What is a good combat knife

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by johnny kampilan, Oct 21, 2003.

1. johnny kampilan

johnny kampilan New Member

ive been searching and searching, but there are too many in the market, so i wanted your opinion as to what is a good fighting knife

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I guess it really comes down to what you are looking for in the blade as far as size, design, what kind of tip, grip......

I personally like medium size folders.(actual blade is no longer than 4 inches.) Although there are many non-folders I would like as well. I like the tips to have a Tanto tip. It really does not make a difference to me if the blade is serrated.

I look for a good grip when buying knives. I don't want a knife with a too wide of a grip or too narrow.

Right now I have a couple of CKRT tactical folders and a couple of COLD STEEL folders. I'm currently 'window shopping' for some karambit's, for training (non sharpened and sharpened).
    The prices are a little high for the sharpened ones.

:)

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

get one that has a good design. maybe a tanto or that knife based on a barong. make sure to get one with good quality steel. get one with a good edge and a thick enough spine. make sure the grip fits your hand well and does not slip.

in the end, it's how the knife is to you.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

There can be only one...

Randal Model 14

5. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

6. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

7. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

a sharp one.

8. YODA

Some nice knives about these days - real cool looking designs and space-age construction.

BUT - call me old fashioned - the afformentioned Randal Model 14 Attack just does it :D

9. johnny kampilan

johnny kampilan New Member

who makes the best fighting folder, i hear smith and wesson are good.

10. YODA

Benchmade make some good folders - their ballisongs are awsome too.

11. shootodog

crkt's k.i.s.s. and stiff k.i.s.s. comes to mind. also get yourself a good ol' tanto from cold steel.

12. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Cold Steel Tanto is the dogs, especially the magnum tanto which i happen to own, and the benchmade bali, of which i have 2!!!

For functional folders it has to be the bali for the security of the blade whilst open, liner locks second to that i wouldnt personally trust any spine lock for any kind of thrusting technique.

For the fixed blade i do like the magnum tanto, the 3 folded steel seriously razor sharp and edge holding qualities also if you've seen the video of em testing em , awesome!!!

13. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

"Kung-fu nut in illegal butterfly knife stash horror!" :D

14. YODA

..... and a copper too! Disgraceful!

15. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Possibly a complete 'cycle-path' in my opinion.

16. krys

krys Valued Member

Idealy for fighting a sharp double edged dagger.... it is more difficult to disarm than a single edged knive, and you don't need to worry on the side of he blade...

But it is dangerous to get used to a specific type of knive.... chances are you may not have your favorite toy on you when it is needed... I like to train with different knives of different sizes and shapes....

17. shinobi2002

shinobi2002 New Member

Maybe im wrong but buck knives are well known for use in military etc, so i guess they are good

18. shootodog

a lemery made 29 balisong or a good old bolo

19. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Some companies will send you a free DVD of their knifes in action. So you can see them test cutting, durability tests, using it on various materials(ie, meat, leather, rope, ect). That way you know what your buying. Coldsteel I know will send you a free DVD if you email them.

Shootodog, knife based on the barong? :confused:

20. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

COLD STEEL Desperado, Hissatsu, or Recon Tanto

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005