What is Taijiquan ( Tai Chi Chuan )

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Mofan, May 17, 2011.

1. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) is without doubt the most popular of all internal styles in the West. The name "Taiji" is often translated as "Great Ultimate" and according to Chinese cosmology refers to the state of the universe from which Heaven and Earth, Yin and Yang are born. The theory of the style is based on this dialectics and uses pairs of contradictory but at the same time complimentary terms like "solid-empty", "hard-soft", "open-close", etc.

There are two theories concerning the origins of Taijiquan: one derives the style from Zhang Sanfeng, legendary Taoist hermit from Wudang Mountains. According to the other the art was developed by Chen clan from Chenjiagou village in 17th century in central China's Henan province. Lack of convincing arguments leads to never ending disputes between followers of both sides.

The art of Taijiquan is divided into five main branches. Chen style is based on "silk reeling energy" and is known for using many fast movements and obvious power. Yang style was created by Yang "the Invincible" Luchan and is the most popular of all branches. It is characterized by slow, flowing movements. Wu (Yuxiang) style is often called "scholar's style" and uses small, compact movements. Wu (Jianquan) style is based on small frame Yang style. Sun style combines Xingyi and Bagua movements using Taijiquan frame. There is also a style popular in Zhaobao village by some considered an off-shoot of Chen style.

The main feature of Taijiquan are its slow, relaxed, linked movements. Apart from standing and routine practice, one should engage in Pushing Hands - exercises with partner that not only allow to correct all errors within one's own frame, learn all basic "strengths" of Taijiquan, but also the ability to almost effortlessly defeat the opponent by using softness against hardness according to principle "to overcome the power of 1000 pounds with a power of four ounces".

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

One should also engage in free-fighting and other partner work of various kinds,including pairing up with people from systems other than T'ai Chi. Do you and your people do this,or is your only partner work push hands?

The link to your site only leads me to pages which aren't in English so I was unable to find out anything there.

Not sure, but Fred's post leads me to believe you may be copying and pasting things here from sites other than your own. If so you should acknowledge where such things come from. It is considered unjust to the author not to give them credit for their work This is said in all friendliness and if I misunderstood his post I apologize.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[​IMG]

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The name Taijiquan can be directly translated quite easily. It means Supreme (or Grand) Ultimate Fist. Simple, no? Well, actually, this causes quite a lot of confusion. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve come across people having the direct translation correct, but falling into the trap of not quite grasping what it means. It’s fairly easy to do.

At first glance, the name Supreme Ultimate Fist can appear to be boastful. It is easy to think that it is the equivalent to calling a style “Best Fighting Style Ever.” I’ve seen otherwise apparently knowledgeable people use this to justify statements proclaiming Taijiquan’s superiority, on the basis that no-one would call a style “Best Fighting Style Ever” if it weren’t true. This is rather naive.

The key thing to remember here is that “Supreme Ultimate” refers to a Daoist principle. The principle is that of the yin/yang duality of all nature. In Daoist philosophy, this is the guiding, foundation principle upon which everything rests. The style of Taijiquan is named for this principle, as it is the central principle upon which the style of fighting is based.

The entire point here is that we need to keep in mind that translations can be the basis for much confusion. When we base our ideas on assumptions, we can go off on entirely the wrong tangent, especially if the assumptions we make are incorrect in fact. It comes down to the old adage that a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It doesn’t do to become complacent. When we cease to seek answers for ourselves and simply begin to take someone else’s word for something, or base opinions and beliefs on fragmented information, we end up deluding ourselves. And we also end up perpetuating errors, and it will be believed by even more people that “Taijiquan” means “Best style ever”

There is a slight difference between Tai Chi and Tai Chi Quan (Chuan)

5. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

Yeah, good statements are in good place.

6. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

It is from our site www.chenpeiju.com. It is site in English and Chinese. When you get in the site, you can click the entry "ENTER ENGLISH" in the top right corner. I think you can find something different.

7. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

8. Osu Mofan,

Why?
    (let me guess..... hummmmmm, you are selling training in China to unsuspecting westerners?)

