What martial arts can benefit from wearing a rash guard while training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DannyBJJfan, Aug 12, 2021.

1. DannyBJJfan

DannyBJJfan New Member

I recently bought a cool rash guard(link deleted) from (company name deleted). I use it for my BJJ classes, but I also take Muay Thai. Do you there there's an added benefit to wear a rash guard while training in MT or any sort of striking? They do promote a line of Muay Thai rash guard, but I know nobody in Thailand is using one. Is it because they are still very traditional and behind in their training methodologies? Or is it because it's just not necessary?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2021
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Rash guards are useful for anything that involves sweat. I use them boxing, running, jumping rope, anywhere there might be some skin on skin friction action, because otherwise I'll get rashes in all sorts of annoying places like my underarms.

I don't grapple much other than basic Tai Chi so I haven't found a need there yet. Considering picking up judo or something as well, and knowing how stiff karate gis were and how I used to rash up, I'd imagine judo is even worse so if I do that I'll definitely be wearing a rash guard vs a t shirt.

3. DannyBJJfan

DannyBJJfan New Member

True, I didn't think about sweat wicking to be honest. I was only focused on skin to skin friction with others. But yes, prolonged sweating, plus your own skin to skin friction can cause you rashes.

So why is it in your opinion that most strikers still don't use rash guards as a regular training apparel?

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had been using them in running far before in any martial arts, they are generally a nicer material to train in.

I've observed more striking places that have some sort of uniform have recently been using a similar type of material, but not necessarily the tight rash guard style.

Grond likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Athletic wicking t shirts (open cell/ heat gear etc) are different to rash guards (closed cell/surfing gear).

They're usefull to reduce skin on skin contact, and reduce the sweat on the mat, which is all good if you are training in a busy matted room, and are trying to reduce the risk of skin diseases!

They use them in Thailand for MMA practice in some gyms, but it's so humid there, I'm not sure if there's a point, and the relative cost is much higher for the product.

Grond likes this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Dunno, I see strikers training in rashguards all the time, in any sport.

Like Deadpool said I didn't mean wicking. Polyester, nylon, etc isn't really meant to absorb sweat but it does provide a nice, smooth barrier with little friction, and it stays pretty dry compared to cotto, but you'll stay hotter, which is an import consideration.

Cotton is a great barrier when dry, but absorbs sweat too well and becomes wet and heavy.

The wicking gear is OK for sweat control, but I definitely get rashes from them because they are more abrasive than the poly or nylon or blends.

I'd wear different things based on friction. Roadwork training I'd go rashguard and compression shorts. Sparring I typically wear a wicking T and comp shorts. Bagwork, I wear nothing up top at all because I sweat like a stuck pig.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod warning: Welcome to MAP DannyBJJfan. But please take a minute to click on the "terms and rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page and read up on the advertising policy. (Seeing as there is a personal connection to a link you keep posting.) And then contact listowners Mitch or Simon for advertising rates before posting these types of links again. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021