What do MA think of the Abrahamic God?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dialectitian, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dialectitian

Dialectitian Banned Banned

This is it.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Irrelevant on the former and wrong about the latter

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

so god choses to stop us having faith...
    gos stops us from reaching paradise? sounds like a not very nice guy.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

So how do you explain the Babylonians?

5. Dialectitian

OK guys. Sorry. I am very sorry. I just got angry because I didnt feel comfortable being off topic. Also, from the perspective of my faith and belief, I shouldnt indulge in vain speech and I dont know if I am :( But it is not so significant.

Do you forgive me?

I want to ask Hannibal. How do you know Sumer isnt 7000 years old? And hence my belief?

And CrowZer0: Babylonia was inside Sumer in a spesific place, south Iraq. Sumer is ancient Iraq in it totality over different periods (like dynasties in China, maybe). One of the world wonders is the hanging gardens, it was in Babylon.

Peace ... I am sorry :(

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It utterly, utterly baffles me how a person can simultaneously think there isn't enough evidence to accept evolution by natural selection (when there clearly is) but there's enough evidence to accept that one religion amongst the thousands that have been invented is the correct one.
    If evidence is valued in any way then it should clearly be the other way around.
    Which essentially means evidence is not valued by such people.
    Which then also essentially means they are unreachable from a rational discussion point of view.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh and if I ever met Yahweh I'd say he should have done a much better job of writing/dictating the books that are attributed to him.
    I'm pretty sure I could write a better guide for life and morality in 140 characters.

8. Dialectitian

@Smitfire I believe in "adaptation" (and minor change) not "natural selection" as Darwinism suggests. But nothing I ever say will convince you, so we can agree to disagree ... until my brain cells evolve :p

9. Dialectitian

Actually thats a challenge for belivers in the Quran. To write a chapter like the Quran and call upon those whom we associate with Allah beside Him. And then he says, if you dont and you wont fear hell ... The cops will demolish you. Are you in USA? :D

10. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Personally, during my pledging process for the Fraternity I'm a part of, I've met many people who were Christian but either became agnostic or simply spiritual. Part of it stems from the understanding of the body and the inner workings and intricacies of each organism that it's too perfect to be possible. Granted that improvements are still in order.

I'm a Roman Catholic but I'm also a science major so I'm inclined to accept that there are some truths to evolution but only some. I believe micro evolution is around and to refute that is simply non-scientific, but macro evolution, that's a bit of a stretch. That's like saying millions of birds have killed themselves trying to burrow into tree, ultimately becoming a woodpecker. Personally, I'm having higher expectations of nature.

And in terms of the scientists who believed in God, Islam wasn't much of a thing in that world, it was mainly Christianity in some shape or form. If you think of Punnet Squares in biology to do the genes, and it's a basic 2 x 2 square.

God Exists | God Doesn't Exist
    Heaven | Cease to exist |Believe
    Hell | Cease to exist |Not Believe

In this case, there is really only three outcomes, one being a great one, one being a terrible one, and the last being kind of neutral. Granted, now there are many other religions that say you're going to hell if you don't believe so it's kinda a no win situation. Also in terms of proving God, that's why individuals have faith. You're only going to find out when it's too late, which one is the true religion.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The human body is far from perfect.

The fact that ultra religious countries refuse to accept science fact, just goes to show how corrosive "faith" is.

PS iirc the pope accepts evolution as a fact. So maybe there's hope after all.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. Dead_pool

But there were things before humans, therefore the world cannot be the same age as human civilisation.

13. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw[/ame]

What we have here is a classic taxi driver argument

14. GoldShifter

The Pope does accept evolution as fact, well in actuality, the Catholic Church has been believing that for a while. Like I mentioned, there are adaptations to be made, depending on a person's body type. The problem with evolution and the Catholic Church is when we get into the intricacies of it, such as macro and micro evolution. In that aspect, there is an argument.

15. Dialectitian

GoldShifter said something. He said Islam isnt a thing ... here, where you are. Not acknowledged. It is more Christianity. I am brutally honest and can therefore be rude, the the extent ... Ive ripped the cheek of a guy with my mouth, I went to prison because I wanted to kill my Grandmaster there in NanBudo, hes still alive, I punished this thought by starting a conflict with the government so I could go to prison. I have challenged the police all my life. So I havent seen "good" things.

I say some Christians use carrot and some Muslims use stick. We cant communicate you and I.

But Ill drop in from time to time. Maybe too often :p

16. Dead_pool

17. GoldShifter

In the case of religion, I'm on the party that people can believe whatever they'd like. I went to a Baptist school growing up mind you, and as a Catholic, you can bet I had a swell time over there. I was perfectly fine with having friends who were Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, Christian (of whatever denomination), among other religions, as well as Atheists, and we respected each other's beliefs and if somebody was inclined to identify with a certain religion, that was perfectly fine. They found a place for them within that community and that's what they liked so who were we, as friends, to pull them away from somewhere they felt comfortable.

18. GoldShifter

I was talking in regards to the notable scientists who chose a religious faith, which I learned to be Christianity. Due to their lifetime and the cultural influences, Islam may not have been something that had as strong of an influence or outreach in their country, in that time. In this day and age, every religion has the possibility for outreach. I didn't mean to offend you in any way, shape, or form, I was merely stating a possible reason those individuals chose Christianity rather than another form of religion. Anyway in doing so paved perfectly the way for my Punnet Square illustration :D

EDIT:
    I'm going to put this here so I don't triple post.
    So in terms of evolution, I most likely had a break in my train of thought, I was on the notion of individuals coming from nothing (without an influence of a God/Creator), which was what I perceived as macro evolution, at least, that's what I've been taught in school. Granted I went to religious school so they had their own little spin on it.

I do agree that evolution does occur, in that organism will be in a constant state of improving their "fitness" to the environment they are in. We can see this in all aspects of life, like lifting. By tearing muscles during lifting, you become stronger (in the most simplified way to put it), improving your performance so it takes more stress to tear them the next time. If you constantly tear muscles and there's no adaptation you're going to have a bad time, never getting stronger, but also limiting your life.

With respect to the Big Bang, with the Creation story, I would have assumed it been a Big Bang. That's not too hard to believe, and I've always had this idea that, yes in Genesis it is described as 7 days. But how do we know it's 7 days, the writer of the book was not there at the time, it was either recounted, seen in a vision, or inspired by God. In any case, a human's perception of a day is sun sets, moon rises, moon goes away, sun rises. That's a day. With an all powerful God, where He is believed to transcend time and other things like that (convenient eh?), 7 days for God or at least in the whole scheme of things, could have actually been 7,000 years for human. We don't know. The author of the book would have tried to describe it as best as possible but I would be hard pressed to believe that they could recount what they saw EXACTLY in the words they needed. Just look at Revelation, streets of gold, we don't know exactly if they need streets, but they probably looked gold to the author and as such, that's what he used to document it. With that in mind, a lot of things can happen, we could have evolved from a micro organism, but I don't know. I'm lightweight leaning on the side of all species created BUT, evolution occurred to specialize or improve the "fitness" of the species to their particular environment.

19. Dialectitian

It was your time to shine! I consider good Christians as brothers and sisters, and ... muwah! God conditiones belief, but he also conditions doing good things. I dont think the scientists whom served humanity by their inventions, like Thomas Edison and the light bulb, or Buddha, would go to hell.

20. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hi brother listen it's extremely naive to assume people believe in a 'Young Earth' creationist sense that the world is 7000 years old, solely based on their general religion. That is a clear jump to conclusion.

I would argue that most people that identify with those broad religious identities do not , in fact, believe the earth is younger than 10,000 years old. That's generally a 'fringe' belief. It could be more accurate to claim certain civilizations such as the Sumerian are X years old but even that is an extreme form of simplification. The elements are much, much older than all of the modern civilizations for which man has a name. In fact there is archaeological evidence that exists that essentially debunks every 'Young Earth' argument. It's hard to argue in a scientific sense that the Earth is only 10,000 or so years old when science can date man-made objects to a time when there was no written record of any sort. In fact using writing at all as a sort of measuring tape for the age of Earth is absurd. It's clear man exists for eons before he began to write things down, including things about God (in the Abrahamic sense).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.