Where Can I Buy A Whip

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EskrimaWarrior, Feb 25, 2008.

1. EskrimaWarrior

EskrimaWarrior New Member

Hi All,

As you can probably guess from my past posts I am very interested in San Miguel Eskrima and have been searching on the net to find a whip to buy - have found plenty of shops that sell them but unfortunately all of the shops are of an adult variety :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also wanted to know if there is some sort of Syllabus on DVD that I might be able to follow just for the basics. :)

Eskrima Warrior

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

There are a couple of DVDs' out there, not certain if any are directly from San Miguel, Mastering the Whip by Steve Woodward isn't to bad, and fairly easy to get hold of, also I have seen the FCS whip video with Raffy Pambuan, a nice insight into the filipino use of the whip, but a little freaky when he plaits the fish hooks into the whip and uses it against a dead chicken.

Most of the DVDs out there are western stage use of the bullwhip (cutting paper, popping ballons and multiple cracking techniques,) good for whip handling but they don't really have much of a combat side to them.

As for a whip, it depends what you are after, there are on line suppliers for most types, but bullwhips and stockwhips are by far the most common, a more traditional rope whip may be hard to come by.

This is what I found out when I was looking, hopefully somebody else will have a web link for you

Good Hunting

Neil

3. EskrimaWarrior

Hi Neil,

Excellent Information thank you for that, I will check out thoses dvd's and fingers crossed someone will put a link up for a whip I can get as you said.

Yep the chicken and the fish hook thing does sound freaky - :)

Thanks for your post

Eskrima Warrior

4. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

5. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

If you're interested I used this guy,

http://www.21stcenturywhips.com/Products.htm

He's really friendly,and makes his bullwhips from Nylon to order, so they are a fair bit cheaper than the leather whips that you see (I mean the real ones, not the Indiana Jones wall hangers that are common on eBay).

You could also try contacting Richard Hudson at http://www.kick-fit.co.uk/ , I know he has done some training with the Canete family, and he is mentioned in the Filipino Fighting Whip book (if you are in the UK, he is based in Nottingham)

Neil

6. Damien Alexander

Good call.
    If you are here in the UK,the damp weather would take a faster toll on the leather whips and you would have to give much more and frequent care.
    A nylon whip will last longer in such conditions and you will get just as much play out of one.

Now,it's down to personal choice!

oh yea,
    If you are looking for one to fight with; don't go for the indiana jones!!
    TOO long!!!

Stick with a 4-5 footer.

7. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Almost forgot, take a look at the Sayoc Kali website, they have some nylon stock whips on their site, and I think thats who Steve Woodward is associated with (they have a small whip demo on their 3 of 9 vital template DVD), and I think there is a video of Tom Meadows using a whip at a Dog brothers gathering, but I can't seem to find it online anymore

8. EskrimaWarrior

Thank you Damien and Neil for your answers and tips

I will check out all the links - was much better to ask a question here than using google - no trawling through all that adult material :) hee hee

Thanks again

Eskrima Warrior

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Have you seen the outtakes on that dvd? There’s a funny one with the whip ;)

Volume 6 of the Real Contact Stick Fighting series. There may also be a bit on vol 5

10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

I have found Anthony deLongis' DVD set, "Mastering the Bullwhip" to be very helpful for learning the body mechanics necessary for throwing the whip with a mininum of external power. The SME latigo does require a more obvious, or larger, mechanic, due to the less pliant nature of the rope whip and the attachment of the body of the whip to the handle through a swivel - but the basic principles remain the same.

Most SME whip throws that I have seen on YouTube, etc., involve either an overhand or side throw and a recovery that circles the whip around your head to build momentum for the next throw. There is also a throw that is essentially an overhand throw done on a reverse, or 45 degree, angle.

Tom Meadows makes a short appearance on one of the DVD's and does a good job outlining his system. Keep in mind that the throws that he does with his shorter whip differ in intent and execution from the throws that Momoy practiced (Momoy is described in The Filipino Fighting Whip as sometimes practicing with a 15' rope whip!). I find that deLongis' style and use of the 8' foot whip (11' with fall and popper) to be more in keeping with SME principles, and don't practice much with the rope whip much any more mainly because I've lost about six inches of braid from the tip and haven't yet learned how to repair my rope whip yet! While the use of the leather bullwhip may be a deviation from tradition, I believe that it still falls in line with Momoy's original intent to train with ancillary weapons in order to develop the attributes necessary for proper espada y daga technique.

If you can't find a Filipino rope whip through Kano Canete's people a propos the previous thread on the SME whip on this forum, you might try Richard Hudson as suggested above, or Abner Pasa's organization. Certainly contact Pat O'Malley before his next trip to the Philippines and he might be able to develop a contact for you.

Best,

Steve Lamade

11. EskrimaWarrior

Hi all,

Sorry been away for a bit, thanks again for everyone who has posted, some really good info for me.

Thanks Again
    Eskrima Warrior

12. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Yes, I am sure that Pat will be able to 'WHIP' something up for you!!! He always has a 'CRACKING' time in the PI.

Another consideration has to be the use of targets when practicing the whip techniques. Probably not a good idea to have someone holding the target because it is easy to hit the hand of the person. This not only looks silly but can cause a serious hand injury. Of course, if that does happen, make sure that all footage is destroyed and that people are sworn to total secrecy! Ha Ha Ha

As the whip does encourage up a sense of entertainment, it would be interesting to learn of any amusing stories associated with training! So, get CRACKING and share the stories with fellow MAPers.

Gumagalang

Peter

13. Damien Alexander

man!

I swear!
    He's at it again!

I have been wrackin my brain to see if there ANYTHING he couldn't
    get hold of and do this too!

LOL!!

:D

Damien

14. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Always a great pleasure D. Must WHIP up some interest somehow. Pat seems to have it really CRACKED and is no longer charging money for OLD ROPE!

Catch up soon

Peter

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I used to train with Steve, back when he was first getting into FMA. It was Lameco back then (plus the Doce Pares I was showing him). He was already training in the whip a lot at that point (the mid 90s). But, yeah, I understand he's associated with Sayoc now.

Stuart

16. depensaseguidas

depensaseguidas New Member

San Miguel Eskrima Bullwhip

Greetings Eskrima Warrior,

Check out my website www.sanmigueleskrima.net, there are some picts of the bullwhip we use for training. Let me know if your interested. I'll see what I could do to get one for you. Btw, where are you located. Any questions about the bullwhip you could email me at kurbada@aol.com, daghang salamat.

mabuhay,

ramon

NMODE---DSG
    SME, USA

17. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Filipino Bullwhip

Hi EW,

Just found this thread, so here goes.

I have one leather BullWhip left, complete with a letter authenticated as produced by GM Cano Canete, 2007.

As a previous posting stated I am the European Representative for the San Miguel Eskrima Latigo sub-system, and I have been charged with producing a booklet and DVD on the basics of the Filipino Latigo. Both in production as we speak.

The leather Latigo costs include postage to mainland UK - if you live elsewhere I'll need to know so I can work out the postage costs.

Let me know if you are interested.

Bill

18. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

SME Latigo

In keeping with Peter's penchent for puns (one's man's meat is another's poisson, etc.), I was wondering if anybody had any tips (where to get materials, techniques, etc.) for re-weaving the ends of rope whips.

Best,

Steve