan, Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu and Kyokushin and just wanted to know if theres was anybody who could help me out.
    Thanks.

P.s. Feel free to recomend any other striking MAs.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

For summaries of these arts, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page and type the name of each in the search box.

Your information is correct, but with the little extra knowledge you gain from wikipedia, you should be able to marshall your thoughts sllightly more effectively

3. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

Everyone will be biased to their own style. Best to do what Moosey said...or even go along to some local clubs and have a taster session! :)

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

which karate style is utterly meaningless. which karate school is what matters.

that said, look at what's actually available to you in your area before you narrow down your search at all. it would be somewhat silly to end up point sparring at some strip mall mcdojo when there's a kickboxing gym a block away for half the cost, simply because one is karate and one isn't.

5. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

Kyokushin is the only choice, unless its Daido Juku.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bjEP0uE_A[/ame] Kyokushin

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA"]YouTube[/ame] Diado Juku

6. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Hi,

veer towards Kyokushinkai, Goju, Uechi, Ashihara, Seido, Shidokan...................veer away from Shotokan, ( Taekwondo ), Wado, Shukokai, did I mention Shotokan !?

Jaae

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

blunt as it is, i agree.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Misinformed as it is, I disagree

9. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

Gonna back that up or just post youtube videos as per usual??

'You Tube' is slightly appropriate for you me thinks! :rolleyes:

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

*sigh* What is it with you kyukushin guys lately , do you all have small penises that you feel you have to make up for?
    As has been stated look at what clubs are available , see what the training theres like and think to yourself is this for me?
    If you're still unsure come back and tell us what's convenient to you and we'll try to help , it's all well and good saying "kyokushin is the only karate worth doing" as seems to be the fasion lately but if there isn't a club localy it's not very helpful is it?

11. Odacon

Odacon New Member

Train where you'll learn how to strike in a realistic manner. You'll find a few non-kyokushin/kyokushin derivative places (mainly shorin and goju) that'll do that, but they're in the minority.

12. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

First, clearly define your goals; what are you trying to get out of this?

Then, see what's available in your area.

Then, bring that list to us :)

13. JHughes

JHughes New Member

Goju ryu has some pretty devastaing moves in the katas. But then again so do a lot of styles.

14. badad123

badad123 New Member

Well ive looked around and theres a few school for each style except shotokan...theres loads.
    I think ill just go and try a leeson for each of them and see which one i like the best.
    Thanks.

15. Moosey

Good man! That's the way to go about it!

16. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

You'd be better off doing a few classes in each dojo. That will give you a better feel for the dojos and their instructors. IMO one class in a dojo isnt enough to make a decision upon. In the dojo I train in we generally encourage beginners to stay for a month. That way they will see pretty much everything we cover. The style I do is called Kyokushin Budokai, which is a combination of Kyokushinkai Karate and Judo into an all-round fighting system.

See here for more information:

www.kyokushinbudokai.org

Good luck with your search for a dojo.

OSU!

17. Moosey

How widespread is your style David? Most of the people I've heard of who practice it are Irish or Dutch - are there UK classes? It sounds like a good concept!

Edit: never mind - I was being a schmuck - there's a directory on that site you posted!

18. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

KenpDave is on the right track. Training an effective System of Karate, which MUST include realistic contact, has to be combined with a grappling art in order to a.) make you well rounded, b.) give you ground skills and c.) make you a realistic ( Street )fighter, which should essentially be the end result of all martial arts when you strip away the veneer of rituals, pseudo culture, etc,etc. i.e. Judo, wrestling, grappling, etc. also needs incorperating into your training regime.

Jaae

19. Moosey

Define realistic contact?

20. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

You are partly right. Holland is the centre of Kyokushin Budokai, but it does exist in most European countries, and outside Europe. I dont think theres an official dojo in the UK but the security guard for the building my Dad used to work in trained Kyokushin in the UK, with BKK as far as I know, and he said they used to do alot of grappling as part of their syllabus, just not for competition. Joe Borg is the guys name, you ever heard of him?

OSU.