What is with all those energy drinks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Every time it seems I go into a store there is some new product in the cooler or on the counter claiming to be a miracle energy boost drink.And plus I have a friend that has got to the point of using them he claims to fight off sleep.

They are extremely expensive for what you get and very popular but I don't use them. My energy boost is a good old cup of coffee.

And even exercising in the heat regular I drink gatorade on occasion.But mostly just plain water and for salt replenishment a bag of fritos.

Anyone here use the energy boost products to function in your daily life?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Red bull sorts me out if I'm having a drowsy morning, but too much and I'm a twitchy mess until lunch.

...but I'm a caffeine junkie, and proud.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It's quite funny when you see teenage "hard lads" walking along swigging them from the can as if it were a can of special brew. Obviously preparing for their future careers.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I struggle on my day shifts, due to my sleep problems. (sometimes I have 3-4hrs sleep, then later in the week it all catches up to me and i'm comatose for a day)
    so to help me out I do have the odd red bull. I dont like it, but it does help me a little. It gives me enough boost so I can keep an eye out for my work till my break where I'll get something healthy to eat or walk around or basically chill out and balance my mind.

I only get 15min breaks at work (45 for food) so not enough to nap.

Red bull doesnt give me wings, it gives me a headache and a need to go to the loo.

I've tried Monster and mate....i thought my heart was going to blow up.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I can go days without drinking energy drinks, but not often. Ive recently come off an Adderall prescription and the loss of the extra energy is def noticeable... I usually stick with a sugar free version of something, at least.

I CAN STOP WHENEVER I WANT!

6. APC

APC Valued Member

I was knocking back a couple of cans of Monster a day for a couple of months, sometimes one after another. I didn't notice any percievable benefit, only that my wee went lime coloured and my heart beat like crazy for about 8 hours after, and sometimes into the night. I dread to think what it did to my teeth.

7. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I tried some relentless once. Think I fell asleep feeling incredibly nauseous :p I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't cost a quid for a 250ml can and taste like a crackhead's wee*

*As pleasant as I imagine such a thing would taste, not based on experience :p

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

At my first boxing match I weighed in, then downed one of the free 500ml cans of rockstar that were freely available (the event was sponsored by them). Then 20 minutes later had to do the medical. Needless to say my heart-rate was wayyyyy up, I had to go off, lie down for an hour then try again, horrible experience, and really showed me how much they affect your heart-rate!

9. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

had a few family members suffer bad side effects from a pure redbull OD.....I think in the right circumstances the odd one would do some ppl good but not for me, im to old to be hyperactive:) and never had any bad side effects from good ol lucozade!

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I fall asleep at the slightest amount of alchohol. So my friends who can drink more than most humans should be able to experimented (or at least came up with the idea) that surely a Vodka RedBull should at least keep me awake.

Vodka make me sleepy + Red Bull wake me up. The result was me...feeling sleepy with a rapid heart rate.

Weird stuff.

11. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Just depends on how you respond to caffeine :)

12. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I now try and avoid all of them except Lucozade Sport. Not sure that counts, but that energy stuff really seems to have a bad effect on me.

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Funny thing is when I tried to drink the energy drinks while working long hours at the hospital where I used to work, I would crash within 30 minutes of drinking it.. I haven't had any energy drinks since then, because my kick for caffeine comes from Green tea with basil.

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Welcome to insulin!

When I was into mountain biking we used to neck 3or 4 monsters or rockstars a day, looking back it was clearly an image and culture thing. 'We do extreme sports, drink monster and use words like knarly look at us'

Now my energy comes from a clean diet and regular blood sugar/insulin levels.

When I worked in a coffee shop the staff, myself included used to do daft on the free coffee, made you feel like crap.

15. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Worst hangover ever was getting drunk off of Sparx it was an orange flavored alcoholic energy drink. I couldn't pass out to sleep it off and was having a very bad hangover combined with and equally bad crash at work the next day.

I hate energy drinks. Cup o Joe wins out everytime as does a variety of teas.

16. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Several companies sell drinks that are basically energy drink+alcohol, it's been banned in more than a few states due to health concerns, they say it sent several students to the hospital in Washington state nearly killing one.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/10/25/high-alcohol-energy-drink-sickens-students/
    Of course drinking to much beer can do that too, if you drink enough...

17. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

i have then now and again to try and ease a hangover or as you say a cup of coffee either way theres lots of cafine in both so whatever lights your candle

18. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I would drink them from time to time when working a double shift. Usually helped give that boost you need. Although I found more often than not that I would get anxious from them, and my heart would pound.

19. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

funny you should mention the anxiety because energy drinks and coffee do make me feel the same even on 1 or 2 occasions ive had a panic attack off them lol.:D

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You have to remember caffine doesnt boost energy, it borrows energy from later on, hence the crashing later on.

Ive recently been having taurine in my morning breakfast OJ/Coffee, it acts to increase the neurotranmitter and seems to give me more alertness but not in the horrible caffine overdose way.

Anyone else taking taurine outside of red bull?