what can I do with one arm?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by righty, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Righty, I used your signature in email for some time, liked it a lot.

Now, apply it. Whatever made your injury, committed a tactical error: you are still alive, will come back fighting.

Friend of mine had his humerus broken in 48 bits in a scooter accident. He went to the ground at slow speed inside the city. He managed to slide in a good position with the right protection, but... he hit the curb and the bike hit his elbow at the exact angle to smash it to smithereens. He still rides a scooter.

You'll need lots of recovery to get your arm back. Do it.

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Ahh just watched the first video. Note he doesn't fully lockout which is the bit I had trouble imagining as arms generally aren't long enough to lock out at the traps and have the hand stay in the centre line while staying straight.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well, you can, technically, but there's the risk of punching yourself in the naughty bits :p

also efferding is a competitive bodybuilder as well as a powerlifter, so he's probably lost a bit of ROM simply due to sheer muscle mass. anyway, shouldn't be too hard to lock out if you don't go too heavy and simply do reps (which will be easier than in normal deadlifts wince the weight will be lower, at least until you build a forearm that's bigger than your thigh :p)

4. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Malazan Book of the Fallen is an amazing series, long, and a tricky read, but well worth it!

David Eddings is great too!

I'd also suggest David Gemmel (The Dranei 'Series' will keep you going)

and Robin Hobb

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're worried about falling of the bench, do floor presses instead.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Hope you get better soon Righty.

As for spending more time on MAP, that's good news from our POV, because I think you always talk a lot of good sense. But beware of forming an untreatable MAP addiction. It's a habit that can take years to break... :cry:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. righty

righty Valued Member

But of an update. It doesn't look like I need any more work done except short and long term rehab.

I renewed my membership at my favourite power lifting gym as I can squat using the safety bar and starting to front squat using cross hand grip. Still can't risk catastrophic failure in a number lift so not working so close to max as I used to but...

I CAN SQUAT.

Wheeeee. Still no ma training for a while though. But instead I just discovered mass effect 1 has been released on ps3 and I think I might just be able to use the controller now. Awesomeness.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good news all round there then! :)

Best wishes for a full and swift recovery! :)

9. Fish Of Doom

for avoiding failure on squats, you can always do anderson squats (aka rack squats, dead squats, etc) where you start from the bottom, with the bar on the safety pins. this way the squat is always limited to a depth which you should be able to do, and in the event of failure the pins will stop you from getting pinned under the bar. anderson front squats are also pretty sweet for the mid-back and abs, btw.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

zombie squats too i guess?

11. Fish Of Doom

they're front squats too, just without hands on the bar.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I wish you the quickest recovery possible Righty. :) Please take care of yourself.

Being that my stomach has gone South and I've had WAY too much free time to spend reading and watching every damn thing ever put on video lately, I'll be happy to make some recommendations outside the scifi/fantasy genres if you specify what criteria for entertainment you enjoy the most.

Generally speaking, I recommend The Shield, Breaking Bad, and Arrested Development as my three favorite TV series in the history of TV.

I also recommend playing turn-based strategy video games. They should allow for plenty of unidexterity as they do not require any quick reactions to enjoy. I'm a big fan of the X-Com series, and there is a very recent release presently available which I found enjoyable, albeit too short for my taste. It is heavily moddible for the PC for plenty of replayability.

13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i did some belt squats earlier, surprising tough at low weight, no hands required (except to tie the belt/setup)

14. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Last friday I met a guy who used to be quite good at muay thai and kick boxing, was considering going pro. A few years ago he had a motorbike accident and his right arm is and will always be useless (he 'wears' it with his hand in his pocket).

He cannot do full contact anymore, as it would be easy to defeat him, but he is back doing what he called 'my one armed' muay thai. He mentioned it has helped him a lot psychologically to be back 'fighting'.

Of course this is not your case, as you are recovering. But I found the story inspiring.