What exactly is "sombrada"

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by hkd_instructor, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hkd_instructor

hkd_instructor Valued Member

Hi folks,

I'm training with a Vunak instructor who was showing me some sombrada yesterday - we were working with knives and also some "chi-sao" where you guard the outside and draw the attacker into the middle.

Anybody know what sombrada is, exactly? I know, I could ask him, but I feel stupid :)

It's going to play an intrical part in my HKD training, for sure!

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,

It is in some systems and not in others.

http://fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=617

This location is a good one to go to, for they discuss it.

It is taught in the Cabalas system.

It is a set of blocks and strikes that is prearrainged and is good for give and take. They are taught to hit the stick, it helps some and hinders others.

A. Ilustrisimo was not into this type of training. I believe.

It is similar to the system of hitting the attacking hand or arm or stick as a defense. Some teach different, by ignoring the attack and doing what it takes to counter, and attack without acknowledging the weapon...By using foot work rather than the hand. It is all good if you are looking to be well rounded.

If an instructor is teaching it, you will want to learn it, for it is what they think is important. Just a piece of the whole.

It is also used to teach, to grade, to complete, to get rank. One of the rungs on the ladder to get to the top. :)

Regards,
    Gary

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I have a friend who takes JKD under a Larry Hartsell instructor, and they do sombrado (SP?) when rolling as well as with sticks.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Sumbrada

Hi,
    Since the spelling has been questioned by another I will say it is spelled differenet.

The word will be addressed by others I am figuring. The spelling also. I knew what you are asking and decided to post what I did even if it was mispelled.

The term really refers to a drill or a flow drill, if you prefer...It is an umbrella or a form of shade. Or shadow. But in the context it is being used it is a drill that is prearranged. Can be any drill if you so desire.
    But in some arts it is very specific and starts with a number one from the top blocked by an umbrella defense and goes from there to many different strikes.

It can be any strike that is called out and then it goes into the flow that follows. It is not something you will learn until you have the basics down pat.
    The strikes and blocks are important, I believe more important than this drill MHO...

Regards,
    Gary

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it's been discussed in detail in another thread somewhere here. pls use your search button.

you'll get results like this and this from map.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  6. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Sumbrada,an upward block like shading to protect eyes from the rays of the sunlight.

7. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

Sumbrada is different in different systems. When I was training with my first JKD instructor who was under Guro Dan and Guro Lucaylucay he always had us do drills that he called "Sumbrada" so we could work our different foot work and checking hand. Under him "Sumbrada" was a "counter for counter" drill. One person would throw a vertical strike and you would do a roof block and feed back and a high diagonal strike then they would block and feed back another attack and so on. I have also trained with Guro Hartsell for many many years and can tell you that he teaches alot of flow drills. In some systems the word sumbrada simply means roof block. Like I said it depends on who you are training with and in what system you are training.

8. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

Sumbrada lit. means ' shadow or shade '.

Vince
    aka BLack Grass

9. Tim McFatridge

Thanks Black Grass...I have heard that definition before but was not sure if it was the same in all systems. Of all the people I have trained with I have only heard one person use that definition. He used it to describe an "Umbrella" block which some of my other intructors called a roof block. Thanks for making that clear for me.

Tim

10. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

In Ilustrisimo there are at least 4 defenses that some might define as a roof block:

- Sumbrada/Sombrada - where the stick is point down diagonally (like the pitched roof line of a house) and the stick rises ups up, both from an opened and closed postion

- Crossada - where the stick is parrel to the ground and travels horizontally, both from an opened and closed postion

- Vertical - where the stick is point down almost straight down

- Boca del Lobo - where the stick is point down diagonally and travels around the head

I find that most JKD Kali people use the term sombrada to define any counter for counter drill, even outside the standard 10, 6 and punyo. When I teach I use the term Sumbrada drill in reference to these drills only.

I would say Lameco probably has to most number of counter for counter drills, called Laban Laro ( lit. Fight Play or 'play fight').

There are laban laro drills in Ilustrisimo although the main drill used is Cuantro Cantos, which is a drill somewhere best defined as inbetween what JKD Kali people call Sumbrada and Numerado.

Guro Dan does teach a similar drill called, the Ilustrisimo Drill, which comes from Regino Ilustrisimo ( spelled Elustrisimo in Guro Dan's book), but it is done differently than Cuantro Cantos from Kali(s) Ilustrisimo of Antonio "Tatang" Ilustrisimo.

Vince
    aka Black Grass
    Bakbakan International
    Kali Ilustrisimo USA
    PFS - JKD Family

11. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

We used sumbradas in Pekiti Tirsia... we used them as flow drills to get people more rapidly used to moving from the striking ranges, from only weapon to weapon contact to something that was almost closer than wing chun chi sao!

I thought of it as a way to get the body to relax and more efficiently react to attacks against you.

12. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

In old times they used the terms for shading ,hidden meaning is to protect yourself from any strike or a block .And the counter to counter or sometimes numbering strike they called it Kabisedario.MABUHAY

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

What language (tribe) is that kalislash?

Gary

14. Tim McFatridge

Black Grass, it was my LAMECO instructor where I first heard the definition for sumbrada (to shade). Larry Hartsell uses the same definition since he is an instructor in LAMECO under the late Punong Guro Edgar Sulite. You are correct my first JKD instructor used the term sumbrada to describe counter for counter drills. The late Guro Ted Lucaylucay would show the same four variations of the "roof block" that you described earlier. This is probably because he trained with Illustrimo when he was younger as did his dad. He used to explain it to you like you were making a door frame. Man I miss training with him....

Great post guys...!

Tim

15. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

sumbrada

as far as i am aware it means counter 4 counter and is applied to drills such as box pattern and tres tres :D

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I'd say that is one of the reason's, to Flow with the go, or the other way around ;)

It is an umbrella defense that it started with where I am at. But it can go all over like is mentioned, a box defense...top-bottom-and both sides. Most definitly a drill of sorts, now.

Gary

17. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

We,used umbrella to protect us from the rain and the heat of the sun in P.I. and to Bgille, This come from the tribe of AL OMBRA :D