What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I like that movie. :)

2. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Prince of Persia-5/10

Average movie if your bored, other then that nothing special to be honest.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, good one! Sam Peckinpah at his best.

Last movie I saw was Ninja Assassin, I think. Good fun. Vacuous, but good fun. Enjoyed seeing Sho Kosugi back in action. And Ben Miles from Coupling. Fight scenes were fun, albeit more special effects than actual choreography.

I'd watch it again. But it's not going in my top 10 of martial arts movies (nor, obviously, movies in general).

Stuart

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Lord of the Rings. All three films. Back to back.

I have no life on my days off. :)

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Dogtooth, crappy. Weird.
    She's out of my league, ok romcom, 6/10
    Hot tub time machine, quite funny similar to the hangover not as good.

6. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Angels and Demons: 7/10

Pretty interesting from start to end.

7. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I finally got round to seeing The Sensei, only had it on the computer for three months lol. Not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't fully prepared for it. I think I was expecting something a touch more along the lines of Karate Kid, I wasn't expecting to see crowbars in faces and pools of blood. Bloody good film though.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Valued Member

Knockabout with Yuen Biao, Beardy, Sammo, & Lau Kar Wing in the main roles. Very entertaining!

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I recently saw that too. Better than I'd expected. Obviously a Karate Kid knockoff. But tackled some heavy issues in a way that was, at times, a bit cheesy. But overall, I thought it handled the material well.

And while there weren't that many fight scenes, the ones there were, I enjoyed.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just watched Let The Right One In. Bunch o' Indie foreign language crap. Not a fan.

About to sit down and watch The Protector.

11. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The new Karate kid with Jackie Chan. Hate to admit it but I liked it !!

Nothing new except the fight scenes were technicaly better.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Man, I liked LtROI as well. If you decide you hate The Protector as well, I'm going to be at a loss. :)

I assume you mean the Tony Jaa movie. And not the old Jackie Chan flick, which I assume you already own, as it stars Superfoot.

Stuart

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Let the Right One In is one of the best horror films in years :p

14. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

After 30 years, I finally saw Cannibal Holocaust, one of the most disturbing and controversial films of its time (and maybe even ours).

As the story goes, the film was so graphic that the film makers were called to trial and had to provide the actors from the film to prove that it wasn't a snuff film in disguise.

The gore and technical style of the film isn't a lot to speak about by today's standards, though one impalement scene at the end was superb (and one of the major points of the above-mentioned trial). The subject matter and intensity found through the direction is gripping and very, very disturbing. Garunteed to leave a lasting taste in your mouth, in much the way Deliverance or 8mm did the first time viewed.

For fans of exploitation film, gore, disturbing controversy (rape, cannibalism, real animal murder), and/or film history buffs like myself, I highly recommend it. For everyone else, stay as far away from it as you can. :evil:

15. Hatamoto

I read somewhere that when they killed stuff in the film it was for real, when they did it to the animals at least, like they skinned a live monkey for real :/ Dunno if that's true as I've not seen it but I can't handle animal cruelty so it's not something I'm likely to find out for myself. It's funny, if I saw it ten years ago I would probably have enjoyed it, nowadays I can't even watch Bad Taste or Brain Dead coz I can't handle the gore :p

That said, Story of Ricky is still awesome xD

16. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

They did kill animals for real in the film, I think around 6. A muskrat, a giant turtle, a snake, a pig, a spider, and maybe something else.

I will say that I do not condone animal cruelty. However, this film was made in 1980. It's a fact of "art" of a bygone era, very rarely if ever do we kill animals in cinema these days. Like a quote I read from someone else about the animal cruelty in the film, "It's like reading a history book and being constantly bummed out about slavery in the United States. Yes slavery is wrong, but it's not around anymore in the United States." (italics were my addendum)

Some may argue that the murder of the animals was lewd and pointless to the plot of the film. I would agree, but would disagree that the killings were entirely pointless to the film. On a subconscious, psychological level, the real killings of the animals plays with your mind in a "if they killed those for real, maybe the people were killed for real too" kind of way. It's similar to techniques used in other ways in other films (like showcasing stock war footage for movies, etc.).

Hope that helps. :hat:

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha its a good film that but apart from the real animal killings it hardly warrants the controversy it received most of its just silly by today's standards. still worth a watch for some harmless horror fun. Bad Taste and Briandead are far better films anyway so your not missing out on that much hatamoto.

18. Hatamoto

Brain Dead does hold a special place in my heart simply for the "I kick **** for the Lord!" scene, that was probably the most rewound-and-watched-again scene of my entire teenage years :p

19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

"Stand back boy! This calls for divine intervention!" haha classic I just looked up The Story of Ricky and found the hole film on youtube Iv never herd of it before it looks quiet saucy is it worth a watch ?

20. Hatamoto

I regret not buying it from Hong Kong Legends when they were still going strong, but I was put off because it looked so ultraviolent, but the fights are good in it, and if you're a fan of the movie Ip Man, it has a 20-or-so year old Fan wotsit (the dude who plays the country bumpkin guy who challenges the schools in Fushan), it's quite a gory film, but that gives it the manga-y feel that it's based on. It's probably on par with Brain Dead, really. only a bit more martial arts than a single priest.