What's it like to be a MAP Moderator?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Fu_Bag, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Always wondered if this is a job that's as hair line reducing as it seems to be. How many hours does it take to keep things friendly and upkept around here? Seems like it's quite a bit.

:bow1:

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It does depend on which sections you end up moderating. Some areas of the forum are, by nature, more flammable than others and require a lot more attention. Others just pretty much take care of themselves.

There's no set amount that needs to be done, but it is generally a pretty difficult and usually thankless job for the guys that have to wade in, delete posts, close threads and issue warnings.

However, they all work well as a team and generally manage to keep this place friendly and accessible.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm now nearly bald.

Mitch :D

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Lost your TKD as well. When did that happen?

5. Mitch

Just the other day. I haven't lost my TKD, I've added my Enshin; TKDEnshinMitch just seemed a little OTT :D

Mitch

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Depends on your area, IMHO it's toughest being a TM in one of the areas where maturity is used as a last resort by the posters. If I'm really honest moderating is easy so long as you can stay impartial. I've seen other large forums with moderators without this capacity and some truly unfair moderation where temp bans get handed out just for a different PoV to a moderator. I know occasionally we get accused of that here but in reality for 95% of these accusation we really don't have an opinion anyway. This kind of accusation is usually by the kind of poster who's guilty of the reported action, but a lack of impartiality often means they take offense only when it's directed at themselves or their position.

Being a Mod also means leading by example, we* cannot skirt the rules like some posters as we lead by example. I've deleted so many cheeky posts in the last few years before submitting them for exactly this reason that I would have lost count if I'd tried to keep count.

*Mitch notwithstanding.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Me too!

Also worth noting its not a job per say, no-one gets paid and MAP isn't run as a business.

On the upside we do all get to sexually harass Mitch for free.

8. Gary

Mitch notwithstanding.

9. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Thanks, Guys. :hat:

As you guys are probably aware, I started off here in the Ninjutsu subforum and kinda hung out there exclusively for a long time. Maybe it's just because of that fact, but the rest of MAP, to me, seems like it's mainly a friendly bunch of folks who don't need a ton of moderation. And I have to admit that I've probably, let's be honest here, *have*, added to some headaches around here and been quite a cheeky monkey at times. But it seems like, for the most part, things are fairly quiet in comparison outside of the NS. Is this the case or do you guys ban people left and right? Because I don't see anywhere near the amount of warnings and problems outside the NS as I do when I, for some godforsaken reason, follow some masochistic urge to head back in there. And I do bounce around reading the new posts for all sections but it just doesn't seem anywhere near as bad. More like a mild bit of tension here and there.

Oh, and on a side note, after the "Aegis" issue the other day, I'm guessing there must be a few of you who are also quite technically competent. But anyway, whatever you guys are doing seems to work quickly and work well. And I enjoy spending time on this site because of it. That's a good point about having to refrain from enjoying a good bit of cheekiness most of the time. Does that make it to where it's not as enjoyable to be a Moderator or do you just change your expectations for your experience here?

10. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Ah, so that's a wig, then? :D

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Now that Mitch has joined the dark side and become a karate guy, he too relies on Fish of Doom to keep the hair quotient for the rest of us.

12. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

So that's why Mitch's bouffant is lookin' so good. Who supplies your outfits?

13. Mitch

To be fair I rarely post for myself anymore, being just a sock puppet for Frodocious. At least I cut down the unadulterated filth she wants me to post.

Mitch

14. Gary

Yes but Frodo does most of the moderating that us GMs hope a TM will sort out so we let her do what she wants with you. :D

15. Mitch

*shudders*

The horror, THE HORROR!

Mitch

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

What's so scary about a food and pleasure deprived woman who studies the mating habits of beetles and possibly enjoys moderating the Ninjutsu subforum?

:thinking:

17. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Work well as a team? Pah! You never let me do what I want. I only stay around for the 'perks'...

The great thing about me being a GM is that objectively, the 'right' thing is 99% in line with my opinion. 'What a coincidence!' I hear you cry - but it's true. I am that special.

However, heavy lies the crown and all that. It's not all fun and games.

I have to look at the pictures Mitch and Frodo keep sending each other.

Yes, that's right. I have to.

18. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

That's not a perk? You know what they say, "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" :eek:

19. Gary

My therapist says I don't have to, she even insists I stop because it triggers my 'tendencies'. She doesn't get that we have to look.

20. Gary

She suffers from PTNFSD: Post Traumatic Ninjutsu Forum Stress Disorder.

Just don't let her near any cutlery.