What is a good combat knife

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by johnny kampilan, Oct 21, 2003.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

like the one i had made.

2. Anvilfire

Anvilfire Valued Member

I still like the model 1 with stack leather handle or a Loveless (BIGBEAR) also one of my Bowies :cool:

3. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Got a photo shootdog ???

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I don't have any knives, cant see the need for them:rolleyes:

5. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

The bainet is the best combat knife because its attached to the end of a rifle. :D No but seriously im a fan of fixed blade knives personaly I have buck knive with a six inch blade thats my favorite it feels and weighs about the same as my trainer.

6. shootodog

you mean officially don't you?

then again pinutes aren't knives are they?

actually it's a test run. am intending to have it produced in limited numbers then sell them to fma'ers. until then, i was advised by my partner not to post any pic.

7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Good Idea, look forward to when they're ready.

8. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Ditto, Let us know how it goes :D

9. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

knife?? you call that a knife???

Hi,
    I carry a spyderco terzoula or a smith and wesson.
    Im thinking of going to something different like a timberline greg lightfoot pistol grip or backup zambezi folder model. folders are easily concealed and if its good stuff you dont have to worry about it breaking on you.
    In terms of fixed blade...I think the recon tanto from cold steel, almost typed stool, or the boker applegate-fairbairn model or a smaller version of the same model.
    Gord

10. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello Everyone,

Lot's of things to consider when you decide to choose a carry knife. (all legalities aside here)

1) Are you able to carry a fixed blade or folder every day?
    2) Is it concealable?
    3) Is it accessible?
    4) Is it in your budget?!!!
    5) Is it for multi purposes (box cutting, etc)? Pulling out your fixed blade to open a box may create some concerns around you!!
    6) Is it a name brand? (quality issues)
    7) Lock type? (if folder)

After you decide, I would suggest some testing of the blade in various cutting situations. If it is a folder be advised that the locking mechanisms often fail in a cheap blade. Especially during a thrusting motion, your fingers wrapped around some handles may actually hit the locking mechanisms, so your blade will close on your fingers!

A few Manufacturers:

Spyderco
    Gerber
    Strider
    Cold Steel
    Buck
    Smith and Wesson
    Bokker
    Benchmade
    MicroTech

There are so many to choose from!

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Ah!:D I like any knife that goes in:eek: , Actually I have a lovely Spanish knife that was givent to me in Albacete, Spain. This area is to knives what Tolledo is to swords. It fits nicley along the shaft of my arm. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the knife though?

Mmmm! Interesting. Let me start by saying "Would you like a San Miguel":D

regards

Pat

12. shootodog

navaje or navaja.

mmmm...san mig... maybe just one...

13. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

As one of the partners, I was one of those who advised ( :woo: :bang: ) shootodog to keep it underwraps until we come out with the production models. Remember shooto, 'omerta!!!' For all those interested, it will be worth the wait.

14. shootodog

yes don diego.

15. RFWright

RFWright New Member

My favorite... Boker's Applegate Fairbairn AF-11
    Time tested and proven.

16. John J

John J Valued Member

This is a topic I’ve seen quite too often. Rather than make all these suggestions, we should consider the individuals experience and purpose for carrying.

I read a post on another forum that started out by saying, “I just started Kali and was wondering what kind of knife I should carry”. “Everyone of course, gave their picks and more without taking into consideration the lack of experience this person clearly had. Sure, carry this and that knife so that when you are faced with what you consider a life or death situation, you pull it, kill the guy and end up in jail. And worse off the guy manages to get your weapon and you’re dead. This is not to imply that johnny kampilan does not have the skill because skill has nothing to do with using or drawing for that matter. It is mental preparation.

Just something else to think about.

Yours in the Arts,

John J
    www.swacom.com

17. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

IMHO..

depends on a number of factors

Concealment - will it be a daily carry of something to take on hunting trips? Weight, size and design will come into play here

Military or civilian - If you're in the military, then your needs will obviously differ from the typical civilian, even one trained in FMA. Not a lot of opportunities for civilians to take out sentries :)

Personally, I prefer a fixed blade for concealment. I'd hate to have to fumble to open the knife when I'm pressed, really REALLY pressed for time.

For a hunting and possible combat knife, I would prefer the following features:

a little heavy but well balance
    a blunt metal pommel for punyo
    a hilt that allow me to put a thumb over it yet prevents my hand from sliding onto the blade
    a double edged blade, with serrations on the other side.
    Not to long a blade. Hardly matters if the blade that entered your kidneys is 6 or 7 inches :)

I like the Japanese tanto design. It puts more blade metal onto the tip, as compared to other blade designs. That improves on the strength of the tip and the design holds an edge quite well.

just my 2 cents..