Whats your Org?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Dead_pool, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I was just looking at finally getting myself signed up to the BJA, when I realised that other Uk judo Orgs do exist, BJC, WJA etc.

what Org is your club a part of?

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

BJA, tho it being a student club there are others who have come in from other UK orgs and other countries

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Most clubs are BJA affiliated, because they run the biggest competitions and are the internationally recognised governing body.

4. Dead_pool

Indeed, Im just reading up about the BJC, Affiliated to, but not the same as the BJA.

Interestingly, the yearly fees for the BJA are pretty High, 37 pound for the first year!

Anyone here from the Welsh Judo Association?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i thought that too, though grading fees are fairly low (compared to other MA i've done)

6. Dead_pool

How much are BJA grades now?

7. Dead_pool

Edit - website says 7.50 plus upto a Fiver.

8. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

The BJA are the largest Judo organisation and have the strongest competition structure. They are also responsible for selecting, managing and training the National Squad. The BJC are the second largest organisation. They are affiliated to the BJA and grades are cross recognised. BJA and BJC members can enter each others events.

There are differences in gradings. The BJA head office charges an administration fee for all grades. The BJC do not charge for registering grading results.

The BJA gradings to 1st Kyu brown belt require technical demonstrations only. The BJC gradings require technical demonstrations. However, for blue and brown belt persons under 35 need to win three fights against others of the same grade. The BJC also preserves the Judo Kata with all kata being examined through the dan ranking system including the self defence kata. The BJA does not require knowledge of such aspects of judo although they have coaches who know these kata very well.

Personally I favour the BJC approach as I find it more balanced between sport and martial aspects of judo.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The Katas do form part of the Kyu grading syllabus, but I think they may be optional and can be replaced by a series of technique/counter/combination demonstrations.

10. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Correct they are not a mandatory part of the Kyu Grade syllabus. The randori no kata (Nage, Katame and Gonosen) are examined for BJA non contest gradings. The kata content of the contest dan grade syllabus is negligible.

Kata such as Ju no Kata, Kime no Kata, Itsutsu no Kata and Kodokan Goshin Jutsu are not examined by the BJA at any rank.