What is everyone's current focus?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Yuhp Cha Ki, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Yuhp Cha Ki

Yuhp Cha Ki Valued Member

With regards to your training what is your current focus right now? I'm not interested in any franchise chat, just good old training!:)

For myself, I'm currently working on tidying up my 1st to 2nd degree set of techniques and trying to get Baek Pahl Ki Hyung and Kyuk Pah Hyung smooth.

So what are you all working on?

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I have 2 choices...

Make a lo-o-ong list (like what Pugil did on the Book Recommendation thread), or simply say:

EVERYTHING!

:D

3. Yuhp Cha Ki

Yuhp Cha Ki Valued Member

Can't remember who said it but it was along the lines of

"He who focuses on everything at the same time will perfect nothing"

4. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I'm working on my breathing at present... As in, keeping it going! ;)

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Contact continual sparring and alive techniques

6. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Body conditioning. I feel that to reach the next level in skill I need to be in much better shape. I also want to avoid injury, so basic strength and stretch is necessary. I am not getting any younger!!

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I deserve that, as it was a bit of a "cop-out" not to make an actual list. But to be honest, I couldn't think of where to begin. In my defense, however, I never said that I was working on everything simultaneously. ;)

8. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i dont know who posted the vid on map, but ive been checking out the matt thornton vids and trying to figure out how to safely make a live training pattern for our techniques. its all still in brainstorming phase tho. im currently trying to get my timing better on my hyung. on monday, master yang was telling us how hands fast, feet slow meant timing the step and strike (after beginner stage) should coincide

9. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Watch some videos of judo randori if you're not already familiar with it. My partner and I will start off with one of us working on say too kis while the other works on bahng too kis, and then switch it about, and then both of you go for throws.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

For my stand up, I'm just working on getting to be a competent puncher. After years of practice I still paw, my range still needs adjustment, and I need to let my punches go. For my kicks, I'm working on my shin kick. I've got a pretty good roundhouse, but it's still got traces of my old TKD past, and I'm hitting half shin half instep. So I'm working on getting a little closer and really laying my shin across the bag.

For my takedowns, I'm working on staying relaxed, locking my grips in, and shooting my takedowns without "steps." For my submissions I'm working on retaining control and removing space as I move from my hold down to my sub.

11. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Well, with my Final (P.G.) Black Belt Testing for Jo Kyo Nim at Liverpool in November, I suppose I am trying to concentrate on remembering all my techniques, getting my forms as good as I can get them, and generally making sure I try to keep my standards up as high as I can in order to do as well as I can in the testing.

Otgher than that, my focus after that is to work on my techniques to ensure I cam getting them effective, looking at my footwork, the angles, ensuring the initial "grab" is right, etc, etc, etc. My main intention is to not be where an attack is being directed, and then to counter ... not easy!!!

My next main area of focus will be getting my flexibility sorted out and try and get not only my hips etc better able to get higher kicks sorted out, but to loosen off my shoulders and upper back which are far too rigid from too many years of rugby, weights, and humping silly amounts of kit around the boonies as an infanteer!!!

12. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

:) Is "Kit" what you call Women over there ? :)

13. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

LOL ... I wish!!! :)

Unfortunately not, more like a burgen with my "home" in it; a day-sack with rat-packs, spare ammo etc. etc, my webbing; either an SLR or a GPMG, and then later an SA80 or an LSW, and if I was really lucky the radio, spare batteries and other such stuff.

It would have been much nicer if "Kit" was a bonnie lass or two!

14. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

quozl, ive started flexibility training as well. have you read stretching scientifically? worked wonders for my sword kick

15. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

I am working on Left handed sword form and Juhl Bong Hung. THis is not the double safety jool gong used in WKSA, but a single rope staff, ie like a short staff with a rope which loops round your wrist. I was first made aware of this weapon years ago by some Koreans who came to try my class. They were surprised that I called the SSahng Chuhl Bong a "Jool Bong". I had forgotten about that incident until I joined the NKMAA and was introduced to the Juhl Bong. There is no "safety" version used so headgear is advisory for beginners!

16. primal_geek

primal_geek New Member

Continual Contact Sparring, kicking and general flexibility

[and occassionally trying to convince PSBN to include more grappling in class... I'm sure herbo wouldn't mind some more too :D]

17. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

Body conditioning, trying to get back into shape.

And tracking down resources to refresh my previous training, prior to actually engaging in new training. It's a long road.

Yesterday I did Ki Cho Hyung three times in a row and thought I was going to die.

18. KSW CANADA

KSW CANADA Valued Member

My goals and focus change all the time.
    Right now its learning preasure point names and locations, as well as using them in techniques and general application.

also hand, wrist and forearm strength, which will help me with my techniques as well

19. ember

ember Valued Member

Baek Pahl Ki Hyung
    Trying to maintain memory on techniques
    Learning the last couple of sets I need to learn (currently Ee in jee ahp sool, but still have johk bahng uh sool to go.)
    Getting / maintaining cardio capacity in the face of seasonal allergies. Which haven't been bothering me nearly as much this week in Houston.
    Just staying in practice in general.