what should i do

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by coolpoosa, Dec 13, 2005.

1. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

A couple of weeks ago, one of my friends got angry at me for teasing him about his big head. He then ran at me throwing several punches left and right, then kicking. Me only just starting karate, i found myself stuck (he is alot larger then me) i could only block so few punches, he was too fast. Since i've just started i haven't learnt so much, but just incase my teacher doesnt teach me, any suggestions what to do? I asked another friend and he said just block my chest with my hands crossed and kick him in the balls....? :confused: :confused:

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I don't know why Im replying to this but if you cross your hands on your chest I would think common sense would tell you that you might be exposing your face? Seeing as this guy is your friend maybe that's not a concern but if thats the case then seeing as your friends and the guy is apparently alot larger than you maybe the solutions is to not comment on the size of his head...

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah don't tease people about the size of thier head!! :rolleyes:

:bang: :bang:

4. alister

alister Huh?

Blocks generally suck - you can deflect single strikes, but when it's a flurry, they simply don't work.

Better to cover up (bring your arms up by your head), take the blows on the outside of your arms, move in and grab the attacker by the head...then do whatever..take down, strikes, grapple etc etc...

Moving in may seem counterintuitive, but it effectively netralises strikes, which require a certain distance - so long as you've covered up, the worst you'll get is a few bruises on the arms....plus, once you've grabbed the attacker you can mess his balance up - if he's too busy trying to stay on his feet, he won't be worrying about trying to hit or kick you.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yup, what the first two replies said. By trying to block his punches you're attempting to deal with the symptoms of the problem.

Deal with the cause of the problem - stop teasing him about his head. ;)

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

We melon-headed folk don't like it when you tangerine-headed folk make fun.

Stop it.

:D

7. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

scream like a girl and run away!
    no... seriously keep your hands in front of your face!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Because it needed to be said again. And again. And again.

Make fun of your friend's head again, and I'm going to start rooting for him. Maybe pop over and give HIM some advice on how to get past your deadly crossed-hands defense. :)

9. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

A guy goes into the doctor's office says " It hurts when i bend my elbow. what shopuld I do?" The doctor says " Well, don't do that!". :Alien:

10. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

You could trow yourself to the ground, knee in front of him, ask him for forgiveness, and then giving him a blow just in the balls when he doesnt expect it.

It works amazingly good!

11. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Was THAT what my friends were always trying to do?

Well it doesn't work if your intended victim simply takes advantage of your prostration and starts throwing elbows instead of standing there for you to deliver a cheapshot... :rolleyes:

12. Never2Late

Never2Late New Member

I would think a true friend wouldn't attack you, but then again I would think a true friend would leave the size of his friend's head alone. Duh!

13. coolpoosa

coolpoosa New Member

OK OK geesus, i know i shouldnt have teased him, but can you guys suggest counters instead of telling me off? Yeah and i know i shouldnt have teased him, but you think i don't know that by now?

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Apology-fu? ;)

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It could be worse - he could have headbutted you. :D

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Nikejutsu is a good solution to most fights!!

:D

17. Gray

Gray New Member

I wouldn't let that happen again man, ever. Seriously, it's too dangerous not to be prepared for his flurry of blows the next time... and it's your God-given RIGHT to point out his shortcomings, or they wouldn't be there in the first place! Now there are several schools of thought on this one, but I strongly recommend packing heat. Next time he advances on you, give 'im the old POW POW in the kneecaps, dig? It's a jungle out there in the schoolyard.

18. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

You dont have many friends do you

19. Greg

Greg Valued Member

That made me laugh.

If someone is just running at you while swinging wildly, just move to the side and kick them (this is from a Karate point of view).

Another suggestion (probably what I would do) is weave the punches and come in close and grab him, positioning your head somewhere around his armpit so that it is too close for him to effectively hit. From here, you can do lots of things: put him off balance, step in with your right foot and throw him over your shoulder, hit him in the body, or if you don't want to make things worse, just keep holding on until he calms down.

What kind of friend launches at you just because of jokes? He's either really insecure about the size of his head, or he's not that good of a friend.

20. CrazyMoonwalker

CrazyMoonwalker Dancing with the devil

Deflect one of his punches towards his body, so that his side is completely exposed, and strike on the side of the ribs, grab the back of his head and knee him on the stomach, or plant your foot on the back of his knee so that his leg bends and his knee goes to the ground, then force him into submission.

And dont get mad that the others are telling you off instead of giving you counter techniques, the best self defense in martial arts is avoiding to fight.