What's the difference between Aikido and Judo?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by YouKnowWho, Dec 8, 2012.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Yoseikan does. Other Aikido schools feel that foot sweeps conflict with the core Aikido ideal of remaining centred at all times.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

We all know that to allow our opponents to have too much legs freedom will be to our dis-advantage in combat. The concern is why principle such as "remaining centred at all times" should be treated above principle such as "combat effectiveness"?

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Partly it's the idea of not getting tangled up with your opponent and going to the ground and partly the idea that they are assumed to have a weapon so you don't want to be quite that close if they have a free hand. It is possible to mix the two though. The power generation structure is very similar and some of the controls and set ups lend themselves quite well to the addition of sweeps, reaps, and other leg-fu.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Another major difference between these 2 arts is Judo encourages "tournament competation" but Aikido doesnot. Don't know the reason there. Since both arts came from Japan, you will assume that one art will influences the other art.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

For the same reason waki gatame isn't allowed full force in judo competitions. It's designed as an arm break and if applied full force it will do so but when you disallow it full force for safety reasons it's reduced to a position control technique which then has to be supplemented by other takedowns and submissions. Pretty much all the aikido locks and throws would have to have a similar restriction or be totally disallowed which would mean it would have to be supplemented by another art in a large way in which case why not just do that other art.

And that's in addition to the fact that some of the techniques work better from a self defence standpoint than a sparring standpoint.

7. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

Because Aikido isn't Judo? That is - every art has its own strategies of choice, and each strategic approach will have its own advantages and disadvantages.

Yoseikan, that was mentioned in another post, took the leg work from Judo, via Minoru Mochizuki.

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai

8. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

Traditional Japanese martial arts...really don't have tournament competition.

Tournament competition in Judo evolved gradually from the rougher traditional "matches", as things became more and more "sport-like". Donn Draeger wrote an interesting article on Kano and competition.

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I seem to remember that Koyo used to say the difference between the arts was essentially distance. Similar concepts, different range. I believe he was dan grade in both.

LFD

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

age?

Great article!!

Interestingly I wonder how in the 'old' days we had people like Mifune sensei and O Sensei who seemed to go past many of the limitations of age.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46veLgINFjU"]Mifune - The Essence of Judo (dubbed) - YouTube[/ame]

Recently I spoke to a high level competitor who did rubbish many of the older ideas/training methods.. and wondered how he would have performed against one of these older greats.

Age eventually bends us all but I wouldn't think that one should be so quick to write off those who went before.

Just sayin'

LFD

LFD

11. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Less toxins in the food, air, and water, and a less sedentary lifestyle.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

And a culture that was based on those who were exalted when they lived to a grand old age... at a time when birth records were not entirely accurate or reliable. Additionally the traditional Japanese diet was one primarily of fish, seaweed, veggies and a bit of rice. Copious amounts of tea... usually green.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Wouldn't combat effectiveness be more accurately described as a goal rather than a core principle of the art?

14. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

That's something that Kenji Tomiki used to say. It's not wrong, IMO, but it tends to ignore some of the other differences in strategy.

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Should "core principle" and "combat effectiveness" be the same for all MA systems?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Are you asking me should all arts be exactly the same?

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Should "ability to carry passengers" apply the same to cars, boats and planes? :)

18. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I like that analogy :)

But this question would be like saying

So, taikwondo emphasizes head kicks a lot, why doesn't karate emphasize them too?

Different arts are different, that's a good thing :) otherwise, it wouldn't be as fun.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like that analogy too. A seat in a car, boat, or plane should all fit a human body in. No matter what style that you train, you want yourself to be alive and your enemy to be dead.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Il settle for unable to attack me anymore. No need to kill people :)