What style to go for?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Mr Fight, May 24, 2005.

1. Mr Fight

Mr Fight Valued Member

Hi i was wondering if someone could tell me what style of art would do mostly weapons training. Like bo staff for example.

We do bo patterns in TKD at Black Belt level but i thats how far it goes i wanna learn to use it properly.

Is there a style of martial art that will do mostly weapons training?

thanks

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The various FMA are heavily weapons oriented. The beginning student focuses on weapons prior to empty hands training. The FMA are great on their own and also compliment the the study of any other art. Check some of the threads on the FMA forum for mor detailed information.

3. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Nearly all the filipino styles start with weapons based training, so that would be a good start point, have a browse through the FMA forum and see what you think, there is staff training in the FMAs but most start out with shorter weapons, single stick, double stick, knife etc, you would have to see whats available locally to you. The FMAs are more functionally based in my opinion, more training drills than forms etc, but that only my opinion, and I'm biased as it what I do

Japanese Kobudo (spelling? ) is weapons based, bo, jo, sai, tonfa etc, with many styles retaining a strong combat orientation

It really depends on what is close to you and what type of weapons you want to learn

4. Mr Fight

Mr Fight Valued Member

Thanks for your reply's i will check out FMA but i dont think theres anywhere local that does it.

Ive looked into Iadio/Kendo class thats fairly local and might go along and check it out.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Iaido = the art of drawing the sword, and it is kata based, so if you dont like kata/forms, dont go for it. On the plus side, its swords if you like them. Aegis will probably be able to tell you more.

Kendo = Japanese fencing, using shinai. Kendoka wear armour, which can be expensive.

If you are looking for bo, there is issin-ryu karate which uses weapons (as well as some other styles), or okinawan kobudo using the bo, jo, sai, nunchaku, tonfa etc, or as already mentioned, there is FMA :)

6. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

If you do TKD why not consider Haedong Gumdo? (That is, if you want to keep to a Korean art.)

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

fma in london? there are quite a few guys in the fma forum that are in london.

try giving the following people a holler:

1) medi
    2) Stump
    3) daz (CSSD/SC_UK)

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

And of course Grand Master Danny Guba (Doce Pares "Multi Style" Eskrima Systems) a Filipino who now lives in London, plus there are many many more FMA clubs there including a Kalis Illustrisimo group under Guro Shamin Haque. There is also a Black Eagle Eskrima Group, oh the list goes on.

Where abouts in London are you???

Best regards

Pat

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Or you could look up western martial arts, WMA, two styles are from teh middle ages and so have a huge emphasis on weapon based training with some grappling. And there is a WMA forum here ask Louie he knows stuff, or stolenbjorn, or...shudder...me. I know some stuff, but Stolen Bjorn and Loue are much more knowledgable than I am on WMA as are a few other guys in th WMA forum.

10. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Not sure where in London you are but we do quie alot of weapons training. www.namyang.co.uk

Your problem is that most styles teach empty hand first and then weapons (sometimes much) later. The obvious exception being FMA (Filipino).

11. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

And most WMA groups tend to teach weapons moreso than unarmed, wel the medieval ones any ways.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Kenjutsu is another art you may wanna have a look at but it consentrates on the sword mainly so if your looking for a wider based art you may want something else

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Western MA in London

Hi Mr Fight
    Terry Brown, teaches Western MA in London, including staff, sword & dagger..
    http://www.maisters.demon.co.uk

Louie

14. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

I watch a show were they had a world champion at Kendo, Escrima, Kali, and Fencing. and had them fight each other to see what sword fighting was best. I do not mean to offend anyone but the Kendo got last place, third was Kali, Escrima got second, and the winner was the fencer. When you have that good hand eye cordination nothing can stop you. So learn spanish medieval Fencing and buy yourself a good Rapier is what id recomend.

15. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Yeah...I second what everybody's said :D

If you haven't already, you may want to consider the purpose of your training. Granted, all weapons systems are meant to strike and injure a target. However, some are more practical-oriented than others.

Do you wish to compete in tournaments, executing forms? If so, then the various dojos/kwoons teaching JMA kobudo or CMA weaponry as part of the curriculum should suffice. Some dojos teach the traditional katas (less flashy, but usually original forms) while others teach the modern katas (more flashy, choreographed to music, etc.). As these are usually meant for proper form mechanics, contact training with a partner is not the norm as most techniques are done in the air, usually without hitting a target to practice impact blows.

If you wish to compete in contact sparring, then perhaps kendo, fencing or FMA might be appropriate training. The various threads will give you an idea of what each of these arts entail. Partner training with protective gear would be the norm.

Or maybe you wish to learn a weapon in a different manner than those above? Something more spiritual, more internal than external in approach? Examples of what I mean are kyudo (Japanese archery); iaido (drawing the katana, visualizing a quick kill); tai chi sword; etc. These do not require contact upon another person during training.

However, if you'd like to learn the general principles of weapons at every level imaginable that could be applied to any sort of weapon (either weapon-specific like a knife or club; or improvised like a pen, keys, etc.), then the FMA would be ideal. It's more self-defence, combat-oriented.

It really all comes down to what your goals are & what you like. If you like a specific weapon (e.g. butterfly swords), then you should naturally attend the school that teaches that weapon (e.g. wing chun kwoon).

The posters have some great suggestions, so mine is really just re-inventing the wheel, so-to-speak :eek: Just wanted to pitch-in :)

Good luck...

16. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Wma

I'd strongly recommend the Exiles and Schola Gladiatoria - both study Italian style combat - wrestling, longsword etc,both clubs have good reputations AFAIK

17. KSprenk

KSprenk be

Generally in the Bujinkan you lean a large variety of weapons styles, but mostly with a bo or sword(in our school anyway).

18. Arikuni

Arikuni New Member

my dojo teaches weapons exclusively. the only reason we do jiu-jutsu is to strengthen our hands and wrists. our primary weapon is the yari (japanese spear) the shortest that training yari get is equal to the longest that competition bo get so if you have any previous bo experience(i didnt entirely understand the post) you might want to look into su-jutsu, the japanese art of spear. when going from a cma or fma to a jma there is often times philosophical differences you will have to personally overcome. going from tkd to a japanese art is not as hard mentally as going from chinese to japanese or vice versa. this is kinda off the topic but ive heard that filipino martial arts are so different physically from most others that ppl just dont make the change for the most part

19. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Sounds like you are training in one of those fake styles out there. FYI- the way most MAists use the bo is totally different from the way the classical Japanese spear is used. And the name of the art is Sojutsu- not su-jutsu.

20. Chris Umbs

Chris Umbs New Member

Kyle,

Can you tell us a bit about this show?

Chris