What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Flying Shadow

Flying Shadow New Member

When I started training it was some thing like this: HAAAAR!!!!

But now it sound like this: (winding up) AHHH... (letting it rip) SAAAAAA!!!!

Or when I'm really pumped: IIIISSSSSSSSSS.. SAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

So in my dojo you'll hear some idiot going: Ahhh SAAAH... Ahhh SAAAH Ahhh SAAAH (like the pony tail dude in karate kid III) and then IIIISSSSSSSSSSS SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I made a baby in the audience cry once whilst doing heian yodan.

What does your Kiai sound like?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

3. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

"SHORYUOKEN" or "YOGA FIRE"

4. Flying Shadow

Flying Shadow New Member

I mean real Kiais.

5. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Sort of like a long scream, but then lower: HHRRAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
    When we do kata's it's like HHRRAAAAAIIIIII! and HRHOOOOOOHHHH!

6. Flying Shadow

Flying Shadow New Member

Actually there's this guy from our "sister" dojo who comes over to our classes sometimes and when he does his kata and comes to a kiai point he screams:

SEEEEEEEEAAAATTT!!!!!! (just like how you'd say the thing your sitting on right now)

It takes all my strength and will power to hold back my snickering and school girlish giggles.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Humpthd

Braka Braka Braka

8. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Some peeps just literally scream "Kiaaai!". In my opinion, the word kiai as a kiai in itself isn't really handy if you want to use your lungs at their best.

9. Flying Shadow

Flying Shadow New Member

Please stop destroying my thread.

10. Flying Shadow

Flying Shadow New Member

Was talking about semphoon not you MuayKiDo in the last post.

But yeah same at my dojo we're first taught to shout "Kiai" which means shout in japanese anyway. Felt unnatural so I dropped it.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Some people at my club do that as well. :D

Kiai is the name of the sound - not the actual sound you make.

Like whistling. The name of the sound is 'whistle'. If you are asked to whistle, you make a whistling sound, you don't say "Whistle". :D

Mine is more like a "EEEEEEEEEEEE"

Cheers. :)

12. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

When doing aikido kata's with buki (weapons) we use a different kiai for the 'finishing strike'. So we build up our attack with shorter kiais (like the HRAAAI and HROOOH ones and end with one, long personal kiai. I think this last one is made extra powerfull to enable you to pierce your uke's armour.

I was following some TKD classes at my old dojo and one guy had to make a kiai with a simlar purpose, to end his pomse (or whatever the Korean word for kata is). It sounded more like he was throwing up to me! It was soooo funny, the younger students were mocking him, punching themselves in their stomach and then making a similair kiai. Honestly, his kiai DID sound like he was being punched in the stomach! Sumthing like: 'Uuaaalghh'. :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  13. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

People confuse the sound of a Kiai with a Kiai. The sound is the result of the Kiai; it means spirit shout, Ki-ai. It should definitely be from the Hara, I hear all kinds of people making sounds from their throat, I have been told that this is incorrect and detrimental to it’s effectiveness.

14. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Word. My sensei teaches us to growl a little, and build up your kiai from your hara. My Hrrrraaaaaaaahhhh kiai enables this build up, so I am sticking with it. It feels natural, not forced and seems to do what it is supposed to do. :)

15. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I've experimented with "Kia!", "Yia!", "Hya!" and "See!". I like "Hya!" best.

16. tommy

tommy New Member

I use different sounds for different situations.

Soemtimes it sounds like ... SEEAH
    sometimes: EEESHA

17. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

WHO'SYERDADDY!!! :eek:

Rob ;)

18. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

LOVE IT! I can't wait to see my Sensei's face!

19. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Mine's kind of like "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIII!" I used to vocalise (I won't use the term "sing") for a really bad death metal band so I've got a pretty good roar on me. When we do linework at the dojo, I literally drown the rest of the class out with my kiai. Other than that, I like "Hadouken" when sparring my instructor - he laughs so much I manage to get a couple of hits in

20. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

The sound of kiai

Hmm .. this is wicked thread...

Mine would sound something like: "hjAAARR" or " HMMMRRr"
    and the long ones in katas sound like "aaaaaaAAAARRRRrrrrr"

I hate when my students say "kiiiiiaaaaaiiii" ..
    It's brakes the kime (breathing) with double sound.

But one of the best kata performer in our club is a Girl wich screams

"aaaiiiiiib" ... realy weak even though here techiniques are strong.

Not a fearsome sound.