What is an Okinawan Sword?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by cam32, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cam32

cam32 New Member

hey all, I looked at the website for this Tae Kwon Do class i am considering and found that they offer weapons training in kama, bo staff, nunchaku, sai, and okinawan sword.

I think that is extremely cool, but what is an okinawan sword? Is it something they made up? I would like to find out what this item is so any info would be appreciated.

2. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Hmmmm ... The only time I have heard "Okinawan sword" was in connection with Rod Sacharnoski's Juko Kai group. Made up style with no Japanese connections. Of course, this place could be entirely different. :)

Why would a Tae Kwon Do place be teaching Okinawan weapons at all?

Just curious.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Because clueless white people think that all martial arts are karate :bang:
    The "stlye" of TKD I used to do was mainly marketed as karate for kids but was TKD but also "taught" okinawan weapons.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

From what I understand, Okinawa and the Ryukyu islands traditionally did not have much at all in the way of iron, and thus swords weren't really popular there. Combined with the fact that swords and spears and such were outlawed in Okinawa many centuries ago, there really isn't much in the way of Okinawan swordsmanship.

There is the Tinbei and Rochin (small sword and shield), however. From what I understand, that weapon combination was imported from China in the 19th century. That's probably what they're talking about.

5. cam32

cam32 New Member

I disagree, I went and checked out the class, and from what i have seen from other tae kwon do classes they stick to the art, I also found out the weapons training class isnt a tae kwon class. It is just held in the building. So no one knows what an okinawan sword is....hmm...

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

With all due respect, I think you're being led up the garden path a bit by this class.

Okinawa and the Ryukyu islands were occupied by the Shimazu han (Present day Kagoshima prefecture) in 1609. This domain had it's own system of swordsmanship called Jigen-ryu, which is very unique. According to some historical records, Jigen-ryu was still being taught in Okinawa as late as the early 1900's.

Motobu-ryu Udoundi also uses, katana, dao & jian, but these weapons, apart from the katana, have their origins in China.

I sincerely doubt that a Tae Kwon Do school would have affilliations with these two systems. Jigen-ryu is still taught in Kagoshima and has never branched out to other prefectures and Motobu-ryu Udoundi is only taught in Okinawa.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  7. cam32

cam32 New Member

well, i searched the internet and i have found several mentionings of an okinawan sword, but no pictures. I would like to know what they look like, so if anyone knows, please share.

8. Kogusoku

Please show your findings Cam.

9. Kogusoku

Cam,

I just had a thought that dawned on me - Could you be referring to the Rochin? In Okinawa/Ryukyu kobujutsu, the tinbe (Turtle shell shield) and Rochin (Short hand spear) are used in conjunction.

That's the only bladed weapon that can be considered even "sword-like".

[​IMG]

10. cam32

cam32 New Member

hehe, couldn't tell you. Go to google and search okinawan sword. A few links have okinawan sword mentioned.

11. Kogusoku

Couldn't tell? Does that mean you have forgotten or you just don't want to discuss it?

12. cam32

cam32 New Member

what? I found a link for a guy who does martial arts videos where an okinawan sword is mentioned, and i think a forum. If it is so important to you all you have to do is simply search okinawan sword on google and look a little.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That's funny. You start the thread asking about this 'Okinawan sword' and then can't be bothered to post the relevant link. :bang:

14. cam32

cam32 New Member

What a nice guy..... anyways, the reason i cant post a link is because the okinawan sword is only mentioned under the link on google. I dont even know if its a relevant source.

15. Kogusoku

You ask, we try to seriously help you and then you can't be bothered. Should we even be bothered to continue on with this thread?

16. cam32

cam32 New Member

I told you how to find it and yet you are still confused. please explain so i can help. I do want info, im not shunning help, just those who dont understand my directions.

17. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Well, if your sword training doesn't include the Crazy Granny Technique, it's a good indicator you're not doing Jigen-ryu kenjutsu. That I can tell you.

18. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

Link. The only reference to Okinawan sword specifically on the net.

/b/

19. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Hey Steve,
    Motobu ryu was the name I heard bandied about by the Juko-Kai people. I somehow can't believe anything from that bunch would be genuine though. :)

20. Kogusoku

No, I was referring to the group in Okinawa that was until recently headed by the late Uehara Seikichi. Absolutely nothing to do with the Juko-Lies (Whoops! Hey, remember they tried to affiliate themselves with Hontai Yoshin-ryu jujutsu as well, in Himeji, Japan, but that got blown out of the water too.)

Here's the late master I was referring to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He refused to follow conventions and would often wear slacks and braces over his keiko gi, topped off with gloves and a straw hat. This didn't detract from his actual abilities as the headmaster of a Ryukyu tradition.

It was very interesting seeing him demonstrate at the yearly Nippon Budokan kobudo embu, where most of the Japanese koryu people would wear hakama (Including my lot) , tabi & montsuki and then you'd have Uehara Seikichi sensei totter onto the mats with a sombrero on, and a pair of slacks and braces on.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005