Where does the power come from in a fajing strike/ an internal power strike?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by cpthindsight, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not fitting concepts doesn't get one banned and isn't against the TOS. Profanity laced tirades and attacks on other members does get one banned and is against TOS.

Sorry, frankly you are still being way too vague and esoteric for that to have any practical use. And what you are saying is not Fa Jing. Fa Jing isn't about vision. I know enough to know that.

2. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Why is fa jin a dead end? It's just a word used to describe something. If it's a dead end, so are the words "dead end".

3. Chen dakhan

Chen dakhan New Member

Fa Jin training is harmful to the body , and a skill which if acquired can ( it seems ) put a ceiling on how far you progress , so I choose to call it a dead end for ease of translation.
    As taught to me it was called ' not useful '
    I have no idea if the term dead end is a dead end lol ... I suppose it would be odd if it wasn't
    Dakang :)

4. Chen dakhan

Chen dakhan New Member

Also , any good training system will change your vision, your hearing and what you ' see' ,
    So tell me what else you know :)

5. aaradia

How is it harmful to the body? And how can it put a ceiling on how far you progress? Please be specific- thanks.

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'd be really interested in which of your teachers told you that...

They might improve your awareness, but they will not 'change' your vision, hearing etc..

Why should we tell you anything, when you're happy to give cryptic responses to us?

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yes, it simply means releasing power or issuing power and however you need to use it. After that it becomes about "how" and that can be style specific in terms of body mechanics.

In my opinion a lot/ most styles in the world use "the whip" model, but I think there is a different model evident in tai chi/IMA I would term "the bow" which is a bit different.

Often the whip is described as sequential but that can give the wrong idea. the whole whip moves together (whole body) but the kinetic chain running through the whip inside is sequential - think of the way a whip generates it's "snap".

The (whole body) bow gathers/releases at once, rather than have that internal kinetic chain. The bow model used the 5 main bows of the body in a stretch and release action - 2 arms, 2 legs, spine which combines with the actions/descriptions of opening and closing.

Issuing power can be on the open/ stretch or the close/ release of "the bow".
    On the "bows". Imagine each end is like a fixed point and the central part creates movement and tension against those points in either direction. TCC people should be very familiar with the analogy as it is all over the classics.

There are other body mechanic elements such as training the core and inguinal crease area that also come into things. But this is basically how my own training has transpired to include both these basic models of power generation. Both models are good and useful in their own way to me, we have just one and the same body at the end of the day.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Maybe it was Chen Yuen San.

About fajin training being damaging, It really depends which type. Some things in CMA are probably not that healthy. White Crane in Taiwan for example has led to more than a few people going bat crazy with their vibrating qigong and that kind of thing. His teacher is from Taiwan so maybe that influences the thinking.

Mostly though, it's safe as long as you stay away from some "weird stuff".

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know your responses are unhelpful and unclear and that this typically indicates a lack of any actual ability.

Cryptic responses have little to no place on a discussion board, especially if they are discussing a technical topic. Now of course I cannot stop you using them, but I can point out how silly they make you appear and hope this makes you contribute more to what is a fascinating subject

10. Hannibal

Is that the cause or is it "Helter Skelter" on Charles Manson?

11. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

It seems like I have seen this debate before!, internal or external?, it will ussally go no where, only pit one person against another, and **** everyone off.

12. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Watched the first video and all it seems like to me is a guy throwing a right cross at a focus mitt... Nothing very CMA looking about it at all. See it all the time though, generating power as we all know is important but in my mind I have yet to understand why people chase the mystic teachings of certain martial arts when its far easier to chase the unrefined teachings of Guss the boxing coach...lols.

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Essentially, yes - I'm throwing a right cross at a focus mitt.

Just because I didn't adopt the Flying Mongoose posture immediately before striking, and land in the Contemplative Badger pose afterwards, doesn't make it "not CMA".

14. embra

embra Valued Member

If you quote "the classics" - like you did some years ago here, you would be advised to quote which classic text, which translator and which passage.

15. Hannibal

It only annoys those who maintain there is a marked difference between the two

There isnt

16. aaradia

Boxing doesn't own a right cross. :rolleyes:That punch is in numerous styles of martial arts. Just because western society is familiar with it in boxing does not make it solely a boxing punch. So it is as much a CMA punch as a boxing punch. I rather expect it is a JMA punch as well.

Just as if you see a roundhouse kick and claim it is "kickboxing" and not any other art. A roundhouse kick is in almost - if not all - martial arts that have any kicking at all. So, if you learn it in a CMA, it is a CMA kick. If you learn it in TKD, it is a TKD kick. etc.

17. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I think you have that backwards, it annoys people who don't know there is a difference.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

2.5 years ago, you were not capable of explaining 'the difference' beyond some vague references to 'read the classics' - which you refused to elaborate upon with any tangible point of reference. Furthermore, it looks like rhetorical reversals is still your sole instrument, oh brother Loxley.

Maybe now that have attained mastery of ICMA - you have told us zero about your training, but we can pass on that, and assume that your wisdom came out of the cornflakes packet - maybe you can elaborate and explicitly express with clarity, what the 'difference' is?

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Well let's assume then that those reading don't know the difference.

Please explain how you see the difference in power generation between internal and external arts.

20. Hannibal

Ahhhh the firm conviction of the inexperienced.....I remember those days

You are wrong by the way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.