What constitutes a 'real' fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Guyin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

In an effort to identify the meaning of the term ' a real fight', what is your example/definition in your experience/opinion? ;)

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HPvZ17peI&feature=player_embedded"]Street Fight Skate Park Brutal Knockout - YouTube[/ame]

The minute these two chest up... there's a good chance it's going to become a fight. The minute Mr. Baseball cap does the whole hand towards the other guys head it's all fair for a fight. He gets caught out as the other guy gets off first (the hook to the chin) and sustains (the head kick) the attack. The other guy goes down. End of.

That's a fight in my book. I don't have to wait for the written invitation or anything else. Two people escalating it verbally and chesting up to one and other is going to be a fight. Classic. I'd seen it dozens of times in jr. highschool... :p

Are there longer fights? Yes. More even fights? Yes? Fights where both guys get off and scrap for an extended period? Yes. But that doesn't negate the fact the both people here stepped up and were game. One of them just didn't get off and wasn't smart enough to keep his distance... so he payed the price.

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

and there's a street fight... with some dire consequences. Fight's have 'em. There you go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5BMgUb9klQ"]YouTube[/ame]

5. Rand86

^ What never ceases to amaze me about stuff like that... what kind of an idiot do you have to be to let someone stand around filming you? :bang:

6. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

Yep. and very nasty it was.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

A real fight is a contest of force in which two or more parties are attempting to defeat one another.

8. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

To be fair I am being a little difficult in interpretation...

eg a simple example: some years ago I was asked to intervene in an 'incident' where upon I was attacked by a youth who came swinging, punching and throwing stuff at me. Fortunately it was an easy task to stiffle the little ***** and restrain him.

I don't consider this to be a real fight.

9. Rand86

And yet, using the definition provided by Hannibal, it was.

Why pick a definition that excludes yourself?

10. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

Why not?

I had plenty of fights when I was at school and they would be what I call 'real fights' at that time (kids stuff). vicious, desperate, challenging, frightening and often bloody.

Again, I suggest that manhandling a flailing drunken dick-head from a club is not a real fight.

11. Rand86

Because by doing so you are effectively lessening the value of your own experiences.

A guy came out swinging at you and you handled him without causing him any undue harm. That's great. Seriously, my hat's off to you. I doubt many people would have the skills or the temper to handle it like that - myself included.

By Hannibal's definition, it constitutes a "real fight," and one it sounds you handled pretty well. That's something to be proud of, not something to scoff at for not meeting some harebrained criteria.

Funny thing about definitions... they're dime a dozen. No reason why you can't pick and choose the ones you like.

12. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

Situations like this never cease to amaze me... What kind of an idiot/moron/deranged individual do you have to be to brutally beat the guy that is lying unconscious?! :mad:

Regarding the question as what constitutes as fight, I would have to agree with the explanation I goggled under the term "fight"...

Fight is a violent confrontation or struggle between two or more individuals.

13. Rand86

It's probably sad that this part DOESN'T amaze me... :rolleyes:

I am beginning to notice a pattern here. :p

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

By definition, some sport martial arts become fights. MMA guys in a cage = fight. Boxing is a fight, kumite is a fight.

15. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

That is sad... :( I would deal with such individuals swiftly and harshly... Only if I were The Law as Hannibal... :rolleyes:

Well... There are just so many different definitions on what constitutes as a fight. ;)

By some rigid definition, I agree. They could be perceived as fights. But all Martial Art competitions are performed in controlled environment with usually strict set of rules, so that cannot be compared with a "real fight". Especially when you see something as dreadful as the clip posted above...

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh come on, do we really need a definition for a fight?

17. Rand86

As good a reason as any. :p

Which seem to differ more in phrasing than anything else. ;)

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's when people start hitting each other and stuff. Come on, this is not difficult.

19. Rand86

^ You're REALLY no fun today, you know. :p

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Guyin your problem is that you are inconsistent in the level for your definitions

If I "move a dick who is drunk" then that is not a fight according to you. If the same drunk gives me a problem when I am moving him, punching, kicking and so forth to the extent that I find myself trading blows then it IS a fight according to you.

So in other words if I am highly skilled an can end things quickly it is not a fight.

Did Joe Lauzon and Melvin Guillard not have a fight because it was over too quickly?

Like I said before - It is any act of violence directed against an individual

That covers off ALL configurations of a combaive encounter without entering into meaningless semantics