What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Read Gathering Prey by John Sandford, had some interesting ideas but it seemed a bit confused.
    Now reading The Skull Throne by Peter Brett.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Me too! :)

Just finished The Book Thief. It was absolutely brilliant. Not the kind of book I would normally read. It was recommended to my by my mum (a retired English teacher) and I am so glad I read it. The basic story about a young girl's experience in Germany during the war. The twist is that it is narrated by Death. I had to get my head out of Death being the character in Discworld and into the new Death, but it was worth it.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Bold part by me.
    Just curious, as I was recommended the book as well (and would read it anyway at some point... well, once I get it...) was that a spoiler or is it something that gets explained early on?

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Regarding the skull throne - a lot happens in it, there is a lot of character stuff. But after x hundred pages the plot is not advanced one bit (although it is side-waysed a lot).

I found this rather disappointing what do others think?

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's explained fairly early in the book, so it's not really a spoiler.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thanks for the answer!

Only thing I know (knew, would be more correct, as I forgot most of it) was the summary on the cover ^^

7. Ben Gash CLF

Just read Lions Roar San Da: Combined Old and New Methods by occasional MAPper David Ross.
    I will confess I've had this for a few months and skimmed it and put it on the shelf feeling a little disappointed. I own several of David's DVDs and have spoken to him for years on the KFM forum (and he was a major influence when I first got into San Shou), and the book didn't seem to offer anything new.
    However having sat down and actually read it through it's a very interesting read. While in terms of techniques it didn't really offer me anything new, the insights into training approach and program development are fascinating and valuable.

8. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

Reading Level Up Your Life by Steve Kamb. He puts a different spin on the standard self help books.

9. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Gray Work - Confessions of an American Paramilitary Spy by Jamie Smith.

Picked this up last year in hardback at water stones, as it looked interesting, purporting to be the redacted memoirs of an ex CIA trained operative, now turned the CEO of a defence contractor company and former high level employee of Blackwater. It sat on my shelf gathering dust for ages. After finishing the book on the British redcoat army in the West Indies I thought this would be something different seeing how security operatives worked today. Much of the book has to do with the author being sent to Libya during the recent revolution to sound out the different rebel groups and gather information on behalf of a senator in the US.

Now the book is interesting enough and sounds plausible, but there was something not quite... I don't know right about this. I'm a civilian, and certainly not military...but I read around a bit and while this guy talked the talk with acronyms and counter surveillance methods and such like that I have heard being used, there was something not quite right about some things he was writing. It's when he talked about combat training with a guy who studied in a Chinese monestary in Hawaii, that he no longer used those methods and that he now rips people's ears off in more functional combatives that it made me raise an eyebrow. When he said he was recruited by the CIA as an undergraduate, I smelled a rat. While it's true that MI6 in The Uk have approached in the past university Postgrad students with specific technical skills, the idea that an intelligence agency would recruit a guy barely out of freshers week for operational stuff during the First Gulf war was I thought clearly bonkers. So I quickly did a bit of digging. And I came across this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1926591/spy-who-scammed-us

Safe to say I skimmed read the rest of the book to get through all the nonsense. Worst thing is this guy actually scammed a couple out of their money to set up his own security company, which gained training contracts from the US airforce before the barred him.

I'm going to give it to the charity shop, even though I feel scammed I bought this nonsense in quality hardback. The only thing I'm mulling over is if it's necessary I pencil in the inside cover that the author is as one ex CIA official described in the link above "full of "horse****" for anyone who buys it from the charity shop.

The fraud in this strong in this one

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. Ben Gash CLF

Put Skull Throne down for a bit, wasn't feeling it.
    Reading Red Seas Under Red Skies, which is much better than people have led me to believe.
    Also reading The Complete Renaissance Swordsman.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Finished Red Seas..., I enjoyed it nearly as much as the first book, I don't know why people are so down on it.
    Rereading The Wise Man's Fear.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Reading Preacher: Gone to Texas in preparation for the TV show

13. Tinasweetman

Tinasweetman New Member

Lord of the flies

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was surprised about it, but I was actually having a tough time with that boo and had to force myself to keep going.

Not sure if the was books "fault", or because the writing was so tiny and narrow, that it was just pure stress on the eyes.

15. Tinasweetman

Tinasweetman New Member

I know a lot of people who read it when they were in school and had enjoyed it. If you have to force yourself to read something it probably means you're not enjoying it.

Finding it interesting so far

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I read it after school.

I seriously could not 100% say what the reason was, I had so much trouble with it.
    The idea was good; the story was okay; I don' remember how I liked the writing style, to be honest; but the printing was so incredibly small, that it could really be part the reason, why I didn't enjoy it too much.
    When you have to strain your eyes all the time, it takes the fun out of everything; for me anyway ^^

17. Tinasweetman

Tinasweetman New Member

Copy of the book I have has quite large font. Are you reading anything good at the moment?

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The last dozen or so books probably were some Star Wars books :D

Someone I know got himself the Maze Runner trilogy, didn't like it and gave it to me, so I guess I will give those a try.

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Tokyo Vice

'Confession is for the confessor...' - ?

:topic:

20. Ben Gash CLF

Read The Hard Way by Lee Child in just over 24 hours. Mindless fun but fairly well executed.