The rest is straight out of a cultural revolution era badly translated prospectus.

Osu!

9. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

10. Osu,

Okay, I'll take your word for it... Thank you for coming forward. :)
    However, if I like coca cola and want to share this taste with others, I would relate my own personal experience - give a little bit of myself - and not copy paste coke ads, give links to commercial websites, etc...
    If I was a fresh addict to pepsi, I would try not to appear as an authority, but would rather ask questions after sharing and disclosing where I am at...

Looking forward to your posts, and reading about your journey in Chen TaiJiQuan Mofan. :)

Osu!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. Mofan

Mofan Valued Member

I don't know how to speak with you. You always get your own vision to see others. I post it just because I like it just, the same as that I love a picture so that i post it. I've never thought it is improper. What's more, why should I have to explain so much. I just am myself. Everyone can speak anything. And thank you for your replies.

12. Hannibal

Fred is spot on - you are posting OTHER people's views without offering comment or analysis of your own.

It is cool that you are so enthusiastic about your art, but although you may be being yourself, your posts are effectively someone elses

13. taoistscholar

taoistscholar Valued Member

Lets get back to the topic, what is taijiquan?

In attempts to clarify, we must first grasp the taoist concept of taiji or "the grand ultimate" as it has many times been translated as so. Taiji is the creative force, mother of all that is and isn't. all manifestations, conventions, experiences or whatever you wish to call it, are a result of taiji. Is and isn't produce one another, measure one another, complement one another, and relate one another.
    Now taijiquan is the application of the Taoist concept "taiji" into i guess what can be called martial arts. Taijiquan is applying this philosophy to ourselves and letting this natural occurrence regulate our body and self in all areas of our life.

14. taoistscholar

Lets get back to the topic, what is taijiquan?

In attempts to clarify, we must first grasp the taoist concept of taiji or "the grand ultimate" as it has many times been translated as so. Taiji is the creative force, mother of all that is and isn't. all manifestations, conventions, experiences or whatever you wish to call it, are a result of taiji. Is and isn't produce one another, measure one another, complement one another, and relate one another.
    Now taijiquan is the application of the Taoist concept "taiji" into i guess what can be called martial arts. Taijiquan is applying this philosophy to ourselves and letting this natural occurrence regulate our body and self in all areas of our life.

15. Osu,

What does that mean? :)

Osu!

16. taoistscholar

Is and isn't are another way of describing yin and yang. Yin and yang are the extreme polar opposites that define the potential difference. Just as a batteries potential difference (the volt) is defined by the flow from positive to negative and just as a falling objects potential difference is defined by the flow from a greater gravitational height to a lesser gravitational height. All sources of energy function the same way because there is only one energy. The Taoist notion of Tai Chi symbolizes the "grand ultimate" flow of nature's polar opposites commonly termed yin and yang; when yin and yang are flowing this is Tai Chi.

Tai Chi Chuan is applying this philosophy to our physical form. Therefore, distinguishing yin and yang in ourselves, defining the potential difference carrying the energy many call "chi".

Hope this helps. Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. what does "Osu" mean? is that the japanese short form for good morning??

17. Hannibal

One of the big problems i have with these kind of concepts - and I include my own art of JKD in that - is that so much of it is mental masturbation that often becomes perfunctory to actually fighting or training.

Nodding the head does not row the boat

18. taoistscholar

Yes, this is why the concepts need to be let go of almost entirely. Conceptualization can aid in clarifying and helping to lead the student to certain epiphanies. But there definitely comes a problem when the practitioner becomes attached to the concepts and mentally masturbates haha.

19. Osu,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question... :)
    I still don't understand... I think you should try to type more slowly to give me a chance (joking here... :D:D)

I took the explanation found on the US kyokushin karate website to answer your question about the meaning of osu:
    Osu is a contraction of the words:
    押し Oshi meaning "Push"
    忍ぶ Shinobu meaning "to Endure"
    It means patience, determination and perseverance. Every time we say "Osu", we remind ourselves of this.

Osu!