Which hand to hold a knife in?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Freeform, Feb 12, 2006.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what could be faster than a fixed blade in a tac sheathe?

the balisong is quick but takes much skill to get it to open that fast. the spring loaded folder...any fool can open that.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

btw pat, ever notice it takes less skill to open a balisong in a pakal position than it is in a standard grip?

4. Pat OMalley

Un-fortunately because they are ileagal in the UK we dont get to play with them that often;)

Best regards

Pat

5. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

Video of Emerson Commander opening.

http://www.donrearic.com/southerncomfort.html Article on Kershaw Talon. Note time stated with PACT timer, average of 1/4 of a second. Hmm, some guy called cdnronin is selling one of these on ebay right now(ends Mar 7).

Both of these knives, and other by CRKT, etc, work off the blade being opened by the pocket AS it is being drawn out. A balisong, or any other folder must clear the pocket before manipulation begins. This includes switchblades, spring assisted knives(spring takes over after approx 30 degrees of arc in opening blade). A sheathed fixed blade will be as fast as a commander, or slightly faster.

If anyone here believes they can exceed the time stated with the Kershaw Talon using a balisong, I would be more than pleased to see it and re-assess my opinion. Otherwwise, Pat, how's that bet looking? :)

6. Pat OMalley

Well the odds have chnged, the blade you mentioned has just gone Evens that the Tac is now at 2 to one with the Balisong at 3 to 1, the Balisong needs practice in order to open it quickley hence the larger odds.

Anyone else wish to enter the race:)

Best regards

Pat

7. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

I stand corrected... that knife was very impressive :eek:

8. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Well, Pat, if you would just pour my victory drink on a postcard(single malt, preferably 17 year old Ardbeg), let it dry and mail it to me, I think we can consider this little contest over :)