What a good book

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

When I am in the Philippines I always make a point of stopping at the National Book Store to see what I can pick up, I have picked up some real gems in the past.

Well this time I picked up 2 books one of which I have just finished reading which is called: Bonifacio's Bolo. Now the name intreaged me and I thought I would get some accounts of real Bolo fights. But to my surprise it had nothing to do with FMA at all. It was in fact written by a newpaper journalist who goes by the name of Ambeth R, Ocampo. And he spent a lot of his time going through the archives and records relating to local Pinoys during the Spanish and American colonisation period.

Now if you want to really get into the Pinoy mind of the past and to some extent of the present day I would suggest you go out and get a copy. If you cant get to the national book store the try finding it on Amazon. ISBN 971-27-0418-1

All I can say is I was pleasantly surprised and it was a dam good read. I am going on to my next book which is a true story of a young boy who joined the Philippine resistance movement during the Japanese occupation. I will let you know more when I have read it.

Best regards

Pat

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

You got a good deal there Pat, The only copy I could find on Amazon was £118 :eek:

Any chance I could "borrow" your copy ;)

3. Pat OMalley

Jeez maybe I should sell it at a vast profit as it only cost me £2.50.

Let me know when we meet up again and I will bring it along, and maybe let you have a sniff for a fiver:)

Yeah, no probs mate.

Best regards

Pat

4. Pat OMalley

Sorry, correction, it cost me P150 which at the current exhange rate at the time was around £1.65. Phew for a moment there I thought I was being ripped off.

Just a thought for my Pinoy Bro's out there, why not pop along to the National Book Store and buy a few copies, log them on to Amazon and hey presto some good reading at a profit:D

Best regards

Pat

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ambeth ocampo is one of my favorite writers. will get myself a copy.

6. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

oooh, i'm intrigued. gotta get myself a copy too.

-nico-

7. Pat OMalley

Then you can sell it on Amazon for a cut price fee of only $100. what a deal. Good read then a profit to boot.

Best regards

Pat

8. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

that's actually a great idea! i'm gonna have a whole box shipped over here, then i'mma sell it on amazon! $$$ :D $$$ $$$ :D $$$ $$$ :D $$$

-nico-

9. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Ambeth Ocampo is actually more of a noted Jose Rizal (the Philippine's national hero) scholar than he is an expert about Andres Bonifacio. Another good book recommendation is "Rizal without the overcoat," by the same said Ocampo. If you want to read fiction about the heroism of ordinary Filipinos, read Francisco Sionil Jose's "Dusk." Not really an easy read but its hard not to get caught up in the fluid prose of Sionil Jose, the PHilippine's greatest writer in the English language.

10. kalulua

kalulua Valued Member