what do you think of street fighting weapons?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by JLD Boy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. JLD Boy

JLD Boy New Member

Heres a little quiz that I need answers for that will help me for the weapons oral I am doing at school!

1. Which of the following weapons would you use in a fight if you could choose from:
    - Nunchaku
    - Sai
    - 3 sectional staff
    - Brass Knuckles/Knuckle dusters
    - Butterfly knives

2. What your opinion is on the laws against these weapons

3. which do you think you can conseal on your body and how would you conceal them?

4. How many and which ones could you conceal at the same time?

5. Have you ever used any of these weapons in combat on the streets when you were in a confrontational situation?

6. Which weapon would you most like to excel in:
    - Nunchaku
    - Sai
    - 3 sectional staff
    - Butterfly knives

7. Which weapon do you currently train with or have trained with?
    - Nunchaku
    - Sai
    - 3 sectional staff
    - Butterfly knives

Cheers!
    And if you have any good info on any of these 5 weapons please send any links or info to my email address scrad_lenz@hotmail.com

2. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

Honestly, I don't think I would use any of those weapons on the street. They could really hurt or even kill. The laws on the weapons are both good and bad. If your trained in the area its ok to own something which you will use wisely and not for attack. in the the real training purpose, the ban is bad. In the other sense it is good keeping deadly weapons out of the unfamiliar hands. Really, these weapons are not useful in a real fight. In a real fight, best weapon is the mind. In real danger, if neccesary the body is the next weapon. I have trained in the nunchucks and staff.

3. SOLID

SOLID Banned Banned

If I had the time to select a weapon I'd use that time to escape, run, run, go go go.

4. never

never Registered Hero

Using weapons in a fight against someone on the street is a dodgy subject. If they have a weapon, then why shouldn't you be able to use one? Firstly, why would you be carring, for example, butterfly knifes, in the first place? the police would think that you carried them with intent to use. Secondly, chances are that you know how to use the weapon that you carry, so you would be more skilled with it, but also more deadly, don't forget, accidents can always happen.

So, in answer to one (maybe) of your questions, I wouldn't carry a weapon in the first place, its just inviting trouble.

Also, if you are a martial artist (of almost any style) you might be able to dsarm them in the first place, depeding on their numbers.
    We learn how to take on a knife armed opponent a couple of grades after starting. But on the whole, get out of the situation, or just try not to get into it in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  5. X51

X51 New Member

If you’re talking about street fighting weapons add ‘Screwdriver’ to that list and ‘trolley pole’. There the most common and effective things found that are still easy to conceal. Personally from that list I would choose a butterfly knife, very easy to conceal.

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Are kobutons(sp?) legal?

7. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

1. Sai, Butterfly Knife, Brass Knucks
    2. It is everyones responsibility to ensure that no harm befalls their body. If the law would hinder the ability to do so it is unjust and should be ignored.
    3. The sai could be placed in my right boot, the butterfly knife between the folds of my wallet, the Knucks in a jacket pocket, the nunchaku folded and tucked behind the small of the back into jeans.
    4. You could conceal all at the same time exept the three section staff
    5. I disarmed a butterfly knife and stabbed a man with his own weapon
    6. Butterfly knife
    7. Knife & Sai- I took Arnis/Eskrima.

8. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope i don't just speak for me here when i say u are a nut job.
    This is just like the peoplein The U.S. who say u should be able to carry a gun to take out the few nutters (who are probably alot like you) who go nuts with a samurai sword.WTF?
    Don't u think that will increase violence on the streets.
    It's like how in america u have alot easier acces to guns.U CAN GET THEM WHEN OPENING UP A BANK ACOUNT OVER THERE.!
    It's ment to be so u can protect ur self.But i fguns wern't so easily availabe, that sort of stuff woldn't happen.

9. Guerilla Fists

Open up your eyes, the world is a violent and rough place. Because I believe in the inalienable right for every citizen to protect and arm themselves that makes me a nut job? You must be an extremely misguided individual to believe such a thing, that or you were sheltered by your parents who wiped your ass and put you into perochial school so you would grow up with a candy-ass sugar-coated outlook on what is a brutally vicious world. Go smoke your dope hippie.

10. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

LOL.
    I think that yes America is alot scarier than britain in terms of gun crime.Or just crime.but that's down to many factors.One of which are people like you.
    The feeling that u must have a wepon on the street to protect urself is nuts.Becasue thy're so freely avaible and U carry tehm on the streets othcourse otherpeople are.BUt unfortunatly u believe that every citizen should be able to protect themselves.SO this means that the reall wackos.And i'm not talking about you.I mean the REAL wackos by ur logic should beable to carry brutal wepons on the stfreet.
    hmmmmmmmmmmm.Bit of a predicament there.

I think that britain is alot less violent than america (on the whole).Belive me i've been fights.I live in a samml town so othcourse none of them involved knifes.BUt in cities.They do.

I think it's a different in culture.Look at detroit and.......lol......that candian city across form it.Why does the candian city not have such hi murder/crime rates?ecasue of a difference in culture.A more sort of laid back comunity where every body keeps there doors open.They have speed bumps on the news.
    Where as ifu go to detroi (i think it's detroit just acroos from it), thees huge amounts of crime.
    Everyones afraid to go out.They think there protecting thmselves wheras brittish people (well me ay way ) would see it as there barricading them selfs in.What do they show on the news?Murder.Crime?When crimes comitted by black males fell almost 30% coverage on the news went up 600%

Sorry went off on a tangent there.Believe me i haven't been sheltered.I just wanted to ilustrate that america and briatin are two very different countries.NOt that i don't like america just woudn't want to live there myself(in certain places)

You probably did grow up in a rougher neighbourhood than me.Fine.Frankly i don't care.U dont seem to realise that it's the very mentalit of poeple like you that cause that sort of violence.

Oh yeh kbutons (sp?) are they legal.There about5 or six inches long .Very hard.Quite thick.And are nasty for striking, locks etc.NOt that i want one.Just wondered
    ?

11. Guerilla Fists

Sub Zero,
    I see where our misunderstanding is. I am in no way advocating that a person MUST carry a weapon. But I do believe every citizen should have the option to protect themselves.
    Furthermore, how does my mentality promote violence? Because I believe I should have the option to carry a deadly weapon that I have trained in how to use effectively and responsibily?
    How would you like it if the Parliament or whatever you have over the Atlantic revoked your right to carry a thesaurus or dictionary on the street? In the event of a drive by argument (which is porbably the worst thing you have over there) you would be totally screwed.
    Nah but I'm just joking with you Subz. If you don't feel the need to be armed then by all means go ahead.
    What is right for one man may not be right for the other. I will concede the point that it does allow other poeple who are truly whacked out to become more destructive but at the same time a law in place would not necessarily deter them.
    Peace,

12. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

lol.I think you'l be able to tell by my posts that i can't even spell thesaurus.wo hoo i just did.

Any way.Othcourse u have the right to feel that you should be armed in the street and for you to express that opinion.
    I didn't thik that every citizen MUST have a wepon.However, if every citizen on the street had the right to, the average person would think "hmm loads of people now have wepons out on the street, i should get one to protect myself."So by the very inacting of a law (if it happened) designed to increase personal safety would infact increase the chances of an individual being attacked.And not just with bare hands.With brutal wepons.People would become more scared.

The area of possesing a brutal wepon on the street would no longer exist.Also, the area of being attacked with a brutal wepon would become an incredibly grey area in the law.Who was the victim?If bowth of them had wepons one could easily lie.What is excessive force with a brutal wepon (which could very easily kill someone)

See what i mean.

13. Guerilla Fists

Suppose we agree that a citizen desiring to carry a deadly weapon should first take classes on how to use that weapon responsibly and upon completion woud receive a license? Sounds like a sane compromise to me.
    Good discussion btw.

L8,

14. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

hmmmm.
    Yeh good discusion.Thanks.
    Not sure if i agree with you about that liscence thing.But i suppose lets agree to disagree.