What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Herbo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Getting ready for my green belt grading at the end of the month

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Nice, I remember my green belt grading as if it were only yesterday. 3 fights, 3 ippons and a bit of theory. First time I'd felt I'd performed as well as I could in a contest.

Do you fight for your grades still in Ireland?

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Great thread... we have so many bleedin' judokas that show up to the BJJ comps these days so it pays to have a bit of knowledge in the basics. Not that I do... lol.... but I managed to pull off tomoe nage three times in one comp. Ironically it's not something I use in training at all... I suspect it was implanted in my brain by seeing it on TV shows as a kid. :p

So now I'm actually working with guys at the gym who do have a judo background to make it better. :D

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Glad to hear some judoka are coming along and showing you filthy butt scooters how to grapple properly ;)

Nice job on tomoe nage, or the batman throw as I like to call it. The only problem with that throw at lower levels is that people resort to it when their knackered 4 minutes into a fight and cant stand up anymore. Then 9/10 times their opponent just steps off and holds them down.

P.S. I also train some BJJ some the initial comment was in jest if no-one got it.

5. finite monkey

To get your blue belt and beyond we have to grade outside of the club and fight for your belt

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Nice, I've enjoyed fighting for my grades. How many contests do you have to win?

7. finite monkey

I'll tell you when I go for my blue ;]

8. finite monkey

I'm a green belt baby!

9. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Nice, what did you have to do?

10. finite monkey

O goshi