what weapon do you use.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mcbain, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mcbain

mcbain 2eXtReMe

what weapon do you use for me it's nun-chuks. :woo:

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Weapons training is pretty much my favorite part of martial arts so I do about 40 of them but the flexible ones are my favorites. If I had to pick one I would go with the 3 section staff.

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

I train in a variety of weapons - the one I probably play with the most is the Jo (4 foot stick).

All the best.

Robert.

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nun-chucks? Never heard of them? Are they related to nunchaku? ;)

As for me, I use nunchaku, bo and sai :)

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I'm impressed - a 'FRIEND' gave me a three section staff that has metal end pieces - OUCH OUCH OUCH :eek:

I've pretty much given up on that one - so I bought myself a light-weignt three section staff - now it's more Thud, Crack, Ouch ;)

All the best.

Robert.

6. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I like the knife, but I've often wondered about that "ring" thingie...is it usually utilized for countering staffs and such?

7. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

right now the white wax single ended staff, and 9 section chain whip. the whips my favorite though, but more painful.

8. 19thlohan

Weapons training and iron body training at the same time? Never been a big fan of cross training myself!:D

9. mcbain

mcbain 2eXtReMe

Sorry if I got the spelling wrong Gaskell but nunchucks are a nin-jutsu weapon where in the middle is a chain and there are two sides on it for hitting your opponent although I do karate I just use them for training at home.I got an intrest in them because my brother was recently in Dublin and he bought a set of them.So there you have it Gaskell thats what nunchucks are.By the what is the you mentioned before I replied what are they? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yep, thats nunchaku, which are used in Okinawan Kobudo :)

11. Shai'tan

Shai'tan New Member

katana: Iaito and the wakizashi.

12. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I use 26" rattan escrima sticks, training knives, machette, bo staff & nunchaku. My favourites are the sticks and knives.

13. Lilika

Lilika Scientia est potentia

A Glock 17. :D

Swords mainly.

14. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I *train* with escrima sticks, knives, and occasionally a staff.

I don't *use* any weapons.

15. 19thlohan

Really? What do you use when your training?:confused:

16. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

I :love: all weapons!

17. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Katana, kodachi, yari, naginata, rokushakubo, kusarigama, chigiriki, kusari fundo, shuriken, tessen, jutte & kogusoku (Yoroi doshi).

18. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Except for katana & shuriken, I don't know what those words mean.

19. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Yeah! go kusari gama. For me it is a toss up for kusari-gama and a kama. Here are pictures of each

Attached Files:

20. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

To make a point: My sensei was very well known amoung our style of karate for having advanced proficiency in weaponry, especially odd styles of weaponry. Thus, we learned a LOT of odd stuff.
    The following is the full list of every weapon that I have trained with:
    Bo, nunchaku, sai, tonfa, katana, wakazashi (there IS a difference in the fighting styles....), manriki gusari (single chain), surushin (double-ended chain), sansetsukan (three-sectional staff), nekode (probably not the right term, but it's the only one I've found for ninja claws, can someone correct me on this?), oar, timbe and rochin (small shield and long-handled knife), shuriken, naginata.
    And that's just the eastern weapons.
    If we delve into the western side of things, add on saber, rapier, broad sword, glaive, and bow and arrow. Oh, yeah, and let's not forget rifle and handgun training.
    First off, look through the list of the eastern weapons and tell me what's missing...I have never picked up a pair of kama in my LIFE. I find that rather funny.
    So, now, my point? If I were going into a fight tomorrow to the death, which weapons would I be most likely to choose?
    Bo, katana, naginata, saber, rifle. FIVE. Out of twenty-one distinct and different weapons and styles of technique that I have learned, I would only be comfortable enough to (knowingly) defend my life with the skill that I have learned with five. I'd probably be capable of doing more with the others, but these are the ones that I know I have the proficiency with. They fit my body and fighting style and I have had enough years of practice with them.
    A lot of diversity in weaponry really only lets you narrow down precisely what is good for your body and your style.

As for the three-sectional staff, my advice is to wear a motorcycle helmet while training. You know the nunchaku point on the back of your elbow that you always hit when you first pick up those? That point moves to the back of your skull when you pick up a three-sectional. Our sensei learned that one the hard way! :D