What is kick boxing?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by New Guy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Hello there,

I have been doing TKD for about 1 year, liked the art.

Anyway, sometimes I feel that it isn't enough... I wanted to do some kind of boxing type thing that is more vigorous, and I found out that there is a kick-boxing club near my school.

So, what is kick-boxing? It is like boxing with kicking elements? How is the training like? Alot of bag work? What about sparring? I like to know what is it like to go cross train TKD and kick-boxing, if anyone have that kind of experience.

I won't be able to enroll Untill sometime in the end of June, so I like to know how a kick-boxing lesson should be held, I don't want to spend $$$ on a McDojo afterall!

2. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

Could you specify what kind of kickboxing it is because it depends on the school and the style (i.e. Thai, Savate, American, etc.).

However, the best way to describe kickboxing in general is boxing with kicks.

3. Hi :)

Kickboxing - Boxing with karate kicks. Fights take place in a ring, like boxing, and the rules are the same with the obvious difference of kicks being allowed.

Full contact/American rules - Kickboxing in a ring with all kicks over waist ONLY. Leg kicks = warnings/DQ. Minimum 6 kicks per round.
    International/leg kick - same as Full contact with the addition of leg kicks and no 6 kick minimum.
    Continuous - No knockout form of kickboxing. Rules same as Full Contact (with no knockouts and a generally lower level of contact). Fights can end on a stoppage if one fighter is unable to continue, or if he gets knocked out by an accidental shot. Full blows resulting in KOs end up as a DQ.

Depends on wether you attend a gym or a class. A lot of classes focus on technique & continuous side. You will do padwork and light sparring. Generally produce better technicians.

Gyms will breed fighters (FC/Leg kick and some continuous). Typical session: Cardio (skipping). Strength/endurance time (crunches, push ups, medicine ball etc) and then a choice of bagwork/pad work/sparring.

Any more questions give us a shout :)

4. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Ahh you know what? I just found out that the club thing isn't a kick-boxing class, it is a kick-boxing workout, so there don't be any sparring at all. However it is said that its aim is to promote body conditioning and technical skill, but not train for combat. There are traditional training on heavy bags , Thai pads, medicine ball, ropes, etc. The course is designed by Chris Mulroney-Bishop... anyone know who this guy is???

So is that the gym type of kickboxing you were talking about?

Thank you.

5. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

If there isn't any sparring I wouldn't even take the class.

But it depends on what you want to do.

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Id stay away from that class and find one that has sparring.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

kickboxing without sparring is like a broken pencil.

pointless.

8. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

That's what they say... so it isn't a real class of kick-boxing.

But what if, say I already do TKD and weight-training, and I am taking that as my extra workout??? It doesn't cost too much, but I like to hear what everyone has to say. :)

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

You could use it as an extra workout, but it will be only that. You'd get the same result from taking any fitness class, but it won't make any difference to your fighting.

10. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

If you only want to do it for the punches to compliment your TKD, why don't you go find a boxing gym?

11. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I'll have been thinking about that too... but I would slightly perfer kick-boxing. I still haven't make up my mind yet... and I am not even sure if I could handle all these things...

12. I'm sure there are a few gyms in Aus.

Sparring is probably more of a workout than anything, TBH. People just get the idea it's 2 big brutes leathering each other which it is not (most of the time ;))

13. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

So, from the description I gave above, if there was sparring in that club, would that make it a real kick-boxing class? Or is there still other stuff that a real kick-boxing class can't be without?

Thanks.

14. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Without going to the lesson and seeing it it's impossible to tell. It's possible that they've taken a kickboxing lesson and just omitted sparring, but more likely is that it's been adapted for aerobic exercise, turning it into more of a boxercise/aerokick etc. type lesson.

If you're interested in kickboxing, I'd say you should steer clear of that club and find one that actually trains people to fight - at the end of the day that's what kickboxing's all about.

15. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Umm... so what has a kick-boxing session genernally does?

-Padwork (What exactly is this?)
    -Heavy bags
    -Medicine ball
    -Ropes
    -Sparring (3 minute in a ring or something???)

Is that all? Or should there be more, for the core of a session?

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

this is how mine goes-

skipping for about 15 minutes
    stretching
    shadow boxing
    padwork with a partner for about an hour going through various combinations, counter attacks etc
    shadowboxing
    sparring for about half an hour- fourty minutes

17. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Hi newguy:
    As it is , you already do sparring in TKD,now if its either this new class or nothing, then take this new class for now.
    It will be good for fitness, it will maybe teach you some kickboxing techniques/combinations. Maybe you will get a basic insight, and if its cheap theres nothign to lose really.
    One thing though, the fact that it is "fitness kickboxing" means that you should not delude yourself that it is real kickboxing that you are doing.
    Also, why is the instructor teaching kickboxing like that? Does he/she know real kickboxing?

Padwork =
    The pad holder should be able to hold focus mitts for boxing combos and thai pads for kick punch combos. In a fitness kickboxing it is unlikely that you will have proper pad holders.
    Examples of padwork combos:
    Left Roundhouse (use the shin)-Right Cross
    Jab-Cross-Rear leg roundhouse kick
    Left Body hook-Right cross -Right Roundhouse kick

Now you can teach a monkey to do those combos BUT, kickboxing is all about defence not just offence.
    A fitness class like this they wont be able to teach you to have cortrect guard, poise,posture and keeping elbows in etc while throwing kicks.
    If people are throwing a jab/left hook and dropping the right hand,.. then the instructor is a prat.

Conclusion:
    Use the class for fitness , dont count on it for real kickboxing.

18. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Ok, but how long have you been doing this for? It doesn't sound like anything for beginners... do they have different levels of training depend on how experienced/fit you are... like dividing into grades like beginners, advanced, pro, etc... may I also ask what shahow boxing is? Thanks! :D
    I am thinking about that too, since I wanted to improve my fitness level to start with.
    I didn't know it has no sparring to start with but found out later on... the founder supposed to be a fully qualified teacher (Yu Shih Method) with additional certificates from the Thai Boxing Association of the USA and the Jun Fan Kickboxing School of the Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts, Los Angeles... I am not sure why they are teaching it like this, but it may be targetted for students who are not after combat skills but want a fitness training. Here's that the paper thing say:
    Anyway thanks for your replies!

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Mine went something like;
    Warmup
    Shadowboxing
    Bagwork
    Padwork
    Sparring
    Plus more of anything you feel you need to work on.

20. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

So what do you do on your warmup? Stretching, skiping or/and anything you like?

What is shadow boxing???