What have you done in 2008 that your proud of?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by g-bells, Dec 27, 2008.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

was'nt sure where to put this so i put it here.

Ok, so over the past year what have you done that makes you feel proud?

This past year my business has doubled in size, i own a landscaping business. I have one customer whose lawn i've been cutting for 3 years now, well last year her husband died of cancer. he was a Korean and Vietnam vet. When i contacted her early this past spring about my continuing to do her work she stated that she wanted to but she still had'nt recieved her widow's pension and was'nt sure how she could pay for it.I told her i'll do it and she could pay when and if she could.Spring,summer and fall went by and stil no widow's pay.She feels so obligated to pay me but i told her not to worry about it cause i feel it's the least i could do for what her husband had did for my/his/her country and for her being there for him through all of it

not looking to be praised or anything like that, just want to see how others give back when and how they can

Anybody?

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Dang, good for you bud!!! Glad to see your business has double given the economic recession and all. Also cheers for giving back to your customer in light of all that is happening to our country. Glad to see there are good people like you out there ;)

Psst, by the way, Merry Be-lated Christmas and a Happy New Year to you :D

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Thanks Pac for the holiday wishes and the same back to you, just by doing it made me feel good so thats all i needed, how have u been?

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Bells

you having a "Back to the future moment ?""

2208 ??

Smurf:):):)

5. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

hmm...I've become popular with the ladies now :) now i'm proud of that!

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Bells thats sweet.

A guy i work with is from africa, he cant speak or write english all that good and ive helped him with letters, job applications and writing saucy text txt messeges to girls (which i think he wont ask me anymore as he hasnt 'got lucky' yet!) It does feel good to help people, but its even better when you just do it off the spot when they ask, because it means when you do help them its usually for the want of nothing in return.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I was gonna make a snarky time-travel comment too, but in the end my good self got the better of my bad self and I amended the thread title for ya. :)

That's great story g-bells. It's all the little things in life that make the big difference. :)

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I spent much of the summer working to help a friend set a new business without charging him. Even managed to rope the family in. He's a good guy and deserved the help so it's all good.
    You picked a good year for this thread I'm not normally quite so nice. I think as you get older the 'picture' gets bigger and helping folk gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside, it's a nice feeling.

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Been good, but busy and busy, but good :eek: :p

Here's to a fine 2009.....busta rhyme............:cool::hat::evil:

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Think this pales in to comparison with some of the stories on here, but I got a degree and started an MA this year, and got accepted on to a PhD course.

Happy end of 2008 everyone

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

All the best and good luck with the PhD. Loads to be proud of there mate.

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Thanks very much :)

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm
    1) quit kung fu
    2) started maa
    3) started muay thai
    4) raised over £300 for Christies cancer hospital by doing a 60 mile bike race- it was mainly thanks to you guys!
    5) took on another art gallery which opens in 09!

Busy but interesting year, I have pushed myself with my training this year and hope to compete in both a grappling comp and muay thai inter club in 09 :D

15. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Sounds like you've been busy Su LIn, my acheivement was getting my 1st Dan in May (took me long enough). Bad points were dislocating my toes and fracturing my ribs.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

True,it has been a busy year! If someone had told me I would have quit kung fu and taken up mma/mt this time last year I would have laughed at them :D

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Great stories, and ity does'nt matter how big but just the fact that one helps out another IMHO

Thanks fishy

Attached Files:

• 6WD.jpg
      6WD.jpg
      File size:
      3.6 KB
      Views:
    • 9ctd.jpg
      9ctd.jpg
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Making huge steps forward with an austistic student. He's learned more since joining my school than he did in years of private tutoring. Things like spelling, alphabet, address, phone number, etc....

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

starting bjj!!!!!! seriously the two things im chuffed about this year is how much ive tried to expand my knowledge of MA and getting two of my GCSE done

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Moved in with my girlfriend, got out of the red on my bank statements, received my PhD, failed my black belt but made a respectable stab at it.

Happy 2009 y'all!