When your eyes are opened

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Ero-Sennin, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

For anyone who has followed the "first day sparring" thread of mine you'll know I've recently begun getting into boxing. If you haven't, I'm still very interested to hear your opinion on the questions I'm going to ask after the build up to it.

I'm getting a lot better with sparring and much of it is coming with relaxing. I've always been decent at picking up stuff with fighting whether it be grappling, ground fighting, or whatever you name it. I wouldn't say I'm a natural at it, but I can think, work hard, and apply which works well with the learning curve.

Yesterday though, I got to see the instructor spar. People who are a challenge technically for me all of a sudden looked like a complete beginner. The guy is good at boxing as far as skill (haven't had the opportunity to get hit hard by him yet). It was a whole different level. Parrying, bobbing and weaving, footwork, quickness, the whole bit.

Needless to say any progress I've currently made was brought down to "yeah, I'm still a complete novice" compared to his skill level.

What was the biggest difference in what I could see him do other then a refinement of skill and composure that comes from years of practice, was what I would call an ability to see. His eyes were opened in a more poetic then literal sense. His ability to anticipate, react, and the fluidity of it all came from his being able to see what was coming, seeing openings, etc..

I talked to him a bit about it and obviously the discussion was about gaining experience, what kind of experience to seek out, and that sort of thing. He told me it took about a year of serious training to be able to really see and make sense of things going on in the ring when fighting.

So my question here (and this is more just for story/insight with the intent of the thread) is if you've achieved that level of skill or have seen somebody who progressed to the point of having it, how long did it take? What did you or they find most beneficial in attaining this skill whether it was drills, what they focused on in sparring, or anything else that worked for you/them?

If you have another fighting style and you just came into this thread to see what it was about, please feel free to share your experience as well. When I was doing BJJ really steady, and grappling the "opening your eyes" happened to me after about 5 - 6 months (training extremely hard, 2-3 hours daily 5 days a week) but it was more of an "opening of the eyes" through being able to feel what your opponent was doing rather then actually visually seeing it. I'm sure this is a common thing in all combat sports, and I'm interested to hear anyone's experiences.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You are always a novice to a degree.

I've had stages when I think I've got it, then something happens, or you train with someone new and bang, you find you have so much more to learn.

This has happened dozens of times over the years, and will probably continue to do so.

3. Ero-Sennin

I agree completely. There is somebody out there that will always have something you don't, that you haven't worked on defending or attacking against and will have some sort of upper hand on you and cause humility.

That said, I definitely think there is a point where somebody reaches another level, where they can adapt quicker and maintain composure/ability far better then a novice. If there wasn't there wouldn't be "novice, intermediate, expert, and mastery" categories of skill level.

4. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Just recently in the judo I've had a couple of occasions where I've seen the opening and next thing I know uke a I are spining through the air. I've not conciously decided to make the throw just reacted.

It was an awsome feeling, like what being good at judo must feel like

5. Simon

This is true and you don't always notice it yourself.
    Often another student will comment on how your reactions have improved, or you are harder to break down.

After sparring a student often goes home slightly dissapointed in themselves. "Why did I get hit, why is my timing off, or why did he block my kicks so easily?"

What that students does not hear is the other students saying to me, "Student A is getting quick, or he is really starting to develop."

6. Ero-Sennin

I would just like to state that my "eyes opening" in my BJJ experience was most definitely towards the basics, and that's it. I am not claiming an expertise in that martial are or being anywhere near a level of proficiency. But as far as basic things such as posture, positioning, etc. I definitely got a feel for what was correct, incorrect, and what can and cannot be done to me. This would be best described as "in a class of complete novices, I was a really good novice."

I think my above statement made me sound like I felt I had a grasp of some sort of mastery in BJJ, which I clearly did not and don't mean to come across as. Felt I should clear that up before somebody says, "dude, are you serious."

7. Simon

In five years time you will realise you are actually useless.

Five years after that you'll look back and think, "I could kill the me of back then."

Five years after that you'll be the man in class that everyone comes to for advice. You'll feel good.

Five years after that you'll train with someone who makes you feel useless. You'll question why you even bother.

And so it goes on. Stupid hobby really.

8. Ero-Sennin

I definitely agree with this kind of thinking (although I think 5 years is stretching it way out a bit). But at the same time there is a point where you're good, and in the general population your darn good. I think that only increases and it should definitely be recognized and praised, as well as acknowledged by yourself and others.

The thinking you're projecting is how to stay humble, but there's a time for humility and a time for cockiness just like anything else. Share a cocky story Simon! You're making me feel like a jerk.

9. Simon

Maybe the above is more a story of my own martial journey.

In regard to a cocky story, I do have one.

I would have been in my early twenties and a Kung Fu student and Bruce lee fan.
    I used to practice the one and three inch punch on a regular basis. I used to peg roof tiles on the washing line and try to break them with very shirt range punches. this worked because any slight push just made the tiles move away from you. You really needed a snap to break them.

Anyway I worked with a guy who knew some bouncers. He had told them about me and that I did Kung Fu. "Ask him about the one inch punch", they said, presumably to test if I was any good.

One day at work he asked me to demonstrate. I had him hold a telephone directory aginst his chest to absorb some of the shock.
    I timed it just right, he flew about 6 foot across the room in a complete heap.

Epic win.

Haha, is that boastful enough for you?

10. Ero-Sennin

Not exactly completely on topic, but a pretty awesome story about development and application of skill! If you were wearing that awesome sweater from the flying kick thread then the epicness goes up 1,000,000 points! Or if you whipped your hair afterwards : D.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Best typo ever :D

Mitch