What makes up a good boxing gym?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Ero-Sennin, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been into MMA for a while, and would like to compete at some point but I'm starting to find a major interest in boxing. I think I could begin competing much earlier in boxing then in MMA because it is a focus on one skill set mastery (not to diminish the difficulty in becoming proficient in this skill set) and I think it would transfer much better into MMA then just trying to go about learning all the different disciplines in MMA from the start. Some benefits I see is you learn to get hit better, you work on a very disciplined skill set, and it causes you to have to engage your opponent KNOWING you're going to get hit rather then just trying to work around it.

Regardless of how I see it, I have no clue what to look for in a boxing gym that suggests it's a good place to start learning and that you'll be taken care of when you want to start competing.

I've heard some pretty bad stories about boxing gyms that tend to use their new guys as punching bags for the better fighters and that adequate attention will not be given to you. Has anyone had any experiences like this?

What are the bare essentials for a decent boxing gym as far as equipment? What are MUST HAVES and what things can be overlooked? What type of certifications am I looking for?

Also, I'm in the VA, DC, MD area, so if anyone has experience in that area with any awesome gyms I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

From my experience, join an amateur boxing gym, where you know you will be able to compete regularly. If they have a website, try and find out how many fighters they have, and how well their fighters have done in the ring, as an indication of how good the tutelage is i.e. are any of the fighters title holders, etc. Also, try and find out to whom the school is affiliated. In the uk we have the the amateur boxing association, for example, who regulate all amateur clubs and competitions. A lot of this just comes down to common sense in all honesty.

If you decide to train at a particular club, I would always opt for one that will really focus on technique. I have been to boxing clubs where I was worked hard, and did a lot of fitness training, and went home thinking I had a really good workout. But then thinking back, I never really learned a lot there. I learned far more at a club where everything was really broken down, and I had ample opportunity to apply and refine my skills. Just because you are working hard does not mean that you are doing good boxing.

Finally, and this is very much based on my own experiences which some may disagree with, I would always avoid a club that offers White Collar Boxing. I know of quite a few amateur boxing trainers who won't allow you to compete if you are involved in white collar boxing, as it is quite a contentious issue at the moment. I don't really care for all that side of it, but I have fought in white collar bouts on two occasions in two diferent clubs, in two different parts of the uk, and got really screwed on both counts. This wasn't just me, many of my friends also were treated very poorly. As I say this is very much my own experience, and some others may have had a great time with white collar boxing, but if you are serious about boxing, go amateur.

With regards to certification, I have no idea about the US, but here in the UK there are certification levels, ranging from 1 to 5, regulated by the ABA. I would imagine there is something similar in the US.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012