What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. zeno

zeno Valued Member

"ai-ya"

yea....seems a little weird since chinese people tend to say that when frustrated. I find this kiai have one extra use. If I'm not doing it right, someone around me WILL laugh for the reason mentioned. But if it's a true kiai you'll never see anyone laugh.

2. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

I like schools that mix like a dozen styles and call it something like zen karate-jitsu do. I love those guys @open tourneys. Since its an open tourney, the judges are gonna go with the best and usually flashiest form.... so if ur in Shotokan (me) you will inevitably lose to the little guy in the corner who does wushu. But students from the amalgamation schools (no offense) seem to think that its the loudest kata that wins. every 2nd move there is an "AIEEEEE" or "kOni@wA" or a good loud "gurgle... pop". I also loose because I am like mentally incapable of yelling. At the beinning of the forms, howw ur supposed to be all confident, and loud, and pretentious.... yeah, i suck at that. I'm like 6'7", black, with dreadlocks and a mormon type beard, who CANNOT YELL...... but apparently I can type quite loudly :D

3. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

You can't scream yell 'kiai' .. it brakes your kime
    they would do better scream 'SCCCRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAM' because then you would not losen up your kime.

4. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

For sharp strikes, a simple "Kya!' suffices. Kicks or power punches, it's: HhhhyaaaaaAAA! In competition, I just breathe very hard; the power boost is still there, and the pointless screaming is rendered obsolete.

5. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

It's really hard for me to explain the sound in text. I have a very loud and deep Key-eye. I exhale very hard.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :d

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

When im doing bag work i just sort of grunt with attitude. Like im Really trying. Sometimes i dont realize im doing it.
    When actually asked to physically Kiai without an action, i dont know what id do, oosssss (being an ex-kyokushinker)

8. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

when i used to 'kiai' in tkd i would clearly shout, "Kill!" :yeleyes: i was the instructor so noone said anything.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think next time i go to a kung fu/karate place im going to have to try that. imagine the looks when everyone else goes "oos" and someone screams out HADOUKEN!!

10. Gasg

Gasg Valued Member

COWABUNGA!

sorry. It HAD to be said :D

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

It would be even cooler if you shot out blue flames.

12. mhyst

mhyst New Member

HITE but growl-y lol. when i first started training i hated kiaiing, don't mind it now though

13. GojuMaster

GojuMaster New Member

Proper Kiai requires proper Kiai training. One must not assume that shouting has anything to do with the power of Ki.
    People who shouts "kiaiiiii" are only saying "yell" in Japanese and quite frankly it sounds ridiculous.
    There's no "letters" in Kiai like: aaarrrrrrrrrrrg! "eeeeeeeza" "kiaii", in fact, proper Kiai sounds more like an explosion of air coming from your Hara (stomach).
    The principle is simple: you fill a balloon with air and then suddenly you blast it. Kiai is the same...but you do the "blasting" with the muscles of your stomach acting as a smashing force. Your mouth should be wide open and at no time should you use the larinx to make funny noises.
    As I said, proper Kiai requires PROPER training, and you may damage yourselves badly if for reasons beyond your capacity, you want to make a loud noise that perhaps could "scare" the audience. I have known of many who have lost their vocal chords by being silly, so...beware!

Gassho!

14. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

isn't the point of a Kiai, to sort of get pumped, so why does it matter to you or anyone else how someones Kiai sounds like, i would surely enough shout YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLK, if it got me pumped

15. LightFury

LightFury creator of my own world

at the dojo i train at, there are a range of noises that come out

i have heard hadouken used hehe

but the most common kiai i hear is people just shouting DIE! (probly came from one of our brown belts who shouts die.)

i kinda cant describe my kiai as letters but it comes from deep and is kinda like oomph heh

16. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Theres always one isnt there.....

17. Small Dog

Small Dog Valued Member

Yea there really is a whole school of thought on kiais, and a slew of sounds people can make for effect

my lil ol' kia sadly sounds similar to jin's in tekken 4

that and, a "e-SUH" say e, spit out suh

its like that one guy said, gojumaster, youve gotta pump the air out fast and hard, and you've gotta know how to because if youd ont you'll mess yourself up in a fight/sound idiotic

hahahah, i like how i said you could sound idiotic after i admitted mine sounds like a videogame character :bang:

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Why kiai in a fight? It is much more practical to just blow your air out, because if you kiai, you still breathe in a little bit, and if your hit when your breathe in, you could get the wind knocked out of you. As opposed to just blowing your air out, which hardens the body.

19. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Because it scares people when you yell at them like that...shock value, and it makes you seem kinda crazy. Which is why I go "BAAAAAAAH!"...like a sheep :D

20. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

ROFL cownose! that was great :D

I don't really have a kiai anymore used to but then after I gotten into 4 fights (in my life) I realized its not that important. Besides I scare people already with my psychotic personality :yeleyes: