which forum to post about business advice?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 333kenshin, Jan 9, 2020.

1. 333kenshin

333kenshin New Member

Hi,
    I'm a 2nd degree black belt in karate looking to open a studio and transition to teaching full time, and have a bunch of specific questions on the business side of things. Before I can start asking, I simply want to know where's the appropriate forum on this site to post such questions.

I train and teach regularly right now so none of my questions pertain to doing or teaching martial arts - not that they're unimportant, but I already have a decent handle on those aspects. Where I'm clueless and in need of perspective are things like picking a location, insurance policies, dealing with competition, DIY and construction work, business partnerships, transportation and parking, approaching schools, etc.

Thanks!
    -Dave

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You could post it in the Karate forum. If it's incorrect a mod will move it anyway!

Good luck with your school :)

3. 333kenshin

333kenshin New Member

@Pretty In Pink thanks for the quick reply!
    Since my questions about business, I would rather not limit the pool of folks who might see and answer the post to karatekas.
    I imagine a taekwondo, wu shu, wing chun, capoeira, or aikido instructor could just as well offer useful advice on location, promotions, logistics, etc.
    Thanks!

4. 333kenshin

333kenshin New Member

Actually along that vein, does anyone know whether _other_ sites are particularly useful for business advice?
    I've come across KarateForums.com, BlackBeltForums.com, and FightingArts.com, can't tell whether they're particularly active though.
    Seems like most of the attention goes towards MMA sites these days, which I'm not sure helps with what I'm looking for.
    Thanks in advance!

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well then you can post the in the "General Martial Arts" section, or even Q&A section. General rial rts cation is busiest though.

Monkey_Magic and Mitch like this.
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: General martial arts section is fine. :) It is the place to put things that don't fit easily into other categories.

Welcome to MAP.

Monkey_Magic and Mitch like this.