What are some other arts that best complement JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Concept Styles, Apr 7, 2006.

1. neb

neb Banned Banned

I don't know where this idea of myself being solely a text book martial artist has come from, but it is simply not true. And it detracts from the more important issue at hand about one's understanding, not just approach, to Bruce Lee's philosophy of JKD.

I hope that one day you will look into the mirror and admit your own limits of self-actualisation.

I have done nothing but uphold Bruce Lee's original teachings, nothing I have said or done has abused the philosophy Bruce Lee died for, which is much more than I can say for you.

So before you accuse me of not knowing 'what I'm talking about.' - I suggest you hang the ego and look at yourself. Do you really believe you have it all figured out? That you have found all the puzzle pieces and have made a picture far more worthy than that of anyone elses attempt?

If so, then you have stopped growing as a human being.

You can learn everything you're "supposed" to learn from the "supposed" masters, you can learn your Jun fan gung fu, you may go and study every art Bruce Lee studied in the exact same order he did so.

And all you will have accomplished is a false attunement of Bruce Lee's wish for all his fellow martial artists, and indeed, human beings. That is freedom from false liklihood of routine and systematic effort.

Self knowledge cannot come from anybody but you. Just remember that. As Bruce Lee did.

And before you call to your mummy or bobby to come and save the day with their absolute wisdom, consider why it is so hard for you to reconsider your original understanding on what Bruce Lee was trying to convey. Or must you accept whatever your "master" tells you? And remain ignorant to your own potential as you accept all you are told as the set way of compulsory necessity?

That's not what martial arts are about, forget JKD for a moment here. And fighting in it's isness and totality is certainly not such an unalive thing, but rather is a moment where we are unbound by principle and conventional means, and must bend any which way so as to adapt to the format that the situation dictates.

I allready know what Bruce Lee would say to such attitudes as yours, in his smug smile with shoulders being shrugged;

"Get a life, or remain in your line man."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

ok neb, so so many holes to what you wrote.
    you can understand a concept, but you need to pratice pratical techqiues to apply the concept.you need to understand lee idea's on martial arts and that would be jun fan.

yeah i openly admit i hvae limits in my training but everyday i work on them,kinda glad i got limits cos it means i keep training hard.

what have i or have i not done? confused. but you spout all this bruce lee stuff, but do not state who or where you get it, so say all this stuff but miss vitial points like the jun fan and learning of a proper instructor.

i have not figured it out or got all the peices of the puzzles have not said any of the rubbish you wrote. all the stuff you write sugguests you don't know wha you are saying.my echo has nothing to do with the rubbish you contiue to write.

see another bit of wrtitng that suggest you have not fully understood it.
    you learn jun fan to understand bl thought process and the concepts of jkd then once you have the base, you then research arts to improve your jkd.
    yeah all knowledge will become self knowledge, but like everything else some one provides the information, does not just come to your mind as you walk down the street.
    you really do say some stuipd stuff don't you.
    yeah i listen to what people like bob say and i think about it and i find what suits me in context of what he says. they got far far more wisdom than you.
    maybe you should understand what bruce lee was trying to say.
    as for the last bit od that sentence you do write some rubbish real rubbish

and all you have done is come up with whatever bits you have learned and called it what its not.

yes that i agree with.

really know him that well, not bad considering you never meet,hey small detail

so do you have a jkd instructor???

3. neb

neb Banned Banned

Oh....

My....

God.

You imply one thing in prior posts, then all of a sudden change your views for the sake of giving an argument that fits.

Then again it's hard to understand what you're getting at when you convey your views in such a poorly written way. Apologies if English is not your first language though.

I have obviously interpreted Bruce Lee's ideas differently to you, so shoot me! But because our views are different in one area doesn't mean you can suggest everything I do is opposite to you. For instance I highly regard my training as very important, I do train under certified Jeet kune do instructors (with regular weekly classes), and I do not just talk about it.

So really, I can't write anything without having more responses written loosely and quite confusingly being thrown back at me (whether from you or the other users posting regularly here), making it difficult for me to understand what you think I am getting wrong or misunderstanding, because quite frankly, I do not believe you have figured out what you think yet either.

This is becoming a joke, it's got to stop for the sake of our own dignity. It's not the end of the world and no harm done.

And lastly... I... Hey another peanut! :)

(You can decide for yourself if this peanut business has an underlying metaphorical meaning trying to be expressed or if I just really like peanuts. :Angel: )

PS - I prefer Almonds, more magnesium!

4. tel

sorry but don't change my views just to argue
    don't see a problem with the way i wrote it.

the problem is not that idea's are different its some of the stuff you say and claim that anything is jkd.so who is your jkd instructor??

my views on the concepts don't change but my views on training do, because i research my methods.
    you say learning from a jkd instructor is against the idea of jkd even tho you have one and you can throw anything together and call it jkd, thats where people are saying your wrong

not gonna make any more comments on this, but would like to know who your instructor is,and what other art you do? if we know your background might be able to see where you are coming from

5. neb

neb Banned Banned

Stop putting words in my mouth. If users here want to know what I think, then they should refer to posts that I have written, instead of believing what you are saying about my views e.g. 'learning under a JKD instructor is forbidden'. - when the hell did I say that?

As I said earlier this is obviosuly going nowhere so might as well calmly drop it - yet you insist on proving my point.

And my problems with your writing are as follows: Constant and consistent misspellings, misplaced grammer, and disregard for punctuation i.e. full stops, commas when needed and capitals.

So forgive me for going WTF? to half the stuff you write. :bang:

Oh, and by the way, Bruce Lee wanted us to view martial arts without a strict regard for an absolute syllabus and without being tied down by conventional means. Keep in mind that I AM NOT saying to ignore these things as that leaves one in the dark about what the hell they should be doing. Just don't be limited by it. So ask yourself, are you being limited by it?

"A successful combination of both naturalness and unnaturalness."

If you agree, then there's nothing to argue about.

6. tel

[/QUOTE]
    am only gonna reply to this part as replying to the rest is pointless and going nowhere.
    i agree with you on this section.
    as for me being limited to a syllabus, anyone that knows me will know im not.
    but when i said to you go do a bit with bob or in dartford you simply said training with these guys was against learning jkd.
    back to the syllabus question. you learn a tma and then oyu absorb what is useful from it, so might be only two things

7. Atharel

Atharel Errant

like jun fan?

8. tel

yeah like jun fan,even tho its the base art. you might like two things

9. neb

neb Banned Banned

So it can be anything. But jun fan is a must?

10. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

U guys really dont understand JKD......
    IT IS NOT A COMPLETE ART AND IT NEVER WILL BE>>
    Thats the beauty of JKD it... as Bruce said should adapt. If Bruce was alive today JKD would be different. This is because he was always looking into different arts and adding anything he found to JKD. JKD was never supposed to be a finished product.... it was always supposed to be "in the making"

11. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Who cares?

Just train and become stronger and faster and better. Be who you are, not intiminating a dead man.

12. tel

at first yes. jun fan is the base of jkd, you can not have one without the other. jun fan is the practical way you learn the jkd concepts. like learning a course at collage, you have the theroy(the concepts) then you have the practical (jun fan). once you understand both, you might only think two things fit you in jun fan, but you have learned the process of jkd.

no think your missing the point. we all know jkd would of changed thats a giving because the proof is there, in what lee was doing in his life time,and when you say its not a complete art well that does not mean much because jkd is a personal thing..but you are correct in the process or making bit you wrote, he point here to truly understand the jkd process you need to understand what lee was doing. so you need to learn the jun fan art

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  13. tel

the people who try to be another bruce lee are just plain sad, but the point is to keep jkd like the way its desiged and not confuse or take people money for learning stuff that is not jkd then there has to be an understanding of what jkd is,

14. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

15. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

You have part of it. First, no martial art is really complete. JKD was not complete but today it can be complete depending on the artist.

To say "if Bruce were alive today JKD would be differant" is a loaded statement because you or I know the answer to what Bruce would be doing. No even his closest friends could answer that.

I agree that is never finished and always evolving but "purely conceptual" JKD is MMA or JKD can be anything is isn't "it."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  16. neb

neb Banned Banned

True, yes. But that's a very vague way of looking at it, too vague.

It's no good saying "just get better" because there comes a point where you wonder "How do I continue progressing without backtracking?"

Bruce Lee's ideas and theory's are a unique and powerful look into how one can reach their potential as a great fighter, using a complex, yet simplistic, and very personal approach.

You cannot expect, say, a beginner to know what to do to become better from the very get go. we all need a reference point, all traditional martial arts styles reference the "way forward" from their founders.

So, we will reference Bruce Lee's way of thinking as best we can when analysing our own progress.

I'm not imitating Bruce Lee, but that doesn't mean I cannot gain inspiration or knowledge from his teachings.

17. tel

people thar cross train with no jun fan is mma.but jkd can be anything in a sense as long as you have a base in jun fan and through that kearned the process of jeet kune do

18. neb

neb Banned Banned

Hence, Jeet kune do is a style of fighting and learning to fight based on absolute grounded ways of doing and approaching materials.

Thanks for clearing that up.

19. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I study both JKD and Krav Maga, and these are a perfect compliment to each other.
    I am also looking into Combat Judo, and Keysi jsut to see what else I can add, I think that's the thing JKD it's not so much a style as an amalgam of many styles taking what works what is effective to add to itself and discarding what is ineffective.
    It's also a good style for individuals of different body types because it allows for this and helps you discover what are the right techniques for you particularly if your a small person against a bigger opponent, so my round about answer would be JKD is what you make of it and can be apllied to almost all styles.

20. tel

no, not a style, but the framework to which to work if its the priciples laid down by bruce lee, so people can do what they choose as long as they go by the prinicple and concepts of jkd.jun fan will give you the base to start from,

when i say mma, i am not talking about the sport kind, its just cross training.
    now the jkd can be applied to any art, so lets say kung fu.
    you apply the principles of jkd, find your igorance, so forth, but it doesn't make it jkd, its still kung fu. but its part of your personal jkd. so could be called applied kung fu.
    jkd is the name of the principles so once you have applied them to kung fu, then you have gone past the principle and the name jkd.
    so if you are cross training and have not trained in jun fan, then you should use another name

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006