What do you make of Goshin Atemi Jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Sandy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. beastrage

beastrage New Member

Deleted - please read the terms of service for this website.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Lets stop the personal attacks right now folks.

Mitch

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Agreed. I vote thread lock. This isn't going to go anywhere productive and we all know it.

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

The terms of service you agreed to when signing up prohibit profanity--even masked profanity. Please refrain from using such language in future.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The thread will stay open for discussion as is standard on MAP.

Anyone not obeying MAP's ToS will be subject to MOD action, as is standard on MAP.

It's easy folks, read the ToS and keep it civilised :)

Mitch

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm capable of having an intelligent conversation (well sometimes).

So if it is not judo and aikido etc then please tell us what exactly it is.

7. beastrage

beastrage New Member

Jujitsu vs Aikido

Two of the most popular martial arts originating in Japan are Aikido and Jujitsu. Both are close combat methods focused on the grappling category. They mainly employ throwing and striking techniques. Aikido and Jujitsu share the same roots in terms of philosophy. In fact, the latter would be an ancestor of the former. Their core essence is the ability to move from one technique to another to defend oneself. Their methods were developed around the principle of using an attacker’s energy against him, rather than directly opposing it. In spite of the notable similarity in philosophy, Aikido and Jujitsu came out to be very different with one another. Dissimilarities would include founding history, training style, techniques, level of lethality, and weapons.
    As mentioned, Jujitsu is older than Aikido practically by centuries. Varying theories would have their own accounts on the origins of Jujitsu, but most claim that it began during the 17th Century in Japan. One theory says that it was founded by three ‘ronin’- Fukuno Hichiroemon, Miura Yojiemon, and Isogai Jirozaemon with some mentoring from a Chinese man. Another theory claims that it was by a doctor named Akiyama Shirobei. Aikido, although younger, would have a more precise historical account. It was founded and developed by Osensei, Morihei Ueshiba in the latter years of 1920′s, who envisioned it as an expression of universal peace and reconciliation, more than a mere fusion of martial arts.
    In terms of training style, Jujitsu uses the principles of momentum based on opponent’s force, balance and leverage. Aikido, on the other hand, employs endurance, flexibility, and controlled relaxation. Pushing or extending movements are more frequently utilized than pulling or contracting movements. Both martial arts have less emphasis on strength training, thus classified as ‘soft’ art. They however require both physical and mental competencies as in just about all Japanese martial arts.
    Most Jujitsu schools puts stress on methods that lock joints more than anything else. This is by basically disrupting the opponent’s stability. In the process of reducing his balance significantly, he’ll be susceptible to being outdone by throws or take-downs. Sensibly, strikes are intended to land exposed and defenseless parts of the body. This serves as a crucial element in disrupting balance as a pre-requisite to more aggressive attacks such as throws and take-downs. In the same token, movements tend to capitalize on an attacker’s momentum and openings in order to place a joint in a compromised position or to break their balance as preparation for a take-down or throw. Furthermore, most jujitsu throws go in a straight line. Generally, it is more lethal than Aikido and was essentially used for combat back then. In Aikido, basic moves for attack include both strikes and grabs, while throws and pins would be for defense. Unlike in Jujitsu, throws in Aikido are based on circular movements. Some of the basics would be a series of throws, namely four-direction, entering, heaven-and-earth, figure-ten and rotary throws. Most of which highly rely on joint locks.
    Weaponry is one of the methods of combat in both Aikido and Jujitsu. Knife, weighted chain, helmet smasher, disguised weapons are some of those used in Jujitsu. Short staff, wooden sword and knife are used in Aikido.
    Summary

so jujitsu is older then aikido and judo as these were both watered down versions

saying jujitsu is a combination of the three you mentioned is wrong

8. beastrage

beastrage New Member

Judo was refined from the older Japanese martial art of jujutsu. It primarily involves grappling techniques like throws, pins, chokes and joint locks. It began in 1882 and eventually replaced jujutsu as it spread rapidly throughout Japan and then around the world. Judo arrived in Brazil where it was called jiu-jitsu by the Gracie family. Brazilian jiu-jitsu evolved separately from judo and now focuses primarily on the groundwork part of judo. It gained popularity with the introduction of the first UFC.

so as you see jujitsu is older then judo
    again you have it the wrong way around

now if you tell me what style of karate you are talking about

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

No , what he's saying is what you are calling Jujitsu is a mixture of Judo Aikido and Karate.

10. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

"Beastrage". Dude, you are really in the wrong place to be explaining what Aikido and Judo are, let alone Jujutsu (by the way, that's the correct spelling...). Mainly as almost everything you said is wrong, or at least, rather poorly informed. I mean, your whole idea of "jujutsu is older than Aikido, practically by centuries" shows a real lack of understanding of what Jujutsu (when referring to Japanese forms) is, and is like saying that boxing is older than Mike Tyson, and that Mike Tyson is older than Floyd Mayweather... in other words, which Jujutsu? It's older than Hakko Ryu Jujutsu, for instance, as well as Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu.... and a number of others.

I mean, if you want, I'm happy to go through your entire post there, and correct, well, practically every line of it.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No-one claimed that traditional jujutsu was a combination of the three arts. What they were saying (myself included) is that arts like the one talked about at great length in this thread and the WJJF are not traditional jujutsu. Rather they are an attempt to recreate jujutsu for a modern environment by recombining throws and joint locks from judo, movements and other locks from aikido and some striking from karate.

This makes a hybrid art much younger than any of the other three.

12. beastrage

beastrage New Member

Depending on how you look at it, Karatedo (or just karate), like Judo and Aikido, is also relatively new to Japan. Gichin Funakoshi (1868-1957), is the person generally credited with having introduced and popularized what we know as Okinawan Karate on the main islands of Japan. The official date given is 1936, but Funakoshi had been teaching in Japan for at least 15 years at that time.

Okinawa is the main island in a small group of islands about 500 miles south of Japan. Although subjugated by Japan around 1600, Okinawa remained fiercely independent. As Japan controlled it in name only, the nationalistic Japanese would never have considered Okinawans as truly Japanese. Therefore, anything Okinawan would have been considered inferior in the eyes of the Japanese. However, Funakoshi was able to accomplish what many before him had tried and failed. He publicized his system of Okinawan Karate and taught it openly in Japan, thus setting the basis for the blossoming of styles and schools which is characteristic of Japanese karate today.

Funakoshi had trained in two of the popular branches of Okinawan karate of the time, Shorin ryu and Shorei ryu. He was a student of Anko Itosu and Yasutsune Azato, who had worked to introduce karate to the Okinawa Prefectural School System in 1902. Funakoshi worked specifically to introduce modernizations into karate and to spread it to Japan.

just a generalization

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Please stop.

14. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Wow, seriously, know your audience. Who do you think you're educating here? And what does that have to do with anything? I mean, Karate was an introduced art to Japan, but Judo and Aikido are modern arts developed in Japan based on older Japanese arts... so what are you saying?

Oh, and your dates are out. Not by much, but they are.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Morning Beastrage.

You may want to look up jujutsu and how the traditional schools are transmitted.

The term jujutsu is a little generic and can encompass many styles, it's not a singular entity.

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

@beastrage

Are you just copying and pasting from somewhere else?

Just doesn't sound like your other posts.

How have you been studying something for so long and yet not know that those posts are so far off the mark.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who referred to his goshinjutsu as eg "I'm going to Jitsu tonight"....

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That site is amazingly terrible -

'' Do you want to learn a Traditional Japanese Martial Art that has not been modified to fit*only one*specific set of circumstances? If so, then you will want to learn more about the different forms of martial arts that have actually*continued to improve*over time. "Complete" martial arts have*all of the tools*necessary to be able to*evolve and adapt*with the times. Follow these links to learn more: Budoshin Schools *- Budoshin Jujitsu Schools (Dojo) are the very best martial arts schools you can find. These martial arts schools offer more than most jujitsu schools; they provide complete martial arts instruction. Kenpo *- Kenpo, also known as Kempo, ("fist law"), is a Japanese martial art using holds, throws and stunning blows, to subdue or disable an opponent. Combat Jujitsu *- Combat Jujitsu is used by US Military Special Operations Forces! It is the deadliest martial art known to man, and would certainly be classified in the category of Extreme Martial Arts.''

19. beastrage

beastrage New Member

you guys are funny of course i copy and pasted it you think i give a hoot about traditional or modern or wast my time studying were it comes from or who invented it
    all i care about is if it works il use it if it dont i wont

i also say to people im going jits you think i care how i spell it or pronounce it lol
    next you will be telling me you can levitate 5 inchs from the ground in a lotus position

bet you guys would bring a kyudo bow to a gun fight lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  20. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Kyudo bow? Did you just look that up too?

But with such lack of knowledge probably means your knowledge source may be flawed.

Do you have a video clip showing some basic techniques, either you or your school? Apologies if you have already posted one. When we see that we may be forced to admit you are correct.