Where can I find some good info on stick grappling

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Killbot, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi Dave,

I did know all that ;) I wasn't being dismissive of the Sayoc stick grappling material, I said that the DBMA was a better instructional, and I stand by that. The material on the Sayoc stickgrappling dvd is generally 'technique' based, whereas the DBMA stickgrappling is generally 'generator'/flow based, which I prefer in an instructional.

2. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

stick grappling

Hi,
    I agree with the recommendation of the Haribon Dumog book by Punong Guro Rutano.
    I have been a student of his for several years and it hurts!!!! I meant the applications of his stick grappling expertise.
    I also train with Agalon Guro Lafantaisie and his stuff hurts too. He's been with Guro Dan for 18 years.
    In regards to stick grappling as it is taught, I received a real gem of advice from Guro Stephan Kesting, that still 'sticks' with me. There is a difference between an actual applicable stick grappling technique and the traditional manner in which it is taught. Before that, I really felt the stuff we were learning was all "practical and realistic". Well, try sparring with it and find out for sure!
    Gord

3. Mike Dunnage

Mike Dunnage Valued Member

hi dave,

i was not dismissing the Saoc kali stuff, just recomending the DB stuff